Charger Forums banner

Hood support piston failure

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  VertCharger 
#1 ·
I raised the hood on the ride to dry under there after washing her as normal and as I was doing so, I got popped in the back of the head. Thought I didn't get the hood fully up and, laughing at myself, again raised it. But I watched as it slowly started to fall back down again. Would have thought the pistons would have lasted more than 5 years, but I guess it is a pretty heavy hood. Anyone else had to change theirs out and, if so, aftermarket replacement and costs? Thanks guys, searched but couldn't find anything in the archives.

#2 ·
Any compressed gas cylinder fails after awhile...it isn't just ours.
Five years is about right.

#3 ·
Mine lasted just over 5 years. I replaced them last year. My trunk supports seem to be getting a little weak so I might have to replace them this year.
:driving:

#4 ·
Gezzzz the ones on my GTO never failed me, they have been fine for 46 years..

Big John:beerchug:

Attachments

#5 ·
That was before "planned obsolescence" which is todays philosophy.

I noticed that my trunk struts are getting weak too. Over 6 years of ownership and have only had to replace the tie rods (under warranty) and the tension struts besides brakes and oil. Can't really complain about that.

#6 ·
I replaced.bith of my hoid struts for.the same reason

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
My '06 did not come with any, just the metal support. But there was a simple mod which I did and the struts have failed so I am back to using the metal support. Just replace them. BTW: The hood is aluminum and very light.

#10 ·
The only thing I did to preserve the paint around the hole where the prop rod enters is a small piece of clear hosing attached to the end of the rod so as not to damage any paint on the hoods entry point..

Big John

#14 ·
I've replaced the hood struts and the trunk struts due to them getting a bit weak. The hood almost hit a tech on the head while he was changing the oil.
The best explanation I've heard about why these struts are failing is that they're designed for normal use. We (forum-folk) tend to open and close our hoods a lot more than the 2-3 times per year that a normal car's hood gets opened.

They were looking to save a couple bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.