Charger Forums banner

Srt or rt

17K views 90 replies 24 participants last post by  BeEasy 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a charger but with the huge price difference between srt and rt models is it really worth it for the srt?

#3 ·
In your heart, do you really thing this is even a question ?

Reactions: TeamShonuff
#9 ·
If the SRT is in your budget, go for it.

R/T is also a fine machine

#11 ·
Base RT is 32K scat pack with 392 is 39K not much of a difference in price, but you get alot more! The jump from scat to SRT seems like it not worth it (39k to 47K) except for bragging rights, bigger brakes, bigger wheels and ADS. This gap doesnt seem right but if you can get a scat pack out the door under 40K that would be a nice deal!

#12 ·
Depends which generation you are talking about. If you are in the 2015 market, scat pack at the minimum is a must. You will be kicking yourself for not paying an extra 5k for it.

The vast majority of us started with an RT and got the SRT fever. We all hoped we bypassed the RT to save some money. Some are scared at the fuel price difference but it really is not that different. Maybe $10 a tank on a bad day.... (including gas grade difference and minimal higher fuel consumption). I should say SRT or Scatpack fever now.

#13 ·
I would say SRT, I loved my R/T, but the SRT is a lot better IMO.

#14 ·
I drove both - 2014 SRT & RT Max. Yeah, the SRT brought back all those drag racing down a local boulevard memories. However, the price difference, the fuel and that freaking gas guzzler tax made my choice of the RT Max pretty easy.

I drive crowded highways every day. I couldn't justify a big engine and all the trimmings for sitting in traffic moving 3 feet at a time. .

#20 ·
The performance difference is noticeable but you can build SRT power into your R/T with far less money then you would have to spend on a SRT. I wanted AWD which is unavailable for the SRT so I bought the R/T plus with that sports package and built that SRT power into it. I'm happy with my choice but I wish I could get the performance pages but those can be modified into your computer so I honestly have no regrets about choosing an R/T over a SRT.

#21 ·
you can build SRT power into your R/T with far less money then you would have to spend on a SRT
That is harder to do now with the Scat Pack.

You will be very hard pressed to get the performance goodies in the Scat Pack aftermarket for that price - and you lose your warranty

If you want more power, the scat pack seems to make the most sense

#22 ·
As BeEasy said, you can pretty easily build SRT level power into your R/T. Supercharge or Scat Pack it for like 5-7K and you can make SRT power easily and reliably. Which I feel seems to be what would make you happy with the car.

If you want to upgrade the R/T to handle like/better than the SRT, well that's another story.

#25 ·
You can build a stronger suspension than the SRT for about $4000 with a coilover kit, sway bars, control arms, front and rear strut brace, and tension bars and don't forget a big brake kit or refurbished stock SRT brembo kit (I found several less than $1000).

#24 · (Edited)
You don't even have to add a supercharger to reach SRT numbers. It can be done with quality aftermarket parts by reputable companies that have been shown to offer better performance than the stock R/T and SRT parts.

All you need is: Ported Heads 6.1 ported intake manifold, Headers, Exhaust with high flow cats, and a cam.

With those mods right there you'll be faster than any stock SRT.

#27 ·
As of now i drive a 300 touring. So a big car built for comfort not for speed. Just want something with a little more power but not overkill as its very unlikely ill ever feel the need to race the rice burners in my town
I wouldn't say I'm an extreme driver just occasionally enjoy going fast. And thes srt is in budget but its really stretching it. Are there mods I could get to upgrade to close to srt performance without blowing what I originally saved?
It sounds to me like the Charger R/T would be a good fit with what you apparently want. It would give you more power (V-8 hemi vs. your 300's V-6) and perhaps better handling. Or for a little more sportiness without breaking the bank, take a look at the Road & Track version of the R/T.

In addition, its a pretty good time to shop as many dealers are offering significant discounts on their remaining 2014 stock. A quick check locally shows an R/T Max with a MSRP of $39,040 offered for $32,490.

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=2C3CDXCT1EH277487

There's no doubt the SRT8 is a great machine; I had a Challenger 6.1 and currently have a JGC 6.4. But I also have a 2013 Daytona R&T which is really great fun to drive. There's no sense in paying for SRT-level performance if you're not going to be using it.

#34 ·
You spent 12k to get equivalent power as a 6.4, and missed out on all the other advantages like better brakes, wheels, suspension, rear axle?
Not to mention better seats & steering wheel, SRT performance pages & HK sound system, and the unique SRT fascia, hood, & side sills.

#35 ·
That's what I'm saying. If you start upgrading all the creature comforts (some you cant) you'll spend way more than just buying the better car from the start.

Some people just enjoy wrenching on their car themselves. I can't knock that, I think that's awesome.

#37 ·
They're the same thing. They only real difference are the decals and the daytona's are numbered. So the only added benefit (which I have yet to see) is theoretically the daytona should hold it's value better since its a "numbered" car. But a member posted KBB values and the daytona was actually worth less than the Road and Track.

It all depends on what you want. If you want the Daytona badging on the outside and the Daytona embroidery on the seats...that's the only real difference. It will come down to what color your want. If I'm correct you will have a much broader choice in regard to color with the road and track. The Daytona only comes in a handful of colors. I've only seen white, black, and a blue.

#39 · (Edited)
They're the same thing
Actually, that's not quite correct for the 2013 model. They are two different groups/packages which could be combined. The Daytona Group includes (in addition to the badging) performance seats (similar to SRT), rear spoiler, bright pedals, and the Daytona wheels. The Customer Preferred Package 29R includes the R&T package among other equipment.

My car is a R/T Daytona with the R&T package.

#42 · (Edited)
The Daytona seats are the exact same as the R&T seats (minus the color matched stitching and Daytona embroidery). Unless the Daytona is all leather and loses the alcantara inserts which would make them worse than the R&T. The base RT seats aren't bolstered like the R&T and SRT seats. The majority of R&Ts come with a rear spoiler. The Daytona wheels are slightly different, I did forget those, my bad there. The bright pedals...I have those as well on my R&T, a cheap Mopar upgrade anyone can do.

Nothing that mechanical is different, just appearance. But if you want the appearance type stuff then the Daytona is the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.