Charger Forums banner

Very little airflow from rear vents.

5K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  joescat 
#1 ·
I am getting poor airflow from the rear vents. Is this normal or should it blow as much as the front. Mom was back there today on the way to dinner and kept going on about how her 1998 ford taurus blows just fine. What a POS that car is.

#2 ·
my rear vents aren't very blower friendly either. you can feel the air coming out but it is so damn slow that you can barely feel the air. they more assist the front than actually provide the air back there.

on a side note i have seen where guys have rigged up computer fans in the vent in the rear to get it blow air.

not really sure why it is so piss poor at blowing air back there.....it was like they had a great thought and then forgot to complete it.

this is one of my very very few complaints about the car.....and it really isn't a complaint as the fronts blow so hard that the car can get darn right cold.

#4 ·
I've found that even though the rears never match the front, I get the most flow from them when the system is not on automatic.
If you use the manual high fan setting with the last vent setting on the right, (forgot what it's called) you get the most flow from the rears.
Whenever I have people in back, I use this override setting, and it minimizes the complaints.
I agree that the fan back there could be better.

#5 ·
I think they slave to the "vent" aka dashboard vents. So, turn that position on in the directional control. Any mix between the dash and windshield or floor seems to significantly reduce the flow to the back.

I haven't had much need for A/C yet around here, but as far as heat, this car is specacular - I'm never cold when I don't want to me, and passengers haven't complained at all either, back or front seats.

I'm anxious to test out the A/C on those hot, muggy days. We get a great range here - single digit lows in the winter (and very occasionally see below zero F), and 9x / 9x temp/humidity, very occasionally 100's and humid. I don't like heat, and need A/C that cranks it out.

#6 ·
I set mine to Dash and Floor setting (internal circulation) and set it to full blast. The rear vents are connected to the floor vents. It takes a little longer to cool than straight dash setting but it sends the cool air to the back fairly well.

#8 ·
kingtigre said:
The rear vents are connected to the floor vents.
Sorry, but I believe that is incorrect. I just tried mine again to make sure (I have the dual, automatic climate control, in case that makes a difference.

Moved the passenger seat all the way forward, turned the fan on about 1/2, not recirc. mode. When set to the dashboard vents only, air blows out of the center console vents to the back. There are floor vents too, under each front seat (to keep the rear passenger's feet from freezing). Setting it to "floor" changes to those outlets.
A mix between the settings mixes it up back there too.
I did not play with the "defrost" positions.

I do agree though, it seems to blow fairly hard - not enough to push a soccer ball around kind of hard, but it's not a trickle either though. Maybe those that are having that problem indeed have a problem. But, keep in mind that anything other than the "dashboard" setting, some airflow will be stolen by the floor vents, front and back. Cold air sinks, which can make it take longer for the perception of cooling to occur.

For me, I do what you do usually, a mix. Like to blow the hot air out of the floor area and cool my feet, along with the dash vents for that instant feeling.

I've yet been able to test mine on the hottest, humid days - which are coming eventually - upper 90's (and occasionally more), and 99% humidity. We're surrounded by lakes here. I hope it works powerfully - I prefer cold over heat (I ice fish - and, rarely hit the beach).

#9 ·
I'm on the standard controls.
I think there must be a definite difference between the standard and the dual auto control.
The only way I seem to get ice cold air running to the back is with the floor vents on.

#11 ·
blitzkrieg said:
i think the ac not good at all, front or rear, compared to other cars i have had....and it is incredibly loud.
I agree I have a better system in my 96 Pathfinder.

#12 ·
That is disappointing news.:cry: :cry:

#13 ·
Well, one thing I noticed last couple of days - it's been very warm (70's, near 80's is "very warm" to me), the difference with the "recirc" mode is even more pronounced than other vehicles I've had - even my Dodge Durango. The A/C seems to work alright, although it's not very powerful. But, it's a near instant effect switching on recirc mode, and it really starts to get cold then!

#14 ·
I have the standard controls and the air is on all the time, i have noticed that the air from the back vents is always warmer than the air from the front vents, this has made complaints from the rear passangers sayint it is to hot back there, this is becuase the fronts work very well and i have to mix the air with hot up front which translates to hotter air in the back so i have to block the vents back there to keep it cool back there and aim one of the front vents to the back,

Also does anyone vents start out hot when turning on the car before going cold even with the air on

#17 ·
What will help is run w/o the A/C on, as you're arriving at your destination.

The moisture being pulled out of the air due to the A/C gets trapped right where it was when you shut the car off. Then, when you restart it and turn the fan on, that moisture is right there coming out - along with the now hot air. So, it's moist and hot air.

I also do that if I'm going to park the car for a while. That pent-up moisture is a good place for things we don't like to grow - mold, etc. Even the cabin filtration system won't help that, as it's already IN the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.