Charger Forums banner

Knock knock knocking on dodge heavens door.... Rocker Arms assembly noise. Video*

8K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  msnyder1112 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
It sounds to me like you lost the roll pin/dowel pin on one of the heads and the camshaft canted and is starving off the oil in the head.

Take a screwdriver and put the tip on the valve cover and put the otherside to your ear and listen. Which ever valve cover is making the noise is the one that lost the pin and canted.

Here is a post that Art...one of our customers.....posted a while back before he sold his Charger and got a Camaro.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152670

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#3 ·
It sounds to me like you lost the roll pin/dowel pin on one of the heads and the camshaft canted and is starving off the oil in the head.

Take a screwdriver and put the tip on the valve cover and put the otherside to your ear and listen. Which ever valve cover is making the noise is the one that lost the pin and canted.

Here is a post that Art...one of our customers.....posted a while back before he sold his Charger and got a Camaro.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152670

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Is it safe to drive to my mechanics place? ~12km away?

#7 ·
Can you believe that in Thunder Bay.. we don't have these pre-assembled... I have to buy them and ship them from the states... I can get all the pieces and build it myself.. but gosh who has 7 hours to do that.

#12 ·
And the car is now silent and I haven't even changed the rocker arms yet.... can I drive it safely? LOL I got half of the parts.. wasn't aware I was supposed to order gaskets... which leads me to another question... which gaskets do I actually need?
Valve cover gaskets and upper intake manifold gaskets?

#13 ·
If the noise disappeared, then it was a transient issue of oil not getting into all of the galleries. Unless it returns, you are safe to drive it. It sounds like you should run it more often and keep everything flowing properly.

#16 ·
Strange... Hopefully it stays silent and continues on for many more years of service! :)

#19 ·
My wife is pretty close to work (7-8 miles) so her SUV doesn't really get up to temperature as it should.
Had some ticking issues and cured them by driving the car a bit more every few days to get it up to temp better and burn off the crud in the oil.

Helps a lot.

Griz

And keep in mind that the issue you are repairing doesn't happen to every one of these cars, just some of the lucky ones and yours may never need to be fixed.

#20 ·
It sounded like crap when I started it this morning, so I left it at home and took the Hemi. Thank God for owning two cars. The dealership want to charge me $100+ for the gaskets ughhh I hate them so much.

#21 ·
Not that I recommend it, but when I swapped motors in my 3.5L 06, I had to swap the wiring harness as the donor motor was an 07 and intake was different. In swapping it, it was easier to also do the valve covers so it all mounted up all pretty like.

Well guess what I didn't have? Gaskets for the valve covers. I cleaned 'em up and cleaned the surface of the heads where they go on really well and they don't leak a drop.

I do lead a charmed life though. Your results may vary.

LOL.

Griz

#25 · (Edited)
Always cool, when a woman isn't afraid to get her hand greasy, or turn a wrench. Good on you. :clap:

Yeah, I agree with Ddaddy, don't cut corners. It may save an hour today to skip a step, but cost you a few hours of repeating a job later if it leads to an issue. Not worth saving the hour now, to redo it later. That step is in the instructions for a reason, and it's not just to fill lines on the paper.

PS. Broken ankle huh? As odd as it sounds, you got lucky, I f-ed mine all up a while ago, and was down for nearly a year between the reconstrucion, and rehab. The real kicker is that it was my right foot so I couldn't drive (my wife had to be my chauffeur). The surgeon told me that if I had "only" broken a bone it would have been a much quicker fix. Like breaking your ankle is a minor thing or something. Hope it heals quick for you, and if you're really lucky it's your left foot, so you can still drive.

#28 ·
Well it's fixed... and after trying for 30min with 3 men to get the timing cover thing off.. we abandoned it. After calling a mechanic to ask if it was necessary.. apparently it wasn't. The car is sooooooo quiet now.

Thanks to the vote of confidence that was given to me, but there wasn't a snowballs chance in Hawaii that I would have been able to do this repair on my own. I'm simply not big enough, strong enough or skilled enough. Perhaps now that I've seen it done I could do it, with some extra man muscles. The local car club member (some of them) came out and gave me a hand. :D

#33 · (Edited)
I just ordered all of the parts to do one side. I want to do both, but can't afford all! One side cost me about 250 bucks. I got the rocker assembly on ebay for 200 bucks! (can't beat that!) Gaskets/seals and other bits and pieces ran about 50 bucks on Amazon.

From what I hear, make sure to replace all gaskets and USE A TORQUE WRENCH!!!!!!!

EDIT::

Jeez. apparently i'm bringing back and old thread. I apologize.... I will be doing this repair soon! :)

#36 ·
Well, I completed the repair..... didn't do the sparkplugs, dangit! but broke a valve cover bolt. so I need to get back in there and put the correct one. I just drilled a smaller one in right now.

Also, I posted but no one has responded to my thread yet, but on the passenger side behind the manifold was a smaller hose with a plastic cap that looked to have a pinhole, looked like it came out of the tranny. i couldnt find out where to put it, any idea what it is?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.