Charger Forums banner

P0572 Code, Dealer says Brake Switch

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  BamaBC 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me out with this? Maybe have a part number. Did a search but have not found much info.

#2 ·
They're referring to the brake switch above your foot brake. It will throw a code if the computer is not getting the correct values it expects to see.
Don't have the part number, but it's about $19 at the dealer plus about 30 minutes to have them install it.
IMHO, it's worth that to not have to stand on your head and do it yourself. Plus the plunger/shaft has to be trimmed to match your vehicle, it's a one-time-has-to-be-correct kinda thing, so there is a bit of knowledge required on how to install it right. If they screw it up, the tech goes to the parts counter and gets another; you screw it up, you go buy another and try again.

#4 ·
I don't think so....IIRC as the pedal travel changes over time due to brake and other component wear and stretching; seals, springs, etc.
Me, I'd tell them to do it and not look back. Not keen on standing on my head working under the dash. Plus if they screw it up, it's on them.

#5 ·
I hear ya. You can pay the dealer 200 bucks for a 10 minute job if you want.Was easily installed in probably 10 minutes.

1) Remove lower instrument panel cover.
2) Locate brake switch (near pedal) and turn counterclockwise 30 degrees. Pull from bracket. Unplug.
3) Match the new switch plunger distance with old brake switch.
4) Install in reverse order.

I get what you are saying about wear but you can easily tell what distance it needs to be set. It's a normally closed switch. Goes open when the pedal is depressed.

All is well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.