Charger Forums banner

A/C issue

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lowend1 
#1 ·
In a nutshell, my '06 SE 3.5 has an issue where, regardless of the setting, the ventilation system is pulling air from outside the car. Even with the fan shut off, I'm getting forced air into the passenger compartment. Not sure where to start looking - the control head, under the dash, etc. Typically, I leave it in the recirculating mode. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Try this first,and if it doesnt work,then could be blend door actuator problem,common on Chargers
With the blower control **** in the off position start the vehicle. Depress the defrost button and hold while then turning the blower control **** to high. The defrost led should flash during the blend door actuation calibration process. The entire process takes approximately 90 seconds.

#3 ·
Thanks! Tried as suggested, and the system did indeed run through all its modes. Will check this am to see if that fixed the problem. After it finished the snowflake and Def lights have taken to blinking on and off alternately. Does that indicate anything?
Also, is the blend door actuator a simple fix?

#5 ·
Dealer tech told me that if you unplug the connectors on the back of the control unit (key off of course), then plug it back up and start the engine, the controller will "think" it's in a different car and recalibrate itself by running through all the different settings.
I replaced mine due to all but one bulb being burnt out, and when the new one fired up, it cycled through all the settings.
Might give it a try.

#7 ·
Sounds interesting. I may take a shot at it. Actuator replacement doesn't look as intimidating as I originally thought, so I'm considering that also. Something tells me that the blend door is hung up, and always allowing the outside air into the car. If it is a common problem with Chargers, as richd stated, It seems like that would be the logical culprit.

tgbraley, your comment about the controller bulbs burning out answered another question I had, since a couple of mine had gone south and I was wondering if the bulbs themselves were replaceable - I gather they are not.

#10 · (Edited)
Okay, so I ran the self diagnostic and got alternately flashing mode lights, which indicates a problem. I then ran the DTC and got a code 56, which, if I am interpreting correctly, is "recirc door linkage broken".

Update: I pulled the glovebox and got a look at the blower motor area and where (I think) the actuator is located. As I work the HVAC control to and from the recirc position, I can see what I would describe as a "shaft" between the actuator to the blower housing - it slowly rotates a couple times, I'm assuming to open/close the door - but clearly it is not doing that.

My question - does this still sound like the actuator is the culprit, or something inside the housing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.