Charger Forums banner

(not so) good vibrations

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GTO_04 
#1 ·
So, I get this weird vibration when I am A) off throttle AND B) between about 60-80 mph. It doesn't seem to happen based on rpm given that it is all throughout that speed range, and even if I run it up to 75 and just let the rpms drop and coast along, it still vibrates until it drops below 60. I did have new tires put on and (according to theory) that has been ruled out, as has a bent wheel. Ideas? :driving:

#2 · (Edited)
I had a similar issue on my 2001 Trans Am WS6. I also had just purchased new tires. Turned out to be a tire/rim that was out of balance. It took a few attempts at different shops to get it resolved. Ultimately it was the dealer who fixed it. Tire shop told me I had a bent rim but that turned out not to be the case! So you need to find a shop that has road force balancing where the mechanics know how to use the machine.

This can turn out to be a pesky problem to fix!

GTO_04

#3 ·
I agree with this!

Most common cause of vibrations when not braking is going to be tire/wheel balance is off.

As mentioned above, take to a reputable shop and have the balance double checked!

If it was only when braking, then you would have to checked the rotors for warpage!

Let us know what it turns out to be!

#4 ·
Road force balance and you should be good to go. Mine took a few tries to balance it properly and even to this day it still has a slight shake at anything above 60. You can't feel it in the wheel, but you can ever so slightly feel it in the body and my radar detector (which is stuck onto my windshield) does shake as well.

#5 ·
I agree with all of the balancing advice but also be sure your wheels are properly torqued. It has been discussed here before as to how improper lug torque has led to vibration issues similar to having a balance issue.

Make sure they use a torque wrench and do it in the proper star pattern to make sure the torque is even on all 5 lug nuts. First they should all be snug with no weight on the wheel and then torqued to spec is a star pattern.

Reactions: GTO_04
#6 ·
Thanks guys, that's certainly what it feels like to me, and it hasn't impacted driveability in the slightest as of yet. I need to find some lighter weight wheels for it anyhow (these police steelies seem to weigh about 80lbs each! :( ) so I will keep it in mind.

#9 ·
That looks like it's tire related. Also it seems like some brands/models of tires have vibrations more than others. I had Eagle GT all seasons on my G8 GT and I had vibration issues with them. The local Goodyear store was really good about balancing and replacing them when necessary.

There are also other suspension components that could be an issue including control arms, bushings, etc. but I have not had to replace them in my case.

Some things you might try include having a different place balance them. My GM dealer claimed that some shops don't have anyone that is good at using the balance machine (Hunter?) and that can make a difference.

Could be a rim issue too but my dealer claimed if they are good at using a balance machine they should be able to determine that. Having said that, I haven't read of any vibration issues with the steelies. Since I have an SP, now I am going to miss my 18" steelies this winter. They won't fit, and besides they just wouldn't look right on the SP.

GTO_04

#8 ·
I wish I had an answer to your question! I have been having a similar issue since day 1. They finally replaced the tires, balanced/road force balanced them 5 times now, and the problem still is persisting. If you find out the cause of your vibrations, please share with us!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.