Charger Forums banner

car wont start

12K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  nvmy22s 
#1 ·
if someone could help it would be very much appreciated. yesterday i started my charger and let it warm up for about 10-15 mins and then we decided to drive our other car instead. shut it off that was it. today i went to go turn it on and all it would do is crank over and not fire. checked some fuses to make sure none where bad after that the car will not even turn over:angry: noticed there is a number 8 lit up now after the gear select on the dash. esp and car burning out is lit up and battery symbol is lit up, just a comparison of what i noticed that does not light up on the magnum. think a couple of these popped up after taking out the fuses i checked, what do these lights mean? if no one can help i guess i will be sending it off to the dealer come monday, was just hoping it might be something simple, is usually not with my luck.

#3 ·
Those lights come on as a bulb test and then should go out once the car is started or after a few seconds. if they stay on there is a problem with the evic or the abs/bas/esp modules. That wont cause a no start though. The evic could cause a no start however.

a/ does the car crank?
b/ does it do anything when you kick the key over?
c/ Is the red light (circle) on in the evic?
d/ pull codes on the evic and list them here

#5 ·
bulbs are staying on, do not go off after a bit,

car did crank, then we checked some fuses and stopped cranking over.
fuses are in correctly and all good, just rechecked them

when i turn on the key hear some clicking from relays in the back fuse box nothing anymore under the hood.

not sure on the evic or how to check it, will try to figure that out now.

not sure on how to pull codes, do you need anything to do it or will it flash codes at you?

thanks for the reply.

#15 ·
That means you didnt throw any codes...

#9 ·
you checked fuses and now it doesnt crank? that makes no sense. Did you check both fuse boxes? Anyway , its not likely a fuse.
so it did crank and not fire and now it doesnt even crank?

what mods do you have and whats your mileage?

#10 ·
yeah crank no fire, then no crank no nothing.

checked every fuse front back, i know it makes no sense but thats what happened. i dont get it.

car has about 39000 miles on it no performance mods at all, only thing i have changed is i use full synthetic oil, plus k&n replacement, doubt any of these are the cause,

lights that are on are abs, esp, bas, batt, and votlage? "little lightning bolt" plus the little car and my shift selector looks like this p r n d 3 8

#11 ·
i still think it is a power issue. most likely with fuel management. sounds very similar to the problems i was having with my boost-a-pump and vortech supercharger.

i did read your post and i know that you are stock but i had the same problems with my car. exactly the same symptoms you are describing.

#13 ·
test the battery first. dont just hook up a charger. you'll blow the battery right out the trunk if you overcharge it. You dont just hook up a charger because someone said so. Sorry , but you diag the problem first. If your not sure its a battery issue then overcharging and blowing up your battery will just delay the fix

#20 ·
test the battery first. dont just hook up a charger. you'll blow the battery right out the trunk if you overcharge it.
This doesn't happen when you use a charger properly. Today's battery chargers will auto shut off to prevent such hazards. But yes, if you have a real old style battery charger, you could run into problems.

I believe the OP is just visually looking at the idiot lights during the start up key cycle. If his car ever starts, all the lights will go out.

It could be a power issue, as not enough amps to close the starter relay.

#14 ·
i think you have an issue with your evic not the battery. Those lights shouldnt be on like that.

#21 ·
Most of the lights mentioned are a bulb check only. On my car at least esp and bas both go out with the airbag light. I only have etc/engine and whatever light is to the right of the etc, i dont remember what one .

And also with the charger, most people i know dont even own one period let alone a good one.

#27 ·
my experience!!!

THIS happened to me while reading on the forums i wanted to reset the whole car and i started pulling fuses to reset everything.. well what do you know when i went to start the car again all it would do is crank .... i went back to check fuses thinking i popped one and what i found out after 30 min of trying to start the car even got starting fluid... was that i put the number 11 fuse in the wrong slot. there is 1 blank space that dosent need a fuse ..

check the fuse box in the front on the car in the engine compartment its a yellow fuse and if my memmory serves me correct its the 2 or 3rd slott that dosent take a fuse.. but thats off memmory...... i messed this up over the summer. .. if my car wasent locked up i would get down there and take a pic for you buts its sleeping tight...

this was my experience with my cranking and not start .. but hey every ones experience is diffrent hope this helps..

#28 ·
THIS happened to me while reading on the forums i wanted to reset the whole car and i started pulling fuses to reset everything.. well what do you know when i went to start the car again all it would do is crank .... i went back to check fuses thinking i popped one and what i found out after 30 min of trying to start the car even got starting fluid... was that i put the number 11 fuse in the wrong slot. there is 1 blank space that dosent need a fuse ..

check the fuse box in the front on the car in the engine compartment its a yellow fuse and if my memmory serves me correct its the 2 or 3rd slott that dosent take a fuse.. but thats off memmory...... i messed this up over the summer. .. if my car wasent locked up i would get down there and take a pic for you buts its sleeping tight...

this was my experience with my cranking and not start .. but hey every ones experience is diffrent hope this helps..
thanks i will check that, lol i would feel pretty dumb if its just that.

and tryied other batt for the heck of it, same thing.

#29 ·
ok, well i feel kind dumb but not completely, that fuse was out of place and i went back down the line and check them all much more carefully, luckily that was the only one. now all lights are off but the volt and check engine. and car cranks over again.

initial turn of the key car fired once and shut right back down, now only cranks. check engine light stays on and the volt for quite a while, when the volt finally turns off, check engine light flashes looks like 9 times?

but atleast im back to where i was before the fuses. Nemmisis1 thanks for the bit of info, that was actually pretty easy to overlook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.