Charger Forums banner

Best way to get rid of stop-leak?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  krautmaster 
#1 ·
It was added to the coolant prior to me buying the car and now that I've isolated the leak (bypassed the heater core), I would greatly appreciate some advice on how best to clean out this awful residue left behind from the stop-leak. It's formed into a brown/burnt orange paste-like residual and I'm sure it's collected all throughout the system - really upset about this. Thanks in advance!

#4 · (Edited)
On old cars with questionable maintenance practices and GREEN anti freeze, a couple big squirts of Dawn Dish Washing Liquid in the radiator really cleans up the crud/rust.

Leave it in there for a month or two then drain /refill with plain water, drain, etc. until all the bubbles are gone. Then refill with antifreeze and distilled water or premixed antifreeze. It will not bubble over since it is under pressure. Lots of us old car guys usually leave a squirt or to in all the time to keep things clean.

I do not know if this will work on new cars with their HOAT/OAT coolant, but it should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.