Charger Forums banner

Internet Sales Fraud is a Federal Crime

18K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  sal jc 
#1 ·
Thanks to Shots for this invaluable information.

I don't know the details of this case other than what was posted here, nor do I have any experience with this member. So I don't want to make any accusations toward this member, or this sale.

However. Possibly for this, and more importantly, for anyone with similar situation on any format with any sale (forums, ebay, craigslist, etc). False sales are a federal crime. It is mail fraud, and there are federal agencies there to protect you. Specifically the IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center found at www.IC3.gov) will take the complaint, investigate the claim, and file appropriate charges for internet/mail fraud. Mail fraud is any scam that claims to be selling an item that will be shipped/mailed to you, and then either does not send it, or sends something that is not what was advertised. The IC3 is very effective, and I have first hand experience with them. People don't realized there are federal laws against stuff like this, and even if they do, they don't usually know how to take any action. I'm trying to spread the word, to hopefully cut down on internet scams.

#2 ·
oh man, Now I can do something about one person on here thats banned....

#5 ·
does this apply to canadians that got taken by someone in the states, or is this only for US citizens?
bought a set of SRT seats from a member and after the paypal time limit was over he hasnt been on here since.. im out $1400.00 and no seats

#8 ·
kk will do thanks

#11 ·
You'd be surprised. If I had a dollar for every disgruntled buyer I've had send me a pm looking for help I can't give I'd have a 426. :D Usually it's a seller I've never heard of who has 3 posts or something which is why we made a 50 post minimum to post in the for sale section.

#12 ·
I wish I could be...I'm not surprised, just that one would think on a site where we all share the same love for one particular model of car, that we'd more or less be able to get along, treat eachother w/respect- which includes honoring any agreements made. Of course, that's just me with the blinders on...there are scumbags every which way you turn.

#13 ·
Being a new member here, I would like to include my 2 cents and I hope everyone on here reads this;
I have worked in Fraud for the past 4 years before recently being promoted.
When dealing with ANYONE, I suggest always using PayPal. Don't select "gift". Pay the damn 45 cent fee. That 45 cents might save you a couple thousand in lawyer fees! PayPal is extremely good at dealing with stuff like this.
I love purchasing stuff off the internet, but I am also extremely cautious.
I have been stiffed, luckily it wasn't a lot of money.

Just KNOW what/who you are dealing with!
If possible... deal in person! That way you can see and sometimes test what you are buying! Bring a friend or relative for safety. If you can't, let people know exactly where you are going.

It's sad that we have to worry about stuff like this but its life, there will always be shady people.

#14 ·
good luck getting LEO to pay attention to your little internet sale.

#16 ·
Strong thread bump for a 5-year old subject. ;)

I'm fairly sure they have it cleared up by now. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.