Charger Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Police outfitting

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  FLEX 
#1 ·
I was wondering, where can I get police lights (strobes for head/tail lights, grill lights, dash lights)? Are they legal to have (if I use for show purposes only)?

#3 ·
Nope....thats good for a nice pair of shiny bracelets...a night in jail....and your car towed. I dont think i would take the chance if i were you because if your at a show and leave with them on, Thats a felony around my way..i think it is everywere tho.

#4 ·
Ok first off, Im not sure where you can get these, but ebay is always a useful resource for such things :D .

Secondly, to answer your question appropriately, YES you can have these on your car, as long as they are only used for show purposes or off of public roads on your own time. If not, as other members here have stated, you are looking at a serious offense. Impersonating a police officer is no joke, whether intentionally or accidentally, and you can get into some real serious trouble. But as long as you are using them at the right places and at the right times, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

-Pat

#5 ·
Check your local laws but if you do not activate the strobes/lights on the road....only on private property and at shows......it should be o.k.

You can order them from the Galls catalog... you can find them on line. Also..... ask a local cop where their cars are wired up when the purchase them. You may find a local technician that can do it for you... and... if they have wired up some police chargers, they will know exactly how to do it.

I have thought about doing this also, for shows.

#6 ·
Check your local laws but if you do not activate the strobes/lights on the road....only on private property and at shows......it should be o.k.

You can order them from the Galls catalog... you can find them on line. Also..... ask a local cop where their cars are wired up when the purchase them. You may find a local technician that can do it for you... and... if they have wired up some police chargers, they will know exactly how to do it.

I have thought about doing this also, for shows.
That is true, but it wont help them wire his car. Police cars come with a whole special wiring harness just for them. Upfitters guide shows them how to tie into that, but not anything else.

#11 ·
To be quite honest and blunt, that's really stupid.

What are you going to do if you get flagged down by a citizen in distress who thinks you are a cop? Do you want spit on your burger when you go through the drive-thru? And do you want to get pulled over repeatedly by the police so they can check you out? If you want people to get out of your way, buy a Peterbilt.

In some stated, simple possession of emergency lighting is illegal. Just don't go there.

#10 ·
Thats a very chancy game to play. I see many tickets in your future. Not for impersonating an officer, but every damn thing he can think of. Failing to singnal, following too close, improper lane changes.

While it may be legal, like flipping the nice officer off, its just not a good idea.

#12 ·
check strobe's r us in pompano beach on dixie hwy. i buy from them all the time and they are the one's that do 70% of the patrol cars and tow truck's down here. THEY WILL SELL TO YOU but be warned if you jerk around and turn them on on the streets you will be in a world of trouble. you can have any color you want as long as it's NOT red or blue. they sell me any thing i want but i work on HOME LAND SECURITY/DEA/and FBI CARS. so they dont even question why i buy red/blue lite's.

#14 ·
Volunteer firefighters use them on their personal vehicles (my dad) and so long as you aren't in motion there shouldn't be anything wrong with them. So long as they aren't red and blue it could just qualify as a better set of hazard lights.

Just don't use them while going down the road and you'll be okay. Gall's is a good place too. I'm from a cop and firefighter family, thats how i know they have good gear.

#15 ·
Google your state's statutes. This is the best way to be sure; reading the statute for yourself. Many vehicles such as construction vehicles use strobes. In most states the key is the color of the lense. Parked in a lot with clear or non-red or blue lenses is certainly not a problem.

#16 ·
As mentioned earlier, check with Galls, or just google something like "police vehicle lighting"

#17 ·
Strong bump.

Kenny has not posted or been active here for well over 4 years.

I think we can let this thread remain dormant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.