Charger Forums banner

2011-2014 Charger R/T

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Telco 
#1 ·
Anybody have one? Anybody have any reviews? Good price?

I'm looking at a 2013 RT blackout. It has cloth seats, sunroof, spoiler, beats audio, very clean. Has 36,000 miles. Looking for opinions.

#2 ·
I just bought a 2013 Daytona R/T R&T with 16,000 miles on the 19th, upgrading from a 2008 R/T. I've only driven it about 230 miles so far, but I've enjoyed every mile. If you can get it for a good price, then I would say go for it!

#3 ·
I have a 2013 R/T, bought it brand new a few years ago on a year-end clearance event, upgraded from a 2008 SXT. Still runs great! (Knock on wood) Did the plugs today too. I have all the options you listed on mine (except the seats, mine are leather) and I love it!

#4 ·
I have a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T that I leased back in July 2014.

I have enjoyed it very much and have not had any problems at all!

You will want to look for a Garmin Nuvi navigation unit, so you can update your maps for free!

#5 · (Edited)
Buy it!
Edited to add details....Bought my new to me 2014 R/T at the end of last April for $24,750. The car had 14,744 miles on it at the time, and is now approaching 16K. It is a base R/T but came with the Navigation and rear view camera package, and the wheels and tunes packages. The previous owner tinted the windows, and had the mid mufflers replaced with glass packs, and the resonators replaced with Magnaflow mufflers.
I have since replaced the wheels and tires with 22's, and just a couple of days ago, the chrome grill was replaced with a black one. I have done a few other minor tweaks to make the car "mine".
These are great cars. Here are a few comments:
The good:
-The Hemi is a fantastic engine. Plenty of power, and can get reasonable mileage.
-The cloth seats are more than comfortable for longer trips.
-The car is heavy and feels "substantial", but handles relatively well.
-It is pretty quiet on the road (exhaust not withstanding)
-Looks. I love the lines of the car (subjective).
-The Nag1 trans is good, and the gears seem to be placed well (the 8 speed would be better, of course).
The bad:
-Unless you are in Sport mode, the car can feel "lazy", and pops into ECO mode too quickly.
-The BU camera needs to have better resolution. It does the job, but with that large screen, it is a bit grainy. Night vision could also be better.
-The Beats audio system is decent, but (based on the name), I expected better sound than it is capable of.
-I wish the side view mirrors on the base car could be set up to rotate downward when in reverse.
-All R/Ts should come with the 3.06 axle as stock. The 2.64 gears (base R/T) leave too much on the table in terms of performance.
-The "drone" in ECO mode is annoying. I am researching exhaust options to reduce that.

#7 ·
I just purchased a 2013 R/T AWD with 33,000 miles on it. Has sunroof, Nav, heated and cooled front seats, heated back seats, heated and cooled cup holders. I paid 25.5 for it. Got about 6 grand over what I owed on my trade so financed just about 20k.

The car also already had a Flowmasters exhaust and AFE CAI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I have a 2012 RT with 80K miles! No major issues, runs solid. Only small issues - backup camera is out and those gremlins! Why? depending on the weather, squeeks and rattles from the front and rear dash once in a while. Very happy

#10 ·
Gentlemen:
Congrats on your recent Charger purchases! I will also be in the market for one in the next 4-12 months.

I joined this forum recently, and made an initial post to introduce myself, and request input from current Charger owners as to what options they feel are worth having, and others that are not. To date, the responses have been underwhelming at best.
I like the '11-'14 body style which is good because the 15 and up which I also like is probably not in my budget.

I am 75% convinced that I want the Hemi, even though the 3.6 is a pretty good engine in it's own right. 30mpg from a car the size and weight of the Charger is quite a feat!
I like the idea of AWD so that is on my list. Then, there is the upgraded Beats audio system, etc.
I would not have a car today without the usual A/C, PW, PDL, tilt, cruise, etc, which I believe are all standard. Power drivers seat is a must also. Power passenger seat would be nice too.

Comments and thoughts please about your cars?

Don

#11 ·
You definitely want to get Hemi. You're going to be pretty disappointed with the V6. The 5.7 is more than capable of getting mid 20s on the highway if you drive smart. I think the difference between 30 and 25 is more than justified by the extra power. I drive 99% city(13-14 MPG) and still chose the hemi. I've owned the base 2.7L V6 and two 5.7Ls now. Also the Hemi engine is a tried and true engine, if you notice most of the recalls/issues are for the V6.

As far as AWD, it depends where you live. I do have AWD but I live in Boston and have a job where I'm required to make it to work in any weather. Depending on your circumstances and location, you may be able to get by with RWD. If you live in an area where it doesn't snow then it's definitely not worth getting the AWD.

My car is pretty loaded, the only thing I don't have is the Beats Audio system but from what I've heard it's not really that great. I'm not an audiophile and mostly listen to podcasts while driving but if you're really into music you'd probably be better off getting an aftermarket audio system installed.

If you have any questions about specific features I'd be happy to answer them. One of my favorites is the memory driver seat and how it moves all the way back when you shut off the vehicle to make it easier to get in and out. Such a small feature, that I could definitely live without, but it gives it a nice luxury feel.

It's pretty surprising how luxurious these cars can get when loaded. I have heated and cooled cup holders for Christ's sake! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I bought new in 2013, Daytona is about to turn over to 30,000 miles and the only problem was a shift mechanism that was replaced by the dealer. I did have a crank sensor go out but that was my fault using the wrong oil.

#13 ·
I have a 2014 R/T Road and track edition and it has been great. The hemi is a blast to drive and is capable of getting decent fuel mileage if you drive it correctly. I average 19 city/highway while my wife will average 17. Took it on a 2400 mile round trip and averaged 27 mpg with it last spring. The heated seats and wheel are great in the winter and the ventilated seats are even better in the summer. The only issue I have had with it is the backup camera going out which was replaced under warranty. I bought a dedicated set of winter tires/rims for it and it has no issues going through the snow even when we had over 12". I would like to keep it for a long time but recently my wife has been hinting that she would like a SUV so it may be up for sale in the near future.

#14 ·
Toplscuda:
Well.......
I have been known to travel quite a bit to bring a new(er) car home.
3 years ago this coming November, my neighbor and I flew to Boston to pick up a pristine Cadillac DTS for him.
I have had a fair amount of time driving AWD vehicles, and have learned that having power to wheels at both ends all the time is very helpful.

My 04 Durango is AWD, and in the 6 years I have had it, 4LOCK has never been required. AWD has taken us wherever we needed to go in our Ohio winters.
A number of folks are concerned about a possible MPG reduction due to the added weight from the AWD parts.
Most of the time, it will be 2mpg or less, and if you can avoid one crash or get where you need to go without drama, the AWD has paid for itself.

It is true that you can't do big, smoky burnouts, but I would rather have my car hunker down and "get with it" as they say then to burn hundreds of dollars of tires up in smoke.
No offense to those who can and do those burnouts. Please, just do them safely, and in the proper place. We have all seen those videos of folks at car shows who try it, and end up into a guard rail along with other nearby show cars. Not cool!

#16 ·
Just to present another option:

IF you want even more power (at a discount) than the R/T and are willing to sacrifice some extras to get it, you could consider a 2012 or 2013 Super Bee. Some of the 2013s were equipped with the 8.4N screen, and none of the 2012s had that installed (it was not an option). You can get the OEM 8.4N added if the 2012 had dual climate, but it ain't cheap (I just did it and love it). The perks are the power, most of the SRT8 body kit (hood is not SRT8 though...it's the same as the lower trims but with decal inserts), and a unique look. Downside is the deleting of some extras, such as leather seating, sunroof, heated/cooling cupholders, etc. I don't miss that stuff though I usually want all of that when I buy a new car, but some people prefer more lux over power.

The Bees are a LOT of fun...raw HP...does 4.5 - 5.0 sec 0-60 times with relative ease, and gives you that smile that only extra HP can. And they didn't sell well (I don't think everyone was a fan of the look), but I get compliments on mine constantly. They may not appeal to you, but there's some nice bargains out there on them if you're interested. I bought mine new for $5k under sticker, after it sat on a dealer lot for several months.

#17 · (Edited)
2014 Bee with 8.4 screen, leather and sunroof. I drove this car, before purchasing my current 2013 SRT and it's a nice car. Just missing a few options.

Rock solid these cars are!, If they weren't I wouldn't have bought my 3'rd one. First was an 2012 R/T max AWD, second 2012 SRT, and my current 2013 SRT. Mileage between the R/T and SRT is about the same. I averaged 19-27 on the R/T and basically the same on the SRT. I consistently average 19-20 mixed driving and on my current car. On a trip 23-25 mpg.
http://www.deanpattersongm.com/Vehi...per_Bee_RWD_*Ltd_Avail*-Altoona-PA/2714292393

#19 · (Edited)
I call that a Super Duper Bee, but it's actually a Satin Vapor Edition Super Bee...they're a little different than the "standard" Bees. The version you posted was a little fancier: sunroof, leather/suede seats, 8.4 screen, vapor SRT rims, black side mirrors, black satin roof. Kind of a hybrid of a Bee and full-on SRT8. Not sure if those saw the same mark-downs that the standard Bees did.

I blacked out my roof with the Satin Black, and think it should've really been a standard...adds a lot to the Bees, and ties in the spoiler, Bee graphics, and hood graphics together nicely.

#18 ·
The V6 really isn't that bad, provided it comes with the 8 speed auto. They are every bit as fast as the Lincoln LS with the Jaguar 3.9L V8. I could have been happy with the V6 and the 31+MPG. However, I still went with a 2016 5.7L. So far I'm seeing around 21MPG with mixed driving, with the highway driving being 80+MPH, and it's a blast to drive. The sunroof is nice, could do without the satellite radio and the huge touchscreen display though. I prefer the old controls because after a short familiarization period you can make adjustments both without thinking about it and without taking your eyes off the road; the touchscreen requires you to look at it. Still, the HVAC also has a manual control set and some of the stereo can be controlled with the steering wheel controls.

Finally tried out the paddle shifter and decided I don't like them. They won't shift outside the transmission's normal computer controlled parameters, so beyond the ability to hold a gear a bit longer they're a very expensive, complicated waste to me. Night as well get the auto shifting parameters adjusted to suit you, then just put it in drive and go.

#20 ·
Finally tried out the paddle shifter and decided I don't like them. They won't shift outside the transmission's normal computer controlled parameters, so beyond the ability to hold a gear a bit longer they're a very expensive, complicated waste to me. Night as well get the auto shifting parameters adjusted to suit you, then just put it in drive and go.
Agree 100%. I've tried the paddles on my car a few times, and don't care for them. I just throw it in Sport mode, and let the trans do the work. Or, if I'm feeling REEEEEALLY frisky.........I'll use the "slap" shift function on the console shifter. But that's usually only when there is a full moon........Or an eclipse.........Or during summer solstice......Or the vernal/autumnal equinox........yeah.

#21 ·
I disagree, my '14 AWD will do big smoky burnouts rather easily with the push of a couple buttons on the steering wheel!! And boy will it fry the back tires like the RWDs can. Are tires expensive? Hell yes, but its a lot of fun to pull up beside some kid in a Lancer EVO that revs his engine and I smoke the back tires just before the light turns green, he usually wont even look at me at the next light!! Now with that being said, my gas mileage is much better in RWD than it is in AWD, so I leave it in RWD during the summer then change it back to AWD in the winter. I love driving the car, its very comfortable especially with all the options except paddle shift, and it gets good gas mileage when Im not driving it like I stole it. If I have the opportunity to buy another one, I would definitely buy the AWD just because of where I live, its just piece of mind knowing its there when I need it.

#22 ·
@All Black:
I assume you must have a tuner or program that allows you to enable/disable the AWD at your leisure. I would enjoy such an option!

The comments re the paddle shifters are good also. I figured they would be hard to add, but if they are more show than function I will move them from my "must have" list to the "ok if it's there list" with the sun/moon roof.

Re the Super Bees, there is no AWD option there, and they are likely to be out of my budget range.
Of course, there are those occasional great deals that are not 100% what one wants, but on the other hand such a good deal that you just can't pass it up.
An example of that for me would be a RWD R/T that was priced so good, that I could save a chunk and overlook the lack of AWD.

My ideal Charger would be a 13 or 14 , with 30k miles or less, have leather, Beats, AWD, and be closer to (or under) $20K than $25K.
My preferred color is also any other than black or white.

Don

#24 ·
The ability to put an AWD into RWD by pushing a couple of buttons on the steering wheel is because of a device that I ordered from Zautotech. It simply plugs into the OBD port under the dash and it opens ALOT of the software already installed on the Chargers, 300s, some trucks, Jeeps and Durangos. It is by far the best "bang for the buck" upgrade that I have done. It has so many features that you can enable on your car, line lock, force RWD or AWD or auto AWD, light shows (which are pretty impressive themselves), add sport mode, open all the SRT pages including the ones in the EVIC and on and on. I travelled 300 miles to buy my car, and it was well worth it. My 2014 R/T AWD Max was loaded with every factory option except paddle shift and sport mode. I added sport mode with the Zautotech Tazer and the paddle shifters are unnecessary in my opinion because I can manually shift using the shifter in manual mode or I can change gears using the cruise control + or - buttons on the steering wheel. I bought my car with 34000 miles on it for $23100.00 at a Dodge dealer in Troy Michigan on a Saturday afternoon and drove it home to Erie Pa. that same night, the closest I could come to finding an equally optioned car around here was at least $27k and I wasn't paying that price!! I have upgraded and personalized the car the way my wife likes it and I think it looks pretty damn good considering what I paid and what I transformed it into since I bought it in March. I put an SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, LMI Frankentake cold air intake, 20" MRR wheels and General GMax tires, pinstripes, head, tail and foglight covers, Tazer, ventshades on the windows, Diablosport Intune tuner and painted the calipers all for less than $2000.00 by doing the work myself and finding the best price I could on the parts I wanted. The car runs fantastic and sounds great, not to mention the fun I have driving it. We are going to drive it to Elsinore Ca in Oct, then back home after a 2 week stay, and im really looking forward to the trip. I will include pics I took the day we bought it and some now.

Attachments

#26 ·
Devils:
Thanks for the new place to look (Cargurus.com).
My usual haunts are Craigslist, and autotrader.com.
You know how exciting a vehicle search can get! I am still a ways from getting serious though as I have a vehicle to find a home for first, and some funds to get in order before I begin a serious effort.

I agree that winter tires on a RWD vehicle can make a world of difference. We went that route for several years after the wife's FWD mini van got stuck sideways in our driveway, and she had no more issues.
The main thing is to have them at all four corners.

I guess you are referring available colors and wheel options when you say that the AWD Chargers are limited?

Don

#27 ·
Yeah, pretty much color and wheel options. There's obviously a nice volume of used AWD rides out there.

If I was going to go the R/T route and couldn't swing a winter driver, I'd nab a Daytona Blue Daytona, and get myself a second set of Daytona rims and throw Blizzaks on them.

There's definitely a lot less of those though, and they're pricier to boot. But they ARE sharp:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=144810327

#28 ·
On the paddle shifters, it might be a different story if you can get into the program and adjust the parameters for manual mode to allow you to hold any gear as long as you want or put it in whatever gear you want. Just running it factory though, not worth having IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.