Charger Forums banner

new tires help plz

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Dab King 
#1 ·
Ok guys it's time for me to get new tires. I know these type of posts can be annoying, but with something so expensive and important on the car I want to be 100%
So I went to a tire shop and got some quotes on tires my current size (235/55/r18) and then asked if I could get any wider tires and some quotes. I ended up being recommended Toyo Proxes ST II (255/50/r18). I'm looking these up though and it says they are for SUVs and trucks mostly.. Would this be a good tire and could I run it with no problems? I just want a wider tire this stuff is so confusing. It seems like the guy at the tire place will just tell me anything will work so he can make a sale.
Also the price for the TOyos installed would be $750

#2 ·
I really don't know anything about that particular tire, so I can't help you there.

However, the 255/50 size in general doesn't seem to be manufactured by many brands. Could you go with a 245/50? There seems to be more choices available in that size. Its a bit smaller in diameter than what you currently have (about .5").

#3 ·
The tire guy told me he couldnt find any 245s that would fit my car. I ***ing hate this shit im getting so stressed out trying to get some new tires before a road trip. there has to be a million goddamn variables giving me ***en panic attacks for no damn reason. I'm looking online and it says this is a truck tire like wtf!?

#4 ·
255/55/18 Should work if you have an 8" wheel.

50's might look kinda funny as they won't fill out the wheel well as much.

#6 ·
When I called back he either said 255/55 wouldnt work or that they didnt have any that were 255/55/18

#5 ·
Reactions: GTO_04
#11 ·
I got them on. They pull crazy fast but I feel like my car is pulling to the right now like the alignment is off. And I got an alignment and have the fkn sheet and everything. I think I'm going crazy

#12 · (Edited)
Update: so the tires are amazing. i drove up to bouldercreek (320 miles) on them and didn't really feel too much difference because I wasn't driving crazy. I was trying to listen for something because I read about tires being loud in random reviews, but I couldn't hear a thing over my exhaust. Once I got to bouldercreek though is when I fell in love. It's a mountain town with beautifully windy roads and I was whipping this thing around like a rally car. I had my older brother in the car for the first time since I bought it so I was showing off a bit haha. Not gonna lie it was probably the hardest I have ever pushed the car so far. And through all these crazy turns where on the old tires I would have expected to hear them screech through the whole turn, THEY DIDNT MAKE A SINGLE CHIRP. My brother was holding on cause we were turning with such g force and no noise I was amazed. Ok picture time:

Edit: I should mention by the way the turning to the right I mentioned before is because I believe I have a bad ball joint. It starts to squeak after about 3 hours of driving. Anybody know how much this costs to fix?

#13 ·
FWIW I put the Continental 235/55/18 Grand Touring Pure Contacts on my car recently. They have an 8.6" tread width so they look noticeably bigger than the OEM Michelin's I had on. Really nice tire. I can post a picture if anyone wants. Really quiet on the road and confident handling. They are rated 100V so a little more weight handling than the OEM 99V tires. They fill the well decently with a 28.2" diameter.

#14 ·
here's one more pic just 'cause I'm about to wash her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.