Charger Forums banner

Cold Air Intake

5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  MrScary 
#1 ·
Has anyone change there intake on a Daytona.I was going to order the mopar one then i saw a posting about the Daytona intake tube is bigger than the after market .I figure it would make better air flow if the air filter wasnt in a box.What to do thanks SweetHemi

#2 · (Edited)
There are a million threads on this one. Let me try an summarize everyone's suggestions in to three choices:

1) Mopar. Many people love this but it sucks in air from the hot engine compartment. The inlet pipe is smaller, but a new larger version for the SRT8 is out.

2) Volant. This one has an extra pipe to help cold air to come in. But it also sucks air in from the engine compartment and has a smaller pipe than the Daytona.

3) Modified Daytona. Drop in a K&N filter for $40. You can take this one step farther with some homemade ram air. These two links give more information:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5349
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6023

I tried #2 and currently have #3. But the choice is up to you.

#3 ·
i put the K&N on my daytona.. the new pipe (K&N) is definately thinner than whats on the car from the factory. I still think the added flow from the cone filter make up for it as the car does seam more responsive and has a very noticeable increase in sound upon aceleration

#4 ·
Do you have any information or pricing about the SRT8 version?

#5 ·
I paid $315.00 shipped for mine. Part # for the SRT intake is P4510947. Mike

#6 ·
mmaloy said:
I paid $315.00 shipped for mine. Part # for the SRT intake is P4510947. Mike
Will it fit the 5.7, Oh Extraordinaire One? :whistle: The intake manifold's inlet port the same size on the two? I ask with humbled awe and await your treasured pearls of wisdom... :nervous s

#7 · (Edited)
I have the R/T package and still went with the Mopar. The car just seems to breathe better with it. Tried the K&N drop in route first with no noticeable difference. The Mopar addition added a definite jump.

#8 ·
HemiChemi said:
Will it fit the 5.7, Oh Extraordinaire One? :whistle: The intake manifold's inlet port the same size on the two? I ask with humbled awe and await your treasured pearls of wisdom... :nervous s
Well, let's see:

The Daytona intake is the same as the SRT8. The 5.7 mopar intake fits both the R/T and Daytona. So if A=B and B=C, then A=C. I suspect all the CAIs are interchangable between the R/T, Daytona, and SRT. It's all a matter of choosing the one with the best flow (ie. P4510947).

#9 ·
Then how are they different? Is the SRT one's tube a larger ID everywhere but at the intake fitting? Are the tubes the same length? Are the filters the same? The shroud around the filter?

I got QUESTIONS, man!

#10 ·
i took mine off, seemed extraneous...looking for a 12v fan to mount in front of the intake, makes sense that i could creat more hp while sitting still then. :wink:

#11 ·
PaCharger said:
i took mine off, seemed extraneous...looking for a 12v fan to mount in front of the intake, makes sense that i could creat more hp while sitting still then. :wink:
We all need a blower, one way or another...:whistle:

#12 ·
HemiChemi said:
We all need a blower, one way or another...:whistle:
Now you're hitting a string with me. I wish kennebell would get off their a$$e$ and get us a whipplecharger. Oh man, "I have a dream...."

#14 ·
Pursuit if you have a Daytona do not waste your money. Your stock box is better than any of the known CAI's unless you go the route of the Nomad CAI etc. Many members have spent a large sum of money to go back to stock. all of the after market CAI's accept maybe the volant which is way restrictive actually decrease performance as they suck in hot air from under the hood. do a search for Nomad CAI or CAI mod and you will see what to do.

#15 ·
Very happy with the Volant here. Just FYI

#16 ·
Mr. Scary, if that is true, how come so many members say they get better performance with it? I'm curious for information on this issue because I have a Daytona and was interested in the mopar CAI. Should I skip it and just get a high quality drop in filter like a K and N or airhog? An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I have the technical expertise to do a home made intake like Nomad.

#17 ·
Also, Has anyone had any experience putting the Mopar SRT8 CAI on a Daytona or RT? According to moparsupercenter.com, it says it is for the srt8 only.

#18 ·
For what it is worth. I went with the senior techs recomendation at my dealership. He also owns a charger. I put on a Mopar air intake and I have been very pleased. He also has a mopar air intake on his car and several other techs who bought chargers also have Mopar CAI. When you are sitting at idle and press hard on the gas the WHOPPP!! is pretty cool. I also notice it when I jump on it on the road. It is a great air intake but there are others that many of our forum members have installed and are pleased with them.

#19 ·
The idea of a CAI is that COLD AIR INTAKE neither the K&N or the Mopar are cold air intakes they are merly a conical cylinder attached to a pipe
You are sucking hot air into your intake hot air is not going to assist combustion I would suggest researching a bit. some on the board have made Ram air mods to the Daytona / Road and track airbox with great success a Ram air will not only give you a true CAI but also give you better top end. CAI means again cold air intake. Not hot air intake. Do you as you please but you are wasting 200+ dollars.
And the answer to why people do it is simple. Its a a MOD we MOD because its fun sadly many think it will improve performance when it will not.

Have fun

Godspeed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.