Charger Forums banner

ongoing trans issue

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  suave19 
#1 ·
hi everyone..i have been having a tranny issue with my 14 r/t awd...when i slow down and the car down shifts especially 3-2 the rpms surge anywhere from 300 to 500 rpm..it feels like when u downshift a manual tranny vehicle..to much engine braking i feel is taking place..it is very annoying especially when u are in traffic and the car constantly slows down and the rpms surge..its not a smooth downshift..it was fine and all of a sudden it started happening...brought to dealer first time and they said it was to much tranny fluid so they removed some..problem still existed and returned to dealer and they replaced valve body..problem still exists..i did some research and i replaced the throttle body myself with a new oem one in order to not bring back to dealer and waste time..problem still exists..also i feel a shudder in tranny or engine not sure which one when eco feature is engaged..dealer said no codes were thrown..car has 7k miles..going back to dealer in 2 weeeks...need help...thanks rob

#2 ·
No experience with this issue myself but all you cans do is keep taking it back. At some point if the dealer can not resolve the issue you will probably get a new tranny.

#4 ·
hi..what is frustrating is that it was fine then all of a sudden one day it just started happening...mine makes a humming/buzzing noise when you shut it down for some seconds but it is the computer or some other electronic component..car goes into like sleep mode..when i had my bmw it did the same thing..i dont know if that is the same noise you are hearing

#6 ·
cavx5 and suave19,

There is a TSB below that could be related to your concerns, as it involves updating the TCM software. I would recommend referencing this TSB to your dealership. If it turns out this TSB does not do the trick, I would still recommend staying persistent with your dealership to try to get to the bottom of what could be causing these concerns.

TSB 21-024-14

SUBJECT:
Flash: Transmission Shift Enhancements

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.

MODELS:
2014 LD Charger
2014 LX 300

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before March 21, 2014 (MDH 0321XX) equipped with the WA580 Automatic Transmission (Sales Codes DGJ).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The following Transmission Control Module (TCM) calibration improvements are available for vehicles equipped with WA580 Automatic Transmission (Sales Code DGJ).

3.6L Engine
• Poor powertrain response or performance when trying to accelerate from moderate
vehicle speed in HOT ambient temperature conditions.
• Short shifting or surging during near to WOT accelerations with mild ambient
temperature conditions .
• Transmission does not maintain vehicle set speed when cruise control is active and
vehicle is traveling down steep grades.
• Hanging in gear complaints during HOT ambient temperature condition or when
aggressively driving and WOT throttle is requested.

5.7L Engine
• Hanging in gear complaints during HOT ambient temp

#9 ·
suave19,

I just checked out your video. I am unable to diagnose this noise and rely on our authorized FCA dealerships to diagnose and repair vehicle concerns. I would recommend referencing the above TSB to your local dealership, as well as having them investigate that noise. If you would like any assistance in scheduling an appointment, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

#11 ·
Was your dealership able to duplicate the noise, suave19?

#13 ·
Be sure to keep us posted on how everything goes there.

#14 ·
I have a 2014 100th Anniversary Ed. 6cyl. with the 8 speed transmission. I began having problems with the transmission at 2500 miles. Took it to the dealer 3 times (the first 2 times, they did a software update which didn't fix it and the third time, I pointed the issue to the auto tech while test driving but he immediately said "No, I didn't hear it).

Pretty upset that I actually make a car payment every month to drive a car with 10,200 miles on it and it doesn't even operate properly. Some people in another post mentioned having the valve body changed (the one in the car was cracked and wasn't feeding enough fluid to the trans.).

They said, once the part was replaced the problem was gone. Lots of luck getting a dealer to do warranty work. They'll just deny there's anything wrong and turn you away.

You'd think Dodge would recognize the issue and address as opposed to treating customers like trash and denying the warranty they claim to honor. I wish you better luck than I had.

#15 ·
Hello everyone,

Sorry I am late on the discussion, this is my first post on here. Anyways...I have a R/T 100th Anniversary Edition with 21k and I was having the same problems. Everytime I would slow down the car felt as if it was stuck in a higher gear and then it would downshift and studder when I accelerated again. I took it to my local Dodge and they refreshed (flashed) the Transmission Control Module to factory settings and also they mentioned something about the adaptive learning control too.I bought this car used so I was not sure what they were talking about however, since I left the dealership I have not had anymore problems.

Go to your local Dodge Service and ask to have the Transmission Controle Module refreshed (flashed) and that should fix your shifting issue. I hope this helps!

Bryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.