Charger Forums banner

Washing at Self-service, coin operated, Car Wash (gulp!)

9K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 ·
After watching the Junkman's videos I feel like a complete retard for ever doing this:notallthere::nono::banghead:. However, I live in an apartment, do not have access to a garage, and the most convenient way to wash my ride is in these drive-up car-washes.

Is this a total no-no? On my defense, before I use the foaming brush I pressure wash it with soap. Any suggestions?? I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation...

Also, from watching Junkman's videos, it seems like the foaming you do before you scrub is almost the same thing as the Triple-Foam conditioner on these car washes? Is this correct? Or am I way off in left field?

Last question, is it important to use hot or warm water in your washes? or does that not matter? Because I'm thinking I could probably get a hold of a garden hose somewhere to do the two-bucket method, but it's probably just cold water (or room temperature, I live in Louisiana so it doesn't really get that cold down here).

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Don't feel bad I'm in pretty much the same boat. I live in a studio so no covered parking and trees all around the car... No access to a garage or a place to hand wash it. All hand wash places around me use cloth to dry... All in all my car has the spider web effect going on. I'm to the point I may just end up dipping my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#3 · (Edited)
I use a pre-soak with the pressure wand and let that sit for a couple of minutes to loosen up the dirt. I'll then hit it with the high pressure wash, rinse it and finish it with a spot free rinse. Drying occurs on the 4 mile ride home on the highway (I basically go around the block using the highway). In 50-60 degree weather the car dries pretty much completely by the time I get it home. The only time I'm physically touching the car is if I wax it.

I'm not a detailer but it seems to me that the biggest evil in some of those coin operated wash bays is the foaming brush. I never use one since Jim Bob with his mudded up 4x4 has deposited tons of dirt in the brush that will easily scratch up my paint. Thankfully I don't have a finish that shows scratches easily. My wife's black Chally is a nightmare on the other hand since it doesn't even have a pearl coat to hide the most minute surface imperfections.

As far as water temp when doing it at home, I wouldn't worry too much. Whatever comes out of the tap should be OK. I'm sure Junkman will stop by and comment if there's anything that doesn't make sense.

#12 · (Edited)
I use a pre-soak with the pressure wand and let that sit for a couple of minutes to loosen up the dirt. I'll then hit it with the high pressure wash, rinse it and finish it with a spot free rinse. Drying occurs on the 4 mile ride home on the highway (I basically go around the block using the highway). In 50-60 degree weather the car dries pretty much completely by the time I get it home. The only time I'm physically touching the car is if I wax it.
What I'm going to post is not going to be rocket science, but common sense. If you stop and think about what I am saying, you'll agree that it is that simple.

Here's the problem with what you are doing. First, the method that you are using to wash the car does NOT get the car completely clean. You have to TOUCH the car in order to get it completely clean. I explain why in detail within these videos. This is why the foam gun is so important to your wash process. It creates the lubrication so that when you do touch the car, you are not creating sandpaper.

Also, driving your car while it is still wet will cause dirt to become trapped within the wet drops of water. When you finally get to where you are going and wipe the remaining drops of water off your car, you are again creating sandpaper. That's why you never drive your car dry, unless you plan on washing it again before doing any kind of wiping on it. It is these types of practices that make people wake one day and go, "Where the hell did all these scratches come from?" It's because they do things that I call 'making sandpaper'.

I was in your shoes when I first bought my car I was in an apartment complex that had no access to a hose. So I went to my brother's house or my parent's to wash and detail my car, pain in the ass but beat having to rush around with $10 and get the car clean before the time runs out.
Good idea.

Plastidip.... Dipping the whole car. It's easier and cheaper to repair dip than paint, and wraps.

Www.dipyourcar.com

Was thinking to go Matte white the. A neon green over it then removing while masking off the front grill area and the scallops

Still debating... No point polishing as it will be right back where it is now after a couple of months
I'm sorry but that stuff looks like crap. For anyone who wants to see their car in all its shiny glory, dipping is like using shoe polish and a paint brush to paint your car. I want my car to shine like glass. That's why I POLISH the paint to perfection. In these pictures, there is not a drop of wax on it, a misconception that a lot of people associate with shine.

If you don't properly care for your paint then you are right. It WILL look like crap in no time. Proper paint care is not for everyone. It takes a person with a certain level of pride with what they own. For some folks, it's their house. For others, it's their cloths. Some folks have multiple things. You have to really care about these things in order to do what is necessary to upkeep them properly.

By the way, my car is NOT a garage queen. Here's what I did with it last weekend...

i use these car wahses for 3 years and never had a problem.. choose wisely
I would love to inspect your paint under the flash of my camera. I could easily show you what those three years have done to your paint. See the car below for clarity.

I've never had a problem with this type of car wash, if you use the brush wash the brush itself out with high pressure before letting it touch your car.
There is NOT a brush in this solar system that is safe enough to use on your paint. All brushes will scratch the paint, period.

Here's the deal about detailing advice on the Internet that you have to take into consideration guys. One man's beauty queen is another man's 2-bagger. If you have ever been setup on a blind date by any of your friends, you know exactly what I'm talking about. In order to know if a guys paint is as good as he says it is, you have to get your nose down in it and look at it with a lot of light. Here's some paint that a guy told me was flawless. My partner and I looked at each other at the same time when he said that I asked him to bring his car over to the booth where I was working. Here's what I found.

The car in question:

Here's what the paint looked like without any light:

Here's what the light revealed:

As you can see, LIGHT opens your eyes up to what is really hiding in your paint. I do the same thing to mine to make sure all the damage is gone when I work on it. Everyone here has had your noses up really close to my paint via my videos so you know what I call 'perfect paint'. That's how you know if a guy is offering you beauty queen advice or a 2-bagger. Keep that in mind while reading detailing advice on the Internet.

By the way, I showed that guy what his paint SHOULD look like. His hot daughter approved. :cowsmile:

#8 ·
Yeah man. That thing is a scratch magnet waiting to happen. Considering how many people like to go four wheeling where I live, it's hard to even find a bay where you don't have to wash your car over three inches of caked mud.

#5 ·
I have a 2-car garage, but park in the driveway all year. U MAD?

:)

#6 ·
:rofl:Hahaha , at least you have a driveway... the garage is mostly just to keep all your gear. Sure wish I had a place I could hook up my own vacuum and all the washing accessories like the Junkman.

Doesn't bother me so much since at work I park at a covered garage, so most of the day the sun or other elements won't hit it.

#7 ·
I was in your shoes when I first bought my car I was in an apartment complex that had no access to a hose. So I went to my brother's house or my parent's to wash and detail my car, pain in the ass but beat having to rush around with $10 and get the car clean before the time runs out.

#14 ·
I agree that dipped is not as nice as shiny flawless paint BUT I moved from Kentucky to California and have no brother or cousin that I can go over and use their hose here. Next my car sits outside with no car port under trees. Last I work night shift so going to a car wash place around here at night isn't the best idea as 1 you can't see for crap at any of the do it yourself places near where I live and 2 for safety. Maybe on a day off you can go BUT the day after my car is always covered in tree dust.

Can't use a car cover because yet again.. You only use those right after you wash the car or you just scratch it anyways.

All in all. If you have a garage it's easy to take care of a car. Those of us without a garage it is extremely hard to keep the damn thing looking good.

Dip is not the best looking but when you have no other options... It is what it is.

Wish I could keep my pay and move back to Kentucky. The rent on my studio is damn near a house payment there.

#15 ·
GIven that most surface scratches are due to damage to the clearcoat..how much would it cost to get it re-applied again?

I mean,once it gets polished to an even level so as to eliminate swirls etx would one then be able to spray / apply a few coatings of clearcoat on top of that to ensure it'll be sufficient to withstand future polish sessions if needed?

#16 ·
You can get a good wash at one of those if you are willing to pay a little extra and be inventive.

In the winter, I cannot use my outdoor water spout. So....I put my supplies in the trunk and head to car wash. I put the money in and then I use the first round to fill my bucket and then give the car a good soapy once over. Typically, these car washes use warm water in order to keep the lines heated in the winter.....very handy! After the first pass, I then use my now full bucket to hand wash the car. Then from there, it gets rinsed off and then hand dried as usual.

Like I said, get inventive.

#17 ·
This is basically what I do down here in Florida. Can't wash my car in the driveway, sun will bake water spots in real quick. So I put my supplies in the trunk and go to the do-it-yourself. Use a medium spray pre-wash, let it soak, quick rinse, wash using my own soap and sponge (don't touch that brush!), spot-free rinse, dry, done. Not perfect but close as I can get under the circumstances. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

#20 ·
My Job title was changed to field service technician from a field service engineer. Still doing the same work for the same pay.

I am the only network certified guy on site to care of the luggage scanning network at San Francisco international Airport and when the network is good I work on the checked luggage CT X-ray scanners, and Itemiser checkpoint scanners. You can find our machines at all the major airports.

More info:
http://www.morpho.com/detection

#22 ·
Part of what you have to do is realize what your own expectations are.

If you want your car to look like the Junkman's, then you will have to be hardcore.

If you lower your expectations, then you can start making compromises.

I hate to admit it, but during January and February I use a touchless wash. When it's warmer, I alternate between the local "human" car wash and doing it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.