Charger Forums banner

Scat Pack over an SRT

57K views 279 replies 36 participants last post by  Keith E. 
#1 ·
This may sound like a silly question to some, but looking around the forums and checking the Dodge website I can't help but wonder why some prefer the SRT over the Scat Pack R/Ts...

It seems that for a few bucks less you get the same power, some general options and features, but lack an SRT badge. Am I missing something here?

I'd say the Scat Pack R/Ts are a great sleeper car, because unless a trained eye knows, most will think it's just a regular run of the mill R/T....until she's opened up and it's hauling like an SRT.

Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
This may sound like a silly question to some, but looking around the forums and checking the Dodge website I can't help but wonder why some prefer the SRT over the Scat Pack R/Ts...

Am I missing something here?
Well, yes! You don't get the 3-mode adaptive suspension. The SP has the conventional static suspension as did the 2012-14 Super Bee. You don't get the 15.4" rotor, 6-piston Brembos in front; the SP has 14.2", 4-piston. You don't get OEM 20x9.5" forged wheels and 275/40 Pirelli Zero tires; the SP has cast 20x9" with 245/45s Goodyears. If you're interested in handling these are important omissions.

#3 ·
Depends where they are located as well. In the USA, it is about 7k difference between the models. In Canada, if you option out a scat pack, you end up being about 2k difference between the models so it then becomes a no brainer.

I think the Scat vs SRT ratio will be quite different from a country to another.

Reactions: GTO_04
#4 ·
The SRT has better brakes/suspension and wider wheels/tires.

It will be a personal choice if that matters enough to justify the extra cost.

#5 ·
My two cents.... the scat pack doesn't look like a run of the mill rt to me. It comes with the same front end as the srt, and minus the two extra vents in the hood, the hellcat.

To me it looks much more like an SRT than it does an RT.

#9 ·
I drove a Scat Pack and SRT just to see how the new 8 speed is with acceleration to 60 mph. I wanted to compare butt feel to what I have with the Daytona and the NAG1. From the outside and inside with the exception of the wheel packages, badging and steering wheel I could not tell the difference. But driving the SRT is night and day from the Scat Pack. The adjustable driving modes on the Uconnect and the feel when driving is just unbelievable. It made me look at dampers when I got back home to see what I could do for the Daytona.

The larger brakes and that adjustable suspension IMO are worth every penny. Just look at how many folks upgrade the brakes after a few years when they are modding. Try pricing Brembo's on all four wheels. LOL With the SRT you basically have a HELLCAT and the black key fob. For around $15K more you get different badging, supercharger and a red key fob. :beerchug:

#11 ·
Another consideration is tires. One video review I saw of the SP was of the opinion that the SP needed more tire. The SRT has larger tires and IIRC, rolled fenders to accommodate them. Also, the SRT is 1" lower ride height.

I was initially going to order a SP, but got tired of waiting and ordered an SRT. I'm glad I did, since had I gone with the SP, I would have wanted to upgrade the brakes and wheels, and that would have put me within spitting distance of an SRT.

This SRT is most likely the first car I have ever owned that I will not mod. It's perfect the way it is.

#12 ·
Hmm hadn't considered all of that. I'm still undecided. Maybe I'll be saving a little longer for the srt though....

#13 · (Edited)
Think of the SP as a 6.4 RT.

You're missing things like tranny cooler, oil cooler, adustable suspension, ride height, wheels, and bigger brakes.

Once you factor those in the SP to SRT isn't so expensive.

I will also tell you the stock sp ride is fine for regular driving but when pushed or tracked isn't a confidence inspiring. Gets squirrelly and doesn't setup nicely when pushed really hard.

If you track your car you want the coolers and brakes.

I think the SP is a lot of car for the money but it's not a cheaper SRT.

#14 ·
Looking at the spec sheets, the Scat Pack, SRT 392, & Hellcat all have the same lowered ride height at 4.57" ground clearance vs. 5.4" for the R/T with R&T. Couldn't find the oil/tranny cooler info, but I thought I saw oil cooler lines on my new Scat Pack. I just crossed 500 break-in miles and agree with Rob: The SP is great as my daily driver, as intended, but if I were interested in tracking my car I'd want the SRT 392.

Reactions: baller1015
#25 ·
Other SRT 392 notable details -

Flat bottom Steering Wheel - SRT 392 and HELLCAT have this and SP does not.

Per conversation with SRT CS rep. (straight from engineers mouth), SRT exhaust is tuned differently and slightly louder at WOT than the SP. I wanted to know specifically what was the difference in the exhaust systems between the two and that was their answer.

#26 ·
Flat bottom Steering Wheel - SRT 392 and HELLCAT have this and SP does not.

Per conversation with SRT CS rep. (straight from engineers mouth), SRT exhaust is tuned differently and slightly louder at WOT than the SP. I wanted to know specifically what was the difference in the exhaust systems between the two and that was their answer.
It's hard to imagine an exhaust that's louder than what's on my Scat Pack, but you can definitely hear the subtle difference between the SRT 392 and Scat Pack at WOT on the two Winding Road POV videos of the two different models. Best to listen with headphones.

SRT video at

Scat Pack video at:

#27 ·
Well you guys may well cost me some money in about six to nine months when my finances settle down for buying a new car, between the R/T Scat Pack or an SRT. I did not know the bigger Brembo's were so damn expensive! Add in for the wider wheels and better tires, and there is some more $. Then I imagine the magical shock system is pretty pricey too!

The videos were informative with respect to the better ride of the SRT; you can definitely see the R/T SP is more jittery, even though the roads are not identical as would have been better for comparison purposes. Not sure the R/T SP isn't louder, although either sound ok by me.

I am going to have to go back and price the SRT again, although that leads to some other pricey options like a better sound system and fancier seats? Thanks a lot!:grin2:

#31 ·
I can type it out the scat pack I got with the seat upgrade to the srt seats and loaded with the technology, driver group and beats would be MSRP $47,265, $46,265 with the $1,000 rebate and the SRT with the base seats and the tech groups and upgraded speakers is $53,165 no rebate offered. A difference of $6900 so I still don't see where if you load up a scat pack it is the same price as the SRT or $2200 difference. If it was i would has got the SRT that would be a no brainer for the upgrade to an SRT brakes and the other upgraded suspension upgrades.

#36 ·
The 2k difference is for Canada.

It depends if you are leaning towards the SRT only options like Laguna (which you are not) and the HK system. You have to be careful about the HK as a lot of people are disappointed with it, they say the base system sounds better on sirius or fm radio but some claim a fix just got released and fixes it all.

I'm getting it anyways, but it could be a way of saving $1500...

Does the 6 pistons, adaptive suspension, valet mode, eco mode, steering wheel, rims, tires worth 7k? Your call

#35 ·
For those with a good driving record, the insurance companies only want to know how much the car cost new, safety features, how many miles/year ...............They generally do not differentiate between a 5.7L and a 6.4L engine. The Hellcat may be different due to the crashes some have had. But insurance should not be any more for a scat pack RT vs a SRT based on engine size or performance. If there is a small difference in premiums it is due to the cost of the vehicle and how much it would cost to replace.

#37 · (Edited)
Well for me, I do not get an increase in insurance swapping in a R/T scat from my current car at $90 a month with full coverage, but putting in an SRT vin or Hellcat vin, it jumps $800, but one scat R/T did jump $600 in total 6 month premium, so I guess it depends on how glitchy the insurance systems are with vins and how they treat and see them.

my insurance treats the challenger scat version vin numbers same as the SRT challenger, but the charger scat R/T is looked upon the same as a regular R/T

#46 ·
Bottom line is this. If you are happy with what you bought then that is all that matters. For me the SRT 392 was the right choice, is it "worth" the extra money over the SP, for me yes, for many others probably no. Do I regret not getting a SP or Hellcat instead? NO. 200 HP is huge, but for me not worth $20K + for a daily driven grocery getter that might see an occasional track day. Besides the tires have little hope of survival with the SP or 392, much less the Hellcat!

Honestly one of the biggest deciding factors for me over the SP was the laguna leather, it makes it luxury car nice inside, completely changes the interior in my opinion. For others that may not even be a consideration.

Hell, I am kind of hoping NOBODY wants the SRT 392, if everyone buys SP or Hellcats I may continue to have the only 2015 SRT 392 in the area. I kinda like that!

Hear the opinions, since that is what was asked for in the original post, and make a choice that is right for you. Ignore the people that want to trash other peoples choices or opinions. I own an SRT 392, and I wouldn't change a thing, I love this car. I am guessing that 99% of the Hellcat and Scat Pack owners will say the same thing. Dodge (and SRT) have hit a homerun with these cars (R/T and SXT cars included)!

Reactions: GTO_04
#47 ·
Doesn't the R/T Scat Pack make you a "392 owner"?

Personally, I think putting the 6.4L into a R/T is just plain wrong. Or rather, calling it an "R/T" is wrong when it looks more like an SRT8 (and has an SRT8 engine) than a 5.7 R/T.

Should have just called it SRT junior or something.

#49 ·
Calm down. Hellcat is more car, period.

Notice I didn't say SP was slower then SRT 392. You are sounding like a teenager here.

The $10k difference got me, Nappa leather seats, Heated wheel, heated rear seats, cooled front seats, adjustable suspension and that seamed worth it. The suspension alone would cost me $7-10k retail with labor and setup.

I believe I stated the SP vs 392 SRT likely didn't have much performance differences; but track tossability was improved. Obviously 6.4 vs 6.2 SC will be different. The hellcat comes fully loaded for 63k which makes it a bargain when factoring in HP figures but not maybe features.

If you like your car, great. We are all happy for you. Please stop fighting some battle on here over models. We are all on the same team here... We like dodge products.

#50 ·
I have read all the reply's on this thread and to be honest I haven't had the chance to test drive neither of these cars due to the fact that I am in the Navy and always on the water and I can't seem to find a dealership that can keep any of these cars on their lots for me to test drive but the simple fact is that all of these cars are amazing. To be honest from what I have researched on these cars the SP and 392 are the same car minus the interior options of the 392 and suspension options. For these two cars it all depends on price range of the customer and/or personal preference. Who honestly takes their car to the track often enough to consider the 392? If you have the money for a 392 with every option then good for you but if not then the SP is perfect for you, 392 power at a bargain price. Since I am in the military and do a lot of traveling and driving on a daily basis then the SP would be perfect but I would definitely get the 392 for the simple reason of extra options. Like one of the guys said we are all on the same team with loving the Dodge cars so why argue over something when the facts are just a few clicks away so SP or 392, who cares!? They are essentially the same. This is just my personal opinion, not trying to stir any feathers just giving my $.02.

#52 ·
I still like Dr. Svelte's emblem suggestion rather than R/T. lol.
It was a lame attempt to be facetious. I don't think many people would really want to drive a junior SRT; at least I wouldn't! It connotes an image of second class or something less than the best (no offense to any named "juniors"!)

I really think R/T Scat Pack and SRT 392 are fine names and I wouldn't change them. Not that anyone would ask me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.