Charger Forums banner

Charger down! Help!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Part Deux 
#1 ·
Well I went ahead and replaced my spark plugs a few months ago. All was well up until about a month ago. I started getting a random misfire but couldn't locate it. Figured it was a bad coil pack or something because cheap-o me decided to try and save $100 and run the old coils at close to 100k. Finally the misfire stayed and I traced it to cylinder 6. "Okay...no biggie," I thought. "Just open it up, change the rocker arms [I had the "tick" and it was pretty persistent at this point], install new ignition coils, and change the oil while I'm at it. Simple." Famous last words...

I did the work last Friday and started the car up and it ran like a champ. It sounded brand new, responded quickly, and revved nicely. I went upstairs to grab my wallet and jacket so I can take it for a test drive around town and maybe hit the highway and open it up. Should be simple, right? Nope. I got back to the garage 5 minutes later and the car seemed to have stalled out. Hmm...weird. I turned the ignition off and started the motor again...it ran fine. I pulled out of my garage and onto the street and decided to gun it a couple hundred feet down. Holy s**t... it felt brand new! (NOT!) At around 3000-3500 rpm the car dinged, the MIL started flashing, and the car seemed to go into limp mode. So I drove it around the block and back into the garage (after stalling at a couple stoplights of course). Keydance told me P0339 and P0300: crankshaft position sensor and random multiple misfire. Well then... That's not good. I replaced the crankshaft sensor in the hopes that it was just faulty. No luck. I called a mechanic friend and he suggested replacing the cam sensor too because "those two sensors sometimes throw the same code." Fair enough...did it. No good. Reset the computer...no good.

So on the operating table now is my 2010 Charger SXT 3.5L V6 with almost 91,000 miles. It's over at the Stealership at the moment, where I am already in for 3 hours of labor ($354) just for diagnostics. They flashed the PCM and had no luck either.

Also, weirdly enough, when I removed the PCV hose to do the work a bit of oil dripped out. The intake manifold also had traces of oil on it and my throttle body had cooked oil all over the back of it. Oh yeah, and when I drained the oil from the engine if I got 3 quarts it was a lot. The F**ker always ran smooth though...I had no idea! I always make it a point to use precisely 6 quarts of Castrol Syntec 10w30 and a Fram Ultra synthetic oil filter every 5,000 miles religiously. I never saw so much consumption by this engine before. Judging by the amount of oil that i drained (or lack thereof) I'm seriously concerned about crankshaft damage. But on the other hand, would it run so smoothly if the crankshaft was damaged?

Any ideas? I'm stumped :frown2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a similar issue on my 06 SRT...had new, incorrect plugs. Caused the coils to back feed to the PCM and stalling. Not exactly your symptoms, but worth checking to make sure the plugs are the correct ones. In my case, when the engine stalled, it was due to the PCM "rebooting", so no codes were stored.
This might help, might not; thought I'd offer it up as food for thought...

Good luck!

#3 ·
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224185

6) Misfire Codes - As I said before, we have seen a lot of misfire codes recently. My experience tells me that it is most likely a lean misfire that will trigger the codes. P0300 random misfire or different codes for individual cylinders. This too is dependent on the condition of the fuel injectors to deliver proper vaporized fuel. This also causes deposits in the cylinders that act like other spark plugs contributing to this issue!

8) More reactive oils- Using an engine oil that has a lot of reactive compounds that vapor or outgas into the PCV system.... even when having a catch can......will also cause fuel injector problems. The oil blowby and residues go right back into the intake and end up mixing with the port injected fuel and air mixture. The octane value of these compounds from the reactive oils are very low and really hamper performance and mileage. Also these oils....once separated......then leave heavier less reactive compounds in the crank case and turn them into a sooty heavy oil viscosity. More wear, and lower mileage is the result.

Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#4 ·
Something else went wrong

Commercial grade oil won't vaporize that quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.