Charger Forums banner

Whats needed to replace stock speakers, keeping OEM headunit??

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  GB49 
#1 ·
My dad wants to change the stock 6 speaker setup in his car to aftermarket, while keeping the OEM 6disk cd player that came with the soundgroup 2 pkg. If hes keeping the stock headunit and amp, do the new speakers still need to be re-wired throughout the car? Im confused on how the chargers speakers are hooked up, I assume its not as simple as cars used to be where you replace the speaker, hook it up, and your good to go. Ours run off "Plug n play" harness's kinda right?

#2 ·
I'm sure someone more knowledgable will pipe in but I understand that you need to match the ohm rating of the new speaker with the current speaker and that there is an adapter that allows the new speaker to hook into the wiring harness.

#3 · (Edited)
if he buys the factory kicker stuff than its plug and play. if he goes with a set of after market speakers then they have to be 2ohm. the reason why is if he puts off the shelif speakers[which are most of the time 4 ohm] the factory amp wont build power at 4 ohms and the power out put will be cut in half. from 46 watts to 23 watts. and that my friend will sound like chit. go to mopar super center and buy the kickers. the front kit is $149 plus shipping and the rear kit is $85 plus shipping and they work well at the 46 watt that the factory amp puts out.

#4 ·
What options are there to upgrade the rear-deck mounted woofer that comes with the BA 7-speaker system ?

And what size is it ?

Anybody know ?

#5 ·
Mopar (kicker) powered SRT speaker, or even bigger non deck speakers. After that, aftermarket that S&S can help you with.

#6 ·
I really wanna keep the factory look, I DON'T want to spend $500 on more bass like the Kicker sub that mounts in the trunk on the driver side.

Anybody know what size is the factory Boston Acoustics rear deck-mounted subwoofer ?

And is it also a 2 ohm speaker ?

#8 ·
The rear deck sub is 8".
If you drop down the trunk liner you have visual access to the harness and speakers/sub. You will see a cutout in the sheet metal for the sub.
The sub harness is taped to the existing speaker wires.
I think but, not completely sure, you have to remove the top rear deck to get the speakers out.

-GB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.