Charger Forums banner

2nd Oil Report on Amsoil

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  370 HEMI 
#1 ·
This time the oil change interval is almost one full year. The oil seems to be just fine for a whole year. However I will try 9 months/5000miles next time.

So far I am quite satisfied with the signature series of amsoil 10w30. Performance and fuel efficiency are both pretty decent. I get these at wholesale price and I am more than happy with the end result.

My 1st oil report on Royal Purple, only~3500 miles:

My 2nd oil report on Amsoil, about 5812 miles:

See less See more
#2 ·
This doesn't seem all that great. Copper, moly and aluminum are high at ~7800 miles. I'd look for a better oil. This one shows above average wear and the recommendation to cut back to 5k miles speaks volumes.

If you are only changing your oil once per year, you aren't saving much $$ in exchange for higher engine wear. Almost any off the shelf oil will go 5k miles and show better results. The data suggests you are wearing your bearings substantially for the miles driven.

#3 · (Edited)
The high wear is probably due to lots of short city miles.

I just got another batch of amsoil in the engine. When it is near 9 months I will try either Pennzoil or Castrol.

If financial permits, I will give Brian's QB a try.

#4 ·
This is where you can see trends... that's what UOA is for.

Using oil reports to compare oils in different vehicles... that's not good science, way too many variables.

All cars being identical models does not mean they are all the same... lol.

10k miles a year... those are short trips.

Compare the same oil in mine at 30k/year with lots of highway... it would look completely different.

#5 ·
There are many excellent synthetic oils on the market to choose from.

I will assume that Mopar knows more about our engines than any one else. :banana:

Any thoughts as to why Mopar currently uses Pennzoil Ultra 0 - 40 at the factory as opposed to anything else on the market? :beerchug:

#7 ·
Not related to this thread, but exactly why is it that the 5.7 only calls for a 5W-20 weight oil, while the SRT engines get a 0W-40? What about these engines is so different that causes one engine to need a different oil from the other?

#9 ·
The SRT does have MDS, which is why I can't understand why they use a 40 weight oil in them since it would be a sin to use anything heavier than 20 weight in the 5.7 with MDS.

#19 ·
Graft is pretty much all gone at the OEM's. There will be other factors, but the primary factor is meeting the required specs for the best price. And the day you don't meet those specs, can cause you to get totally booted from the OEM. There is little room for negotiation or margin anymore. Some of the other things will include mfg locations, ability to deliver, capacity, past quality issues, willingness to work with OEM. When you buy millions of gallons of oil every year, you know everything about every ingredient and the cost of each element.

Corporate strategies can play a big part too. Mercedes was a world player. In their world, maybe Mobile could better support their far reaching plants. I'm not going to buy one oil for Germany, another oil in US, another oil in Mexico, another oil in china, etc. It's hard to say what will drive them without being on that particular decision team, but even $0.01 cost difference per quart can add up to a big number. Factor in the amount of testing that has to be done on each oil, the OEM will want to know what to expect for performance.

What is going to get interesting in the next couple of years is the OEM's are struggling to meet the upcoming EPA mileage requirements. Oil is thick and uses parasitic energy. thinner oil uses less parasitic energy. Too thin, and you end up with trashed engines and transmissions. Too thick and you decrease mpg results. They are attempting to walk a fine line.

#20 ·
They're already walking a fine line. Manufacturers are trying to squeeze every possible last tenth of an MPG out of vehicles with these new low viscosity fluids (which are trash BTW). They create these fluids that are made for longevity and fuel economy, but are not giving an adaquate level of protection to what they are being used to protect. This is true for transmissions, differentials, and soon engine oils as well. That wonderful new 8 speed transmission uses a low viscosity, fuel economy type of fluid, very similar to GM's Dex VI fluid. And guess what, it has a "lifetime fill". Just like I said, made for longevity and fuel economy, and overtime it's not going to provide an adequate level of protection once it begins breaking down. Reliablity is being sacraficed for the ridiculous CAFE standards which are becoming so insane. There's only so much tinkering that can be done with fluids before the "gas guzzler" engines will have to be taken out of the line up to bring up the overall fuel economy averages.

#21 ·
Three points to consider...

1. PD it a 30 year+ veteran in the big 3 and knows what he's is talking about.

2. Today's engines have an average factory service life of 250k+ miles so the comment about not having adequate protection is unfounded. You can't get that kind of service life from "inadequate protection" of the "trash" factory recommended fluids.

3. Saying it's "made for longevity and fuel economy, and overtime it's not going to provide an adequate level of protection once it begins breaking down" is an oxymoron.

Just sayin'

#22 ·
I was referring more towards differentials and transmissions. Engine oils, while they are getting thinner and thinner, with 0W-20 being the lightest viscosity currently available, are changed fairly often (at least they should be if you want the engine to last that 250k mile mark). That being said, the rest of the drivetrain, such as differentials, transmission, and transfer case are getting these "lifetime fill" fluids which are an ultra low viscosity. There is no way that the new 8 speed transmissions Chrysler is using throughout their fleet are going to last 250k miles working with the factory fill.

#23 ·
The coming new spec is going to be 0w16 oil for engines. Always in a march for fuel economy regardless of what it does for the engine!

We see a different way to go in actually giving a larger molecule that gives much more cushion on the engine than going the thin route as I have discussed on this forum for years.

It has been our experience that the lifetime fluids are not anywhere near that at all.

Here is my SRT8 with 8k miles on the differential fluid as an example:

Drain plug open and draining:

Shavings in the oil show up as metallic tint in the drain pan!

Don't drive a long way with your new car and believe the "filled for life" information! ;)

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160085

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#26 ·
Especially when you change the design parameters of the system you are working on. That is why we design the lubricants with the modifications included in the formula. Also we design materials for stock cars if we find that the OEM didn't do as good a job as they should do. Like putting a friction modified transmission fluid into a steering system like our LX and LC cars! ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#25 ·
buh bye mr spammer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.