Charger Forums banner

1/4 Mile Times 2013 RT

12K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  daleleemartin 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. You have helped with all my mods. Now I have a slow 1/4 mile time. The best I could do was 14.30. any ideas. I was hoping something in the 13s. Guys at the track said we had a bad head wind but 14.30 at 97 mph is slow for a 5.7 hemi. I was in auto stick mode. Here are my mods. Any ideas ?
Diablo 91 tune
Catch Can
185 t stat
Hi flow air filter (2013 Factory CAI is good)
23k miles

#2 ·
Hi flow air filter? What filter, may I ask? maybe you're picking up more dust than air? Many have been proven to not improve and at times reduce performance. Catch can wont have any performance effects. A 185t stat wont improve your performance, only help to maintain it. What is the altitude of the track? Also, the wind can definitely be a factor, but you need to determine the issue through process of elimination. Try running another day and then without the tune and see if there's a difference. I've not run a tune, but I can imagine that tunes will affect similar cars differently, right off the assembly line.

#3 ·
To be honest I never felt the Diablo 91 or 93 tune did anything for my RT besides the slight throttle response improvement. In fact my car seems to run better without it. I have no mods. The Diablo is a decent tuner it's just that without real mods and a custom tune your going to see very little if any performance improvements with canned tunes. They are really meant for modified cars and custom tunes. JMO

Reactions: mikall01
#4 ·
Thank guys.
My filter is afe. Goes from stock 500cfm to 750. I appreciate your input. I was just a little disappointed in my times. I know it's a heavy car and the wind didn't help. I also agree that the Diablo tune could hold me back. I think a custom tune would be a good idea. Here in Cali we can't do to much because of smog and warranty issues. Maybe a posi diff and some quicker rear gears would hurt either. 3:55 perhaps.
Thank you.
Dale.

Attachments

#5 ·
Without knowing your fuel trim, leaning out your ratio could also be reducing your power. Ability to flow 750cfm doesn't mean you'll get 750cfm. What you get determines on engine capacity. The ECU also needs to learn the new flow rate, so you'd have to reset upon filter installation. What you need to do is establish a factory baseline. Once you've established a baseline, you can then do your mods. If you don't know where you start, you wont know when you've made a difference.

#12 ·
My data log before the race track showed my AF ratio at WOT to be around 11.40 with afe air filter installed and the Diablo 91 tune on 91 gas and throttle blade at 75% (never see the blade higher). I had 1deg of short term knock and 0 long term. I leaned out all rpm range ratios to be around 12.0 at WOT give or take a few and reset the tcm, shift firmness and throttle sensitivity and went racing. The track is Sears Point in napa ca. One thing I was thinking maybe I stole take off power/torq by over braking and revving to 2k at the start. Starts seemed slow (no spin) 2.1 60ft time. I was on a back road yesterday and did a zero rpm to WOT. A little spin but much more aggressive start. I'm used to my 68 dart with tci converter. Maybe my start technique messed my ecu and times up.

#6 ·
It also depends on where the track is, places with higher elevation will produce slower times, also higher temperatures equal slower times. Burning out to prep helps shave of a few too. A lot of things affect the performance, it may not be the car itself that has anything wrong with it. I don't know at what time you were running it but usually early morning or later in the evening will help a lot.

#7 ·
Hi flow air filter? What filter, may I ask? maybe you're picking up more dust than air? Many have been proven to not improve and at times reduce performance. Catch can wont have any performance effects. A 185t stat wont improve your performance, only help to maintain it. What is the altitude of the track? Also, the wind can definitely be a factor, but you need to determine the issue through process of elimination. Try running another day and then without the tune and see if there's a difference. I've not run a tune, but I can imagine that tunes will affect similar cars differently, right off the assembly line.

#14 ·
rpm range ratios to be around 12.0 at WOT give or take a few and reset the tcm said:
So when you said you reset tcm did you mean you turned it off? I know with the Diablo you can turn it off temporarily. Then it will reset itself to On once the car is turned off then back on. Its a pain because you have to repeat this process every time you shut her down.

#15 ·
rpm range ratios to be around 12.0 at WOT give or take a few and reset the tcm said:
So when you said you reset tcm did you mean you turned it off? I know with the Diablo you can turn it off temporarily. Then it will reset itself to On once the car is turned off then back on. Its a pain because you have to repeat this process every time you shut her down.
Wow. Did not know that. I reset it before the race then left it alone. I was just told to reset it before a race. I didn't know you could shut off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.