Charger Forums banner

Strange noise in 2013 RT

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DodgeCares 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello I'm new here and I wanted to see if any of you might be able to help me out finding out what this noise might be. I own a 2013 charger RT 5.7, It's a bit hard to explain it so I'll try to have a video link of it soon. Whenever I turn on the car it starts up fine with the revs going up as they should but as the revs start falling it becomes more apparent it's a rattling noise coming from the front end that sounds like a revolving metal scraping sound. As I accelerate the noise level stays the same but the rattling quickens, it never seems to stop it'll either quicken as I speed up or slow down as the car is stopped. I'm quite sure it's not the "hemi tick" because it doesn't seem to sound the same. I know I explained it terribly like I said I'll try to have a video up soon. Thanks for your time!

Update: here's the video link if you guys wanted to watch it https://youtu.be/ocV2O5lX-gQ also I determined the sound is coming from somewhere underneath the throttle body hope this helps :/

#2 ·
I believe I can hear it right toward the end of the video. I would try taking off the belt and run it to see if the noise went away. If it does start spinning the accessories to see if one stick out as having a bad bearing

#3 ·
The only rattle noise TSB I can find for your vehicle is in the rear shelf area. Are you still under warranty at all?

#4 · (Edited)
Based on what I am hearing.....listened over and over again, what it sounds like to me in the first part is the typical "Hemi Tick" from the intake and exhaust valves which we have quieted down by the use of ACES IV that will cushion the valve - valve seat noise.

The other rubbing sound is very close to the cam phaser cycling on and off but just a guess on that one. Is internal in the engine. Remember that the cam phaser acts like a torque converter adjusting valve timing. ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#5 ·
First knocking sound is the typical hemi piston slap. That usually abates once the block is warm tightening up tolerances. The second sound is less obvious in nature. It is strange and I have no idea. Sorry. It's a 2013 so do you have any 3/36 left? If not it would still be covered If it's powertrain related under your 5/100. Maybe time for a trip to the dealer.

#8 ·
Thanks for following up, Giovanny. I'm happy to hear this was taken care of and covered by warranty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.