Charger Forums banner

Paint Issue on SP

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  DodgeMan1 
#1 ·
I inspected my car and found a chip on the very edge of my bumper right where it connects to front fender. It barely has over 300 miles. It's B5 blue. What should I do? Should I have the whole bumper repainted through the dealership? Should I find another reputable shop to do the work? Also instead of completely repainting the bumper can it be wet sanded, spot touched up, and just clear coat resprayed? Any help appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Typically if you take it to the dealership, they will use the lacquer touch up paint to take care of it. They won't spray the whole bumper for that I guarantee you. You don't want them to anyway as the factory finish on the bumper with flexitive in it will ALWAYS be better than a repaint. Try always to keep factory finishes on the flexible bumpers!!

I would get a small bottle of the B5 from the parts counter and handle it yourself. ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#4 ·
Will that hold up long term or will it just flake off? Is there a certain way I should apply the touch up paint?
I would just go to their parts department and order the touch-up paint from Chrysler. IIRC, it was about $12-$15 when I ordered one for my Charger last year, and it comes with both a brush and a pen tip. For something that small, it would be far easier to tape it off and touch it up rather than try to re-spray the whole bumper (which runs the risk of not matching the nearby panels)...it preserves the factory finish.
Did the touch up paint hold up? This is a brand new car and this issue is irritating.

#3 ·
I would just go to their parts department and order the touch-up paint from Chrysler. IIRC, it was about $12-$15 when I ordered one for my Charger last year, and it comes with both a brush and a pen tip. For something that small, it would be far easier to tape it off and touch it up rather than try to re-spray the whole bumper (which runs the risk of not matching the nearby panels)...it preserves the factory finish.

Reactions: GTO_04
#6 ·
Ok I'll try that. I'm extremely meticulous with my cars especially my SP. Can you still apply wax to the spot after it's been touched up?

#12 ·
One more question: Is there a touch up paint clear coat? Also should that be applied after a couple coats of the base coat? Just trying to do things as good as possible.

#14 ·
While there are some Clear Lacquer touch up paints, we would recommend that you not use them as there may be interactions and reactions to what you get from the dealership. A couple....2 or 3 light coats of the dealership paint with the brush should bring the surface up to where you need it to be and then after 24 to 48 hours, you can wax it and frankly forget it. ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.