Charger Forums banner

Scat Pack Stg 1 dyno numbers

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Another_rt 
#1 · (Edited)
Off to the dyno tomorrow to establish a baseline first.

Baseline is 319hp/342tq. Mustang Dyno, engine temp 225 with a closed hood. I will put on the mopar intake this afternoon, and will take it back to the dyno to see what it will produce.

My plan is to install the CAI only and then dyno - thus identifying if there are any real gains to be had from the mopar version.

Okay folks, Mopar CAI numbers are in. Keep in mind, all dynos have degrees of variance between them, as well as SAE v Smoothing, and weather factors. Since I used the same dyno with a single mod added, I hope this gives a good indicator of what this particular CAI can do.

Run #1: Closed hood, drove it right off the street and on the rollers and strapped it down. Run started 10 minutes later.
327hp/354tq. That's a gain of 8/12.

Run #2: Open hood, engine was off for 15 minutes. The dyno operator placed some fans at the front of the car. 351hp/386tq. That's a gain of 32/44, but unrealistic with the open hood, so I'm not going to brag that I added 32 horsepower.

I did get a check engine light after run #2, will investigate that later.

Then I'll do the corsa exhaust install. The idea is to keep the stock airbox in the car, and dyno the exhaust with the factory box. This way I can isolate each component and validate if there are any gains.

Once those dynos are done, I will put the CAI back on, drive down the street to Dodge, and have them install the scat pack PCM.

Final dyno will have the entire sp1 installed (except the 'high performance' oil filter) to see the package numbers.

Stay tuned!
Chris

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Chris, would love to see those numbers, did you do a previous Dyno without the CAI? I hear they do not matter much but was curious? Cannot wait to see the final numbers.

#3 ·
No, first dyno tomorrow will be bone stock. Then I will add the parts individually, culminating with the sp1 PCM for a final scat pack HP/TQ number over stock.

I've seen recently that dodge increased the advertised numbers to 20hp over the initial 18hp when the package first came out.

I'm also inclined to dyno the car with the hood closed, for real world numbers, rather than a cooled engine with two external fans blowing during the dyno pulls.

#4 ·
Make sure you are driving the car for about an hour between dyno runs after each mod or you will be fooled by the results if the adaptives don't have time to adjust.

It's the trick aftermarket CAI vendors like K&N use to make big claims that don't really exist.

Run stock...then swap to their CAI and run again. WOW! big gains.

Then run 50 miles and all of the so called gains are gone once the adaptives adjust.

Reactions: ski2014
#8 ·
Also very interested to see the results.

I was super excited to get SP1 on my 2014 RT max, but went went a different route.

After reading many reviews and watching videos, I elected to get the Corsa extreme and mopar CAI. A lot of people who have the Corsa sport (what comes with the SP1 I believe) were wishing they had opted for the extreme. I am super happy with the extreme and mopar CAI but also wonder how much performance gains the update PCM will give. The general consensus is that a custom tune will be as good or better than the Mopar PCM swap.

#9 · (Edited)
To Livewire, it's a 2014.

Googeletech, I am also a believer that a custom tune from any of the big names will be superior to a factory 'tune'

After talking with Mikey at speedlogix (where I purchased the SP) and looking at the box the PCM came in, it is now common knowledge that Mopar sends the PCM to arrow racing (same as the SP2 PCM). I didnt know that.

Finally, after driving the car with the new CAI on, I can feel a difference, as well as the sound. Look for a full write-up in the product review section.

Also surprised how small the SP bumblebee badges are. Good thing I've got some custom ones on the way.

Dyno slot tomorrow at 1030 for CAI numbers. Any guesses?
This will be hood closed, first run numbers. I dont want to game the dyno and get higher numbers by using ice on the intake manifold or point huge fans at the engine.

I'm just eager to see if the claims put out by Mopar are true.

Ski

#10 ·
Nice numbers! Finally someone dyno's the scat pack stage kits. Check engine lite is normal after a dyno run. (For me anyway.) It goes away with time.:beerchug:

#11 ·
Yep, it went away shortly after I drove it again this afternoon.

Just put on the corsa 'sport' mopar exhaust. Sounds great - not sure I'm gonna dyno just the exhaust though. I've got an appt on Monday for the Scat Pack PCM install.

Then we'll get to see the final numbers!

Ski

Reactions: ascrouch
#13 ·
Stage 1 PCM installed today. Funny conversation with the service tech about what I wanted exactly. I thought he would have figured it out when I pulled out the PCM from the box. "Where did you get that?" he asked.

So driving impressions: feels smoother, more 'connected', but that could by the brain dyno thinking about the CAI and exhaust.

Exhaust note is different, but I still have to put my foot in it to hear anything.

Final test was to let my wife drive it - she has not driven it with the CAI or exhaust. "feels sort of faster?" she says....

Will take it to the dyno next week and get the final numbers. I'm not anticipating any higher gains than previously mentioned from the CAI dyno.

At least now I can finally put these badges on the car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.