Charger Forums banner

2015 Charger Hellcat

48K views 129 replies 37 participants last post by  WorldsFastestCarShow 
#1 · (Edited)
#100 ·
They are using a 12% loss factor for the trans and rear end, stating that the new 8 speeds are more efficient. I think given that the current setup with the 5 speed is 20% the new trans would be in the neighborhood of 15% loss with the rear gears.

That puts the hp/tq rating at 730 rwhp/679 ft-lbs. The torque also kicks in at 2500 rpms (500 ft-lbs) which would explain some of the track numbers we have seen!:beerchug:

#102 ·
Is the new 8 speed more efficient than a manual?
I can't speak to drivetrain friction losses but it's more efficient than a manual in a couple of important ways:

The main advantage an 8-speed has is a wider ratio spread between lowest and highest gears so it gets better gas mileage. That's why Ford and GM are teaming up to build a factory that will make 10- and 11-speed transmissions. You end up with a unit with very reasonable ratio gaps between gears, but is able to have a ratio that turns the engine the slowest possible speed for whatever given road conditions exist. So you eke out an extra 1 or 2 MPG.

In terms of performance the 8 speed is more efficient due to its ultra fast shift speed.

#104 ·
10. You can’t put a Hellcat engine in a Viper. You shouldn’t want to.

For those wondering what Chrysler’s most-powerful-ever engine is doing in anything but the Viper: two different animals. The SRT people describe the Viper as a track car you can drive on the street and the Hellcat as a street car that can go to the track. The Hellcat engine and attendant cooling weigh about 180 pounds more than the Viper V10, so you can stop right there. But if you haven’t put down your shoehorn yet, know that the Hellcat V8 is way too tall to fit under the Viper’s carbon-fiber hood. So just don’t.

And anyway, the sensible thing to do is buy a Challenger Hellcat and enjoy the engine where it belongs. Because it only costs $60,990 for the manual model, which is insanely cheap for America’s most insane engine.
Hmm

An aluminum block would save 100 pounds right there

Or

You could go twin turbos down in the V of the engine to lower the height to get under the hood of a Viper

BOTH

Aluminum block to save weight and twin turbos inboard and you will get over 750HP

#105 ·
From AllPar

The Charger Hellcat is around 100-120 lb more than the Challenger Hellcat. It is not intended for sale in Europe. The weight distribution is 54-46.
Interesting

The Challenger Hellcat is 57/43 %

Another reason to go Charger

#106 ·
I know somebody, who knows somebody, that whispered the hellcat has power in reserve. Take it for what it's worth, but my somebody is pretty well connected.

#109 ·
Gear train losses in overdrive on an automatic is comparable to losses in a manual. This is due to gear mesh losses. At the tested speeds, the manual most likely wouldn't be any more efficient.

#112 ·
Omg. I just saw it. Holy shit. The only question is can I wait till the 2015 to order a 2016. I I will hit a 10 second quarter mile with a stock car! I dont even care about the looks. Lol. My goal for the fastest sedan in the world has ended. And being able to run with any cars in the word on the streets is something I'll truly enjoy!

#115 · (Edited)
Alright. Now I got my excitement out of the way. One thing I noticed I'm surprised nobody said anything about. I love the new hood but doesn't it just look like the viper hood. With the scoops and inserts.

Honestly I have said this before. The stock charger looks like crap and I just had a funny little feeling they would just add nice touches to differentiate it in SRT. Yes the rear did look like a dart. Till I saw those inserts. It looks god damn pure bad ass and it might just be my favorite feature on the entire car! It reminds me Porsches. Now on the couple things I don't like. I wish there was fog lights. And I wish the grille was pure black like a big mouth.

But honestly. Yes this car is only 24.7 through the figure 8 test. It's a pig. As I'm getting older I have more a desire to buy a drivers car like the M3 which I was almost certain I would purchase. But 707 hp. 11.0 flat. All but makes me want to be a hooligan again. Nice thing about this car and this powertain. I think this will stick for a while like the 6.2 supercharge from Chevy. This will be the last dodge I will buy and as soon it's pay off. I'll get an M3 and keep the charger.

The only tough thing is should I wait for a 2016 model so more paint options and a couple new features get added? Price would probably go up too not to mention. I bought the 2012 launch year of SRT and love my blue streak but I really missed out on some features I work loved like the blacked out roof. It's nice to be back in the forum with some new excitement!

#116 ·
Heavy styling cues from the Viper all around and I love it. Can't wait to own one!

#117 ·
Honestly when the 2012 SRT released. I really hated it due to lack of hood scoop. I learn to get it over it and now it's back. With led lights that I want. More inserts. Really wish they re did top dashboard. Cheapest dash board on a 60k car. I mean I know it's fast but come on. But I'll get over it. I'm so excited about this car. I'm truly lucky to be living during an amazing engineering era while I'm still fairly young (28).

#118 ·
Extractors are better than scoops these days.
The cold air intake light delete is king.
Not going to look like the old school cars but going to define what new power looks like

#121 ·
I disagree with the characterization of the Hellcat as a straight line rocket. It may not handle as well as a M5 or Panamera GTS but it does have decent handling and great brakes.

#124 ·
I ran my 392 at willow springs and she was a big girl. A bit floaty and suffered from over heating and brake fade. Bigger brakes and better cooling will make it a better track car but I'm so curious what the suspension setting options address because track for drag is not track for twisties.

#129 ·
I don't recall and to be honest it was my second hpde. And it was on streets of willow. Comparing it to my boss it had much more roll in the corners.

Still fun as hell coming out of the turns on to the straights.

But when I got hooked on track days and started looking into what it would take to make it a better track car the list was long. That's when I jumped to the boss 302 Laguna seca.

For the strip, there are some pretty bad ass challengers and chargers. Can't wait to run my new build down the 1320

#126 ·
These cars are best at autobahn cruising. The car has lots of power over 80mph. It tracks straight and true. Is very comfortable.

The handling is good enough for the highway. It is not a track car.

And for the drag strip, yeah, it CAN do it but it is not at home at the strip.

#127 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.