Charger Forums banner

wondering what kind of wax everyone uses

11K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
I have a steel blue charger police. I was wondering what kind of wax everyone uses

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I have been using Mothers Carnauba paste wax for years. It works well on my GTO and R/T

Big John

Attachments

#8 ·
i dont use wax, as it is short lived and doesn't have multiple coat value. I use Finish First Polish. The shine and slippery nature is beyond what any wax can do. And the more you put on, the better it is as it builds up over curing and time and leaves absolutely no residue. i use it on the glass and its almost as good as Rain-X. Try it and you will see a noticeable difference from any wax. When i do use wax, which is not often its the Mothers Carnuba. Cleaner wax takes off the previous coat of wax. Look for it on Ebay or your local store. Autozone does not carry it. About $23 a pint. Goes on easy, and the longer it sets on the car before removal, the better it is.

#9 ·
I'm intrigued by this. Is this something that can be put on top of a regular finish or does the car have to be clay-barred first? I have a 2014 and have only used a spray-on "quickie" wax, once (got the car in January). TIA

#10 ·
I am not familiar with that product but I would not clay bar unless you feel what I call a prickly feeling in the paint when you run your finger tips across it... If it feels smooth you are good to go IMO.. Check the mfg date on the door Jam, don't go by when you purchased it.... if prickly pick up a clay bar kit from Wal mart.. no need to buy custom products.... if you have never done it before please use a lot of caution...

I use MaGuires Polish first then use a good liquid wax or one of the newer polymer top coats... They will basically seal the polish... After that I use a quality quick detailer weekly {not a spray wax} to keep it up and looking like a mirror...

By the way.. if you need something from Amazon look at the auto care products they have while shopping .. I have tacked them on to other orders I have done.. paid no shipping and got them cheaper than Wal Mart....and your choices are endless...

#12 · (Edited)
I am not familiar with that product but I would not clay bar unless you feel what I call a prickly feeling in the paint when you run your finger tips across it... If it feels smooth you are good to go IMO..
Paint that needs claying can feel smooth to the touch when you only use your finger tips to test it. In order to see if a car's paint needs to be clayed, you need to perform "the baggy test."

if you have never done it before please use a lot of caution...
Clay is not REMOTELY dangerous unless you buy the wrong grit or drop it on the ground and continue using it.

I use MaGuires Polish first then use a good liquid wax or one of the newer polymer top coats... They will basically seal the polish...
You don't seal a polish. A polish is used to remove paint damage. After it is worked into the paint, it is wiped away. There is nothing to seal.

After that I use a quality quick detailer weekly {not a spray wax} to keep it up and looking like a mirror...
And that is the perfect recipe for creating a million swirls in your paint.

#14 ·
Junkman.. Do me a big favor and DO NOT REPLY to any of my post.... I am so sick and tired of these know it all's on every forum.. it makes no one desire to participate....

Again.. do not respond to any more of my post...... starting with this one.... I don't care what your opinion is of my opinion or anyone else's for that matter. It's getting tiresome dealing with you as the thought police here. I have been caring for cars for 40 years. I know what has worked for me for years.. I know how to maintain a finish.. You talk so much error here I just don't have time to address it all, and also your worthless generalizations about car care and car products .... but it's not my job to correct you....

Next stop is the site moderator.... back off..

Thanks..

#16 ·
Dude, here's what I think about your threat.

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

If you don't want to see what I have to say, put me on your ignore list. I'll be damn if I am going to sit by and watch you or anyone else give WORTHLESS AND INCORRECT detailing advice about something they obviously have no experience or a clue about. So either get your advice straight or be prepared to get corrected. This is a forum and no one person has the right to tell another person that they can't post an opinion. Post all the advice you want and if your advice is WRONG, I am going to call you out on it. I post in ONE SECTION on this forum, the detailing section because that's what I know. I can back up ANYTHING I post and people who have been here for awhile can attest to that.

Again if you don't want to see what I have to say about something you post, put me on your ignore list.

#15 ·
Daredevil....

Your OP asked what everyone uses.. on a forum like this you are going to get many responses and almost all will be different..... It's hard when you are made to feel if you are not carrying around a detailing caddy full of products few have heard of that you are not properly caring for your car... { from my car show days} .. And then there is the money.... Just because someone spends $25.00 for four ounces of some product does not make that product any better in fact than a $7.00 16 oz bottle at Wal Mart from a competitor.. Unless you convince yourself that after that outlay of cash it simply must be better.. I always laugh when independent testing organizations test the exotics up against their cheaper competitors necessarily and we see that in real time the exotics simply do not out perform their cheaper competitors or they may have one redeeming quality that is simply not worth the price... Most new cars come with quality clear coat finishes... what we don't want to be doing is constantly removing micro layers of the clear coat with obsessive detailing...

In the end use what you are comfortable using and at a price you are comfortable with. Most clear coat finishes these days look great when we purchase them right.. What we want to do here is protect that original finish, unless we are doing car show circuits, I used to do that with a car club I was in.... car show after car show to prep for... and every product under the sun was the best according to each participant.. PLEASE... I could have gone broke detailing my dumb show car...

Honestly unless you are a fiend, a minimalist approach will do quite nicely... simplest advice anyone can give you is keep your finish clean, listen and or read what others have to say about their favorite product and perhaps do some internet research on them looking for consumer testing if possible.... There's nothing worse than having a collection in the garage of the 15 different products purchased that you absolutely must be using and all the cash outlay, to just end up being more comfortable using Maguires, Mother's or Turtle wax a few times a year.....

JUNKMAN Remember what I said.. thanks....

#17 ·
You have been reported as promised... your lack of respect towards others and forum rules in general on this forum is proved by the content of what you write.. We will have to see if the moderators agree or not... If they allow your type of treatment of others then I will gladly leave... again you need not reply to this but alas I know you will... someone needs to call you out... too bad it had to be a newbee..

#19 ·
Lordy you are predictable.. but I am done on this particular thread.. The participation at this forum is awful, well compared to others I am on... But they are more closely moderated .. I just feel bad for anyone who is faithful to this forum who feels the need to express their own opinion on something that may differ from yours.. The nice thing about being an owner and moderator of a forum as I am, clearly not this one... is that I can darn well make sure anyone who is accepted at my forum has a voice, is respected, and jerks can be eliminated. No one will boast at my forum about their 7 years of being rude and disrespectful.. aint' going to happen.. Sorry I won't be able to read any more of your rants on this thread.. Very sorry to the OP... it's simply impossible to be fair and balanced here...

#21 ·
I have used many waxes and polishes over the years. My absolute favorite is Liquid Glass. It is a little pricey but well worth it in IMO.

Read the reviews on Amazon and see what everyone else says. There are plenty of Youtube videos about it too. I love this stuff. I won't use anything else on my cars or motorcycles now. Just my two cents, cheers: beerchug:

Just make sure you clay bar and buff out all scratches before you apply. This stuff is a hard coat and difficult to buff through once applied so any defects are sealed in. In other words, it will seal in anything under it so prep is everything!

It's easy to apply and buff off. It can be applied directly in the sun without worry of it being hard to wipe off. It also wipes off of your black molding and trim easily without leaving those nasty white plaste marks. 3 applications allowing each to bake in the sun for a few days between applications will astonish you. I'm not easily impressed but this product blew my socks off.

Follow the directions and apply in straight lines. If you follow the directions this stuff goes on and wipes off quite easy. Use a random orbital and you might find yourself creating some new curse words. Follow the directions! I wish I would have discovered this stuff 30 years ago!

Also (off topic), for your interior I love 303 Aerospace. It's another pricey product but worth every penny when compared to the other garbage out there. Its also great on your exterior rubber and molding. It keeps the black stuff black and prevents fading as it has UV protection. Read the reviews on that one too.

#23 ·
Liquid Glass from Amazon around $20 per 16oz can. Anywhere else around $32 for the same can locally.

303 Aerospace is around $19 for a 32oz spray bottle. I buy it by the gallon now and just refill the spray bottle. A gallon will run you about $43 but will last a very long time. My wife and I use this stuff a lot so the gallon was the best option for us. Her car (camaro) and mine both have leather and this stuff works great on leather too.

#36 ·
Zaino is what I originally started with. I just found it to be overpriced compared to Duragloss. I do still use their leather cleaner and conditioner though.

#38 ·
I threw a coat of Finish First Polish on last night. It was easy to use and I didn't see ANY residue on any non-painted surface of my car (I'm either THAT good, or this stuff doesn't leave residue on trim). I think it turned out great. Only time will tell how good it really is.

Attachments

#44 ·
OK, thanks for your reply Junkman. I know that "most" companies make claims that can be questionable. It's called marketing. I'm not sticking up for Finish First or anybody else. I bought a can, tried it, seems to work well (time will tell), and unless something negative happens, I'll use it until it's gone. Then I'll try something else. I'll keep you updated to how well it works and lasts, so you can get an honest, real-world opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.