Charger Forums banner

Trailer Hitch Questions

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  hskr 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have this Mopar "Hidden" trailer hitch installed on my Charger. I haven't yet completed my 'tow package', because some of the other parts I need have been on backorder. I am ready to get it going, but am a little unsure of exactly what else I need. I am pretty sure I need an inverted ball mount adapter AND a ball mount:

Anyone know if these are the correct parts? Is that all I need to get started? Forgive my ignorance - never towed anything.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I thought these were like... impossible to find

#3 ·
Go with the 1st one, it's the 2" receiver and provides more options.

#5 ·
I still have not been able to find these parts, nor can I find a representative from Mopar or any dealers that seem to know what I am talking about. So I paid good money for this hitch receptacle and wiring kit...and had it installed many months ago...and have yet to tow a single thing because I can't find the right ball mount adapter. Anyone know of a phone number or reliable contact in the Mopar organization who might be able to hunt this down for me??

#9 ·
Wow.. That's expensive! I went with A class III 5000 lb. It was $140 when I bought it. The wire kit was an extra $30. Free shipping on both.
http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-iii-receiver-hitch-2-inch-13465-p-1098.html
I found a lot of my Class III receivers didn't clear the bumper or were too short, so I got this: http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-mount-hitch-with-6-inch-drop-94898.html I just turned it upside-down and mounted the ball and it works. I tow a 2000lb boat and a box trailer.
So $140 (Hitch) +$30 (Wires) +$26 (Receiver) + $70 (Installation) = $266

#11 ·
If the Mopar is behind the bumper, it's got to be a PITA to put in and out. It's very proprietary too. If they stop making those receivers you're screwed. I always put the biggest hitch possible on my cars. That way I don't worry about hitch capacity when I'm towing, just the car. You never know what you're going to tow years from now. My newer boat is 1000lbs heavier than my old boat.

I like mine. It's not like it sticks out past the bumper. I wouldn't pay $150-$200 more just to keep it out of view on occasion. I'd think that extra $200 would go towards something worth-while, like a CAI or Predator. However, if you feel the need to buy that hitch, it's your car. Let's face it, if you have a show car odds are you ain't towing with it.

Attachments

#12 ·
Would take too long to search, but I got my entire set up(didn't buy the "Mopar" branded one) for under $250 and installed it myself. The vertical receiver sits behind the bumper but it is very easy to install and remove the adapter. It hangs down about 1/2" if that below the bumper. My wife has zero problems using it as it's her car and she uses it to tow our trailer every now and then. The hitch itself has a higher towing capacity than the car does so not worried about hitch capacity either. And I already have my adapter and it's not like it's a high wear item that I will ever need to replace, so I'm not screwed at all.

And Mopar doesn't "make" anything. Everything they sell is just re-branded parts other companies make. And the company that made the Mopar "stealth" hitch is still in business and still making vertical receiver hitches for other vehicles.

Here's a picture of the rear of my car. You can't even see the hitch at all. My internet from the ship sucks too much to try and find pics of it with the trailer hooked up.

#13 ·
And you don't have to have a "show car" to enjoy entering your car into car shows. I like my vehicles to look good and enjoy hanging out at car shows with other car enthusiasts. But also use my vehicles as vehicles, to include towing trailers when needed and don't do anything to inhibit the utility of them.

My truck in my sig pic also gets entered in car shows, but is my daily driver and has a Class III hidden hitch on it. I take off the license plate and insert the hitch into the receiver through a hole in the rear bumper behind the license plate. It's a little harder to get the hitch installed on the truck as I have to climb underneath, but I don't use it that frequently to worry about it.

#14 ·
The price I had included install. When I looked around, the cost for the hidden hitch was significantly greater and it didn't seem to be worth it, IMO.

You're right they don't wear out, but they could be lost or stolen. Then you're paying $50 for something you could get locally for half the cost.

I know how Mopar parts work. LOL

Ok.. let me rephrase that: If you have a real show car, you're probably not towing with it. Why?
  1. People want to see HEMIs under the hood at car shows. Most HEMI's like the 6-speed R/T's and all SRTs have "Towing not recommended" in the Dodge tow capacity chart.
  2. If you're dumping 10g's into a car for professional show, you're not doing it on a V6.

I do put my SXT in a yearly car show for a charity event at work. I get a lot of positive feedback. Almost everyone asks "does it have a HEMI?" Now I'm not trying to P/O fellow V-6 owners. It's just how it is.

BTW: Nobody at the show ever mentioned the hitch. They comment on things like grill and headlights, and custom T-shifter.

#15 ·
My wife and I started a local Mopar group in Nebraska/Iowa. During the summer we are going to a car show almost every weekend, and sometimes two in same weekend. Plus I've never liked the way most receivers look that hang below the bumper, even on trucks. I like the clean look.

When looking for a hitch for our car I saw the Mopar one and wanted that one but wasn't going to pay the price for the actual "Mopar" one. Knowing how Mopar work I knew I could find the same exact hitch for probably half the cost and I was right. Just took a little research to figure out who made it and then to find the cheapest place to buy it from. I don't think you can find the stealth hitch anymore, even from the actual manufacturer, but they still make the vertical stealth hitches for other cars so the adapters are out there. The one I linked wasn't even the cheapest one I saw, just the first one that popped up in the search. So just doing a bit of research will save money. And I've had the hitch on the car for over three years now and haven't lost the adapter yet as it goes into the truck next to the spare tire when it gets removed. Not sure why anyone would want to steal it, but it wouldn't matter as we don't leave it on the car when we aren't using it anyways.

And I disagree on your opinion about what people want to see at car shows or what people are spending on modifying V6s. And I've seen several "show cars" at car shows that are used to tow, but it's usually a matching trailer and is part of their show presentation. But then again, neither of us have "show" cars so not sure why you are even talking about them.

And nobody probably ever mentioned your hitch because it's a hitch. Everyone knows what it does. I have had quite a few people ask me about my hitch because it's on my list of mods on our Showboard we use at car shows and they don't believe I have one because they can't see it. Then when I show them they ask where they can get one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.