Charger Forums banner

Trouble removing shift knob?

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  SoftTailGirl 
#1 ·
I have done tons of searching on this board and others. Everything I read has told me that the removal of the factory shift knob is to just screw it off, left to loosen. I have tried and tried, but cannot get this knob to come off. I have even gotten desperate and wrapped the handle to protect it and used some big channel lock pliers to try and get this thing off. It won't budge. It's getting to the point that I am just going to give up as to not cause any damage.

Does the 07 R/T remove some different way? What am I doing wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The 06's you can just twist it off, they changed that in 07. I still think you can removed the knob, its just going to take a lot of effort.

#3 ·
IIRC, there was a "mid-year change" on the '07s. Some still just twist off with some effort, the others have a set screw on the front at the bottom of the knob and IIRC, the ones with a set screw are NOT tapped (i.e. they don't screw off once set screw is removed and there are no threads on the shift stock). Being I have an 06, I can't verify this, but I recall reading it on one of the forums.

#4 · (Edited)
Update:

Ok, thank god I didn't let my anger and frustration get the best of me by really trying to force this thing.

Turns out on my shift knob, the little plastic chrome ring at the bottom unclips and slides down. Once that is off, the knob just pulls right off the top of the shaft. The shaft is keyed so that the knob only fits on one way. It is not threaded, and will not turn!! I was applying all this pressure to an un-threaded knob that will not turn!!! That could have been a bad thing. :eek:

I have an 07 R/T with Road & Track. Built in april/may of this year, so seeing as how a lot of you have a threaded handle, I have no idea when they may have changed the way this knob fits.

Hopefully this keeps someone else from almost damaging their Charger!!

#6 ·
I think I have this one figured out.
Without the aid of pictures I will try to describe.

My 07 RT shift knob has a 1/2" tall chrome collar at the bottom.
This collar is held on by a clip of sorts. I used a smaller flathead screwdriver tip to wedge in between the collar and the knob itself. I pushed down and the clip popped off. You can then see that the knob is held in place by another clip.

You should be able to release the clip and pull straight up on the knob.

You will also see that the newer shift post is shapped to hold this newer knob. The top is not entirely rounded.

Hope this helps!!!

#7 ·
I understand why they wound want to make the knob more secure but come on! Has anyone found any nice aftermarket knobs that will fit the late 07 stalk?

#8 ·
billet tech says they have a solution. im sending my shifter in to get re fitted this week

#9 ·
I received a few PM's and since there is still a small bit of confusion with the removal of the newer style knobs, I took a picture of my original to show how it fits on. The plastic chrome ring at the bottom unclips, and the knob pulls up right off the keyed shaft.

The top of the shaft is odd shaped because it is keyed, but the new knob I put on had a nylon adapter and set screws. If tightened enough, it holds very well. I've had no problems.

#11 ·
billet tech is one awesome place...they are sending me one of their shift knobs to see if it fits my late model 07 charger... and at the cost of nothing. thanx again heidi. i should get it in a week or so and then i will let everyone know what the out come is.:smoke:

#16 ·
OMFG, please please. Just FYI, on the 14 Charger, AFTER you pry down the chromed plastic collar (I used a dull butter knife), if you look at the base of the shift knob, you will see a yellow tab. This is a flat pin that is folded to fit snug in the hole that goes THROUGH the shifter post. NO amount of pulling is going to remove the knob, you will bust a gut first, I know I almost did. Pull out the pin with a pair of needlenose, and then the knob with pop right off with hardly any effort.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE MENTIONED THIS BEFORE I ALMOST HURT MYSELF!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.