Charger Forums banner

Passenger Airbag light on?

20K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  HemiLonestar 
#1 ·
I need some help with another n00b question:

I put the key in my charger this morning, turned it to on but didn't fire up the engine, just needed to open the sun roof to vent the car before getting in and hitting the road. The passenger airbag light was off. I left the key on for a few minutes, then turned it off, pulled the key, and went back into the house to finish getting the rest of my supplies for my trip. I finish putting everything in the trunk, get in, fire up the car, and the passenger air bag light on the dash is now on, to indicate the airbag has been turned off.This was strange but i thought maybe it would reset.

So, I drive to the gas station, top off with 93, and start the car again. The light comes on and stays on again. It stayed on for the entire duration of my 100+ mi trip. no other negative effects, odd sounds, or warning lights.

How in the world did I shut off the Passenger Airbag just by turning on the key?
Is this possibly a warning light for something else?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Its ok, it will turn on when someone gets in the passenger side,then the light will go out.

#3 ·
So the light will go out when someone sits in the seat?

The odd thing is, I've been driving around solo quite a bit and the light hasn't come on yet.... does this mean something is broken?

#4 ·
I know if someone opens the passenger door to get in..that turns the pass air bag on...let me get back to you...on my way to my car..I notice it on sometimes,but dont pay that much attention to it.

#5 ·
...went back into the house to finish getting the rest of my supplies for my trip. I finish putting everything in the trunk, get in, fire up the car, and the passenger air bag light on the dash is now on, to indicate the airbag has been turned off.This was strange but i thought maybe it would reset.
Did you have anything in the passenger seat or shoved under it? The passenger seat has a built-in weight sensor that determines if the airbag needs to be deactivated. Putting a gallon of milk in the seat will often turn the light on.

#6 ·
Really?...thought the air bag comes on from the passenger side door bieng opened..

#8 ·
These are next generation multi-stage airbags that are tied to a sensor in the seat to determine if the airbags should be on, off, or set to various deploy forces based on the weight of the passenger. It keeps passengers from being injured by an airbag.

Up to a certain weight, the airbag is automatically turned off. Above that weight, it is set in stages (no indicator light is shown) up to maximum based on the the weight of the passenger and the force of the collision.

If nothing is on the seat, try sitting in the passenger seat and turning on the ignition. When the light goes off, get out and see if it stays off.

I've had the weight of my briefcase on the passenger seat disable the airbag in my '05 Magnum and my wife's '05 Grand Caravan. My SRT doesn't have the passenger airbag disabled light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.