Charger Forums banner

WOT today with 500 miles in '15 Scat Pack

20K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Canuck2015ChargerScatPack 
#1 ·
Finally hit 500 miles today and was able to WOT the SP....WOW! This thing is such a blast to drive and is very fast. It's weird I have had 500HP AMG S55 before and 550hp Shelby GT500 mustang before, but the power delivery from this Hemi through this 8 speed transmission just feels so much faster...the power is immediate and just keeps pulling....

I completely smoked this guy in his $100+k Porsche Panamera 4S. After feeling this acceleration, simply cannot imagine what the Hellcat must do to these other cars.

What I also find amusing if the ricer-boys in their like accords who want to play the stupid weaving in and out of traffic game as if they are going to "win the race"...I don't even waste time with them.

What I really love about this car is that after all of this fun...I just drop into into auto mode and take some work calls doing 55mph in the right lane and it's instantly so civilized and quiet.

The dual nature of this car is amazing.

I know the adapative suspension thing has been beaten to death, but I really cannot thing of a better setup for the road than the SP in sport mode...it's got amazing feel, good weight to the steering and basically no body roll and most importantly, tons of feedback to the driver.

Comparing this to the Gen III viper, these setups are so much better. That car is numb and gives basically no feedback to the driver and limits are discovered when it's already too late...

This thing handles and accelerates so much better than the GT500 Shelby. That thing was such a POS when it came to handling, would never have any idea what the backend was going to do and any sweeping turns with any changes to speed would completely unsettle the car and it was just scary not fun or locked in.

I am just so in love with this car...it's like having a civil mercedes 4 door and then all hell brakes loose nascar all in the same car...with looks to kill.

It's beyond comprehension to me that I get all this fun for basically $20 more a month than the POS wrangler I handed in....the accessibility of almost 500hp is insane when you think about it...5 years ago this would have set you back $100k in any car.

Homerun Dodge!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
All you guys and your Scat Pack stories are going to make me get a divorce when I tell my wife I'm trading the R/T in lol. Congrats on reaching 500 miles and getting that first WOT blast!

#7 ·
I just got back from a 15 minute quick drive to no place. I told the wife I had to go to the store but really just went for a drive to listen to the exhaust. It sounds great most of the time but then when you really get on the gas it sounds amazing. I smile every time I start the engine.
Not had chance for any head to heads with other vehicles yet. Like 1 of u guys said it is not worth bothering with a guy in a civic.
I need to get out in some side roads up in the mountains and see how she handles.
I live this car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
I've only got ~200 miles on mine and it is just going to sit in the garage for another couple weeks as I got sent out of the country for work... Unfortunately when I get back I've got another trip planned, but when I'm back from that I'm signed up for the SRT Experience so I'll get to go beat on someone else's car which will be nice :)

#9 ·
I think you nailed it, haven't gone past 3500 RPM yet and I already feel the low end power. I though I wouldn't find a difference in power coming from a 13 SRT but you are right, that 8 speed delivers the power so much better

#10 ·
Like said welcome to MOPAR Performance. The difference between the new 8 speed and the old Nag1 5 speed is night and day. The torque to the wheels is better than the 2014 SRT's with a "3.92 Getrag rear end". That is some pulling power!

Torque to the wheels (No Loss) = Torque at engine X Trans ratio X Gear ratio

For a 2014 SRT, say 400 lb-ft torque average and the 3.92 Getrag in 1st gear:

400 X 3.59 X 3.92 = 5629 lb-ft at the wheels

The new Scat Pack/SRT with 3.09 rear and 4.71 1st gear

400 X 4.71 X 3.09 = 5821 lb-ft

No wonder they are getting 12.3 in the quarter by just putting on bigger shoes in the rear!:beerchug:

Reactions: GTO_04
#11 ·
Too bad you waited.

Rings are set within the first 50 miles. My car was probably broken using WOT 3rd gear pulls. Since you're leasing you probably don't care but waiting for 500 miles is a joke:

I love how you post love/hate posts. Your "dual" nature is just throttle/shifts, it just feel dual natured. Reminds me of sport mode on our 1991 accord that changed the throttle sensitivity to shift points. Resulting in faster down shifts on applying of throttle.

For a car guy as you claim yourself to be this is as big a joke today as it was over 20 years ago. Nothing meaningful changes on your car. Nothing.

Enjoy it, really. I think dodge is offering huge value to their customers in budget super sedan territory.

#12 ·
Wtf are you talking about, I mean dual nature in when you aren't driving like mad, it's a very civilized car, unlike many sports cars I have owed which are very hard on the road and some downright uncomfortable after 30 mins ....but thanks for making this about the sport button, which I wasn't referring to.

#13 ·
Ohh and I'm glad your breakin advice is basically beating the crap out of it in 50 miles. The break in is not just for engine , but tranny. I did vary gears and hold speeds at different rpms up to and increase RPM range through to 500 miles . Only clowns who know nothing about breaking in a car state that wot in first 50 is a good idea .

#27 ·
I stated 3rd gear pulls. Which would be from 2-5k and engine brake down a few times and then to 2-red a dozen times.

If you google this method you'll find it documented by a gent who race bikes to show you the difference on the Pistons and rings.

All my track buddies use this method for motor break ins with great results. In same model/ year comparison this method produced an extra 10-12hp on a factory 240hp rated motor when measured at the wheels.

Factory method avg 190hp
This break in avg 202

While not a massive difference in figures it shows a 6% variance. These dyno runs were done the same day on the same machine and outside the margin of error.

The result is also less oil consumed during result driving and on the track.

For most folks the idea of WOT seems abusive because they know no better. I am NOT suggesting WOT in first gear.

#14 ·
HI All,
At UTI we were taught the "seating the rings" debate is in the days of old. Back then oil viscosity was nowhere near what it is today. Parts are stronger, tolerances are tighter, and ring/piston combination are lighter. Today how they check engines before they leave the factory are WOT and make sure no issues. So your 5.7 or 6.4 has already been at WOT. The only reason to take it easy at first is to let the metal shavings get caught in the bottom of the oil and Trans pans. 500 miles is over kill. 200 miles or 1st full tank of gas at the most. Any loose shavings at that point are on the magnets in the pans. Then in the immortal words of Bo Duke its YEE-HOO from there on out. :driving:

#15 ·
Do you have any evidence that your break-in method actually has a "benefit" ? Maybe 500 miles is conservative and overkill but isn't that better than the other scenario? It doesn't harm the engine by taking it easy the first 500 miles. I just call BS that driving it hard earlier "improves" the performance of the engine. You talk about these rings like your Frodo.

#18 · (Edited)
I always laugh when folks talk about the factory break-in period as being incorrect or too long.

Read this from my '06 SRT manual carefully...

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
"A long break-in period is not required for the engine in
your new vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).

After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55
mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration, within the
limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.

Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be
detrimental and should be avoided."

There is nothing in these recommendations that are incorrect or over-kill. You have to remember that you are breaking in the entire drive train, not just the engine.

They stated clearly in the first sentence that a long break-in isn't required, only 60 miles as stated in the third sentence. They also recommend WOT after the first 60 miles to contribute to a good break-in (just don't do it in low gear to avoid shocking the drive train while it is breaking in).

300 miles without excessive abuse following these instructions seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Reactions: a14umbra
#20 · (Edited)
Instructions from a 1960 Dodge Dart Phoenix D-500 owners manual (great big finned car with a 383-not the little Dart of the mid 60's)

"To properly seat the piston rings in a new car, drive the car for 1/2 hour or 30 miles to thoroughly warm up the engine. Find an open stretch of road and put the trans into 2nd gear, then rapidly accelerate from 30 to 70 mph at wide open throttle. Allow the car slow to 30 mph by itself without braking, then repeat the procedure eight to ten times. Change engine oil as soon as possible after break in."

This was 1960....

#22 ·
LOL this is such a strange attempt at an insult to me. If you had any idea how to make your $ make $, you would never buy a vehicle new. Take the collector car market out of it...you somehow feel that "buying" a highly depreciable asset makes sense? I never keep a car longer than 2-3 years and like to have the latest models, I have always leased all my cars, with the exception of a Gen II viper that I picked up with 150 miles on it, for $50k (Sticker of $85) drove it for 2 years, put 15k miles on and sold it for $49k - I used to joke it was cheaper for me to own a viper for 2 years than go to skip barber for 2 days and drive it for 2 mins.

The only time it ever makes sense to "purchase" an asset is when you expect the value to appreciate. Otherwise, you are better offer investing that lump sum and using the interest/return on principle to pay against the asset.

I would wager to say you don't have the lump sum outright as disposable assets and are "buying" your charger as a bank loan because you plan/need to keep it longer.

Some of my wealthier friends are the anomaly where they have so much $ they simply could care less about having to make any payments and just buy outright and the loss on trade in doesn't matter at all...but none of these people are buying chargers.

People and $ are funny. I have a bunch of neighbors that would brag about the house they "owned" and how special that made them feel, most of them didn't "own" anything and just owed the bank a lot of $. Only in America do we brag about who has more debt. Today half of them are under-water and never getting out.

Less out of pocket, less risk, rotation of new cars...leasing will always be the way to go for me. :alfdance:

#24 ·
LMAO ^^^ :D

asdf

#25 ·
Leasing may be the better way to go for you but it sure as heck isn't the best financial route. You are constantly with a monthly payment loaded with high interest that never ends. You have no equity ever.

Pay cash for a car. Keep for 5 years or so and sell privately when you are ready. No car is a good investment but you can certainly get better value for your $ by not paying revolving interest to the leasing company for eternity. Probably could have bought yourself a hellcat by now with it!

#26 ·
You're wrong, the net OOP on a lease is way less and I'm in a new car every 3 years. Like you said, neither is a good investment, none of these options is an investment. Like you said, you are strapped for 5+ years on a finance in most cases...there isn't that much interest on a lease, this isn't a home mortgage.

#38 ·
I broke mine in,1st 100 miles mountain road 40 mph, hit interstate 1000 miles later Dallas tx, change oil and filter, another 1700 miles, back home, oil change, new filter (Brian's secret sauce)
My engine builder said run it like you stole it, 1st start (new engine, stroker) 15-50 mobile 1, went to Brian's oil, 2700 miles.
Engine running like a raped ape!

No steady speeds for 1st 100 miles, speed up slow down, make sure a wot or two, up and down setting rings, running in bearings, almost all engines are spun up a factory with air.

Normal driving will not hurt it, just vary speed.

#40 ·
I drive my Charger Scat Pack for random trips to nowhere, just to cruise and listen to the engine and exhaust note. Then I put the hammer down for a few seconds and enjoy. I have to admit, this car gets serious respect at traffic lights. One guy in an WRX STi weaved his way to get pole position only to discover the big 392 badge on the side of my car. I gave it one good throttle blip. He didnt even think about it. Its like having a huge dog with a big bark. Everybody stays away. I cant tell you how many people come up to this car and ask questions about it. Some people mistake it for a Hellcat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.