Charger Forums banner

New Plugs for my SRT8

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  KStryker 
#1 ·
Good morning all,

So I just took my 2006 SRT8 in for it's first set of new plugs since it was born LOL :) I only have 56K miles which is great for a 2006 but figured at almost 10 years old, it might be time even though they are 100K plugs. They looked pretty good as I got to watch the surgery as I have the best place I take my car to in AZ and they let me oversee everything done to my car LOL :) Anyways, not sure if it's my imagination knowing I have new plugs but the engine seems much stronger when I hit the gas now than it did before, I mean noticeably stronger. In 10 years, could plugs be better than what was put in by the factory although they used OEM at the dealership to replace. Just wondering what everyone else who have swapped out there original plugs have noticed. Could one expect better gas mileage with new plugs? By the way, I learned that there are 16 spark plugs in the SRT8 and not 8 as I would have thought. Please let me know your thoughts.

IMCHRGD in AZ
2006 Black SRT8 w Billy Boat Exhaust - 56K miles

#2 ·
Interesting that the SRT8 has a 100k mile plug!

I know on the R/T's, they have to be done every 30k miles!

You might want to confirm in your owner's manual just to be sure!

I did know that the HEMI V8 uses 16 plugs instead of 8 plugs!

#3 ·
Thanks RScotty for the tip. Just checked the manual and for both schedule A and B, it says 96K and 99K respectively. My mechanic says they are platinum plugs which I know for previous cars can go 100K miles. I feel better after almost 10 years and 56K miles having new one's and can certainly tell in how strong the engine feels, at least I think it's stronger LOL :) Thanks again for the suggestion.

#4 ·
I bought my 06 SRT used with 79k on it, and had the plugs changed shortly after, at about 80k. I'm pretty sure they were the factory plugs from the looks of them. I could tell a big difference in the smoothness and the power afterwards.
Another thought to consider, I'm sure the factory does not use the very best plug, probably not even up to aftermarket quality, so the plugs you installed were probably better quality than the factory plugs were to begin with when they were new. Kinda like original equipment tires; yep they're round, and mostly rubber...they'll get you off the lot and down the road for a while, but they'll wear out pretty quick.

#5 ·
Actually, the factory SRT plugs are very good. I replaced mine at around 80k miles and they were in great shape. I used OEM for the replacement.

The car will always run better with new plugs than 80k mile plugs and you may get any mpg that you lost over time...but I never lost any so there weren't any to get back.

#7 ·
The OEM plugs for the 6.1L engine are NGK PLZTR5A-13. They are gapped to 1.3mm or 0.050". Installation torque is 11-15 ft. lbs. The cost is roughly $150-$180 for a set of 16.

Reactions: KStryker
#10 ·
They also come pre-gapped with a plastic sleeve on them to protect the gap. You only need to check it before install. When I did mine I didn't have to adjust any of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.