Charger Forums banner

Does the dealer charge to tell me whats needed to fix a CEL?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott 
#1 ·
Im out of warranty but keep getting a P0430 CEL every couple of days (something to do with the CAT efficiency bank too low).......Ive been putting up with it for a month now and just reset it with the predator but im sick of it.........question is, if Im out of warranty and bring the car in to the service dept, will they charge just to "diagnose" it and tell me the cost to fix it?

Ive heard it could be anything from my mids being lose where they connect to the catback (already had this checked), to the CAT itself have gone bad, to the bad 02 plug that needs replacing.

Thanks

#2 ·
You bet the will...5 mins = $89

Your parts may well be fine. I get that if i drive 10 miles w/out my custom tune. Also best to start w/cheapest fix. The 02 sensor could be reading too much/little airflow and they are cheap and easy to replace.

The other thing, if it is your cats, i believe the warranty is longer and then you dont get charged the diagnosis.

Yea i'd probably go that route...check your emmission control warranty and bring it in based off that. If they charge you at least you have an argument that you were bringing it in for a warrantied repair.

#6 ·
If it's the O2 sensor after high flow cats, just use double spark plug foulers. This will trick the sensor in thinking the emissions is fine.

#11 ·
I don't think the O2's are the problem. I think the system can detect an O2 signal fault and give the code for that. In this case, it is reading the O2 signals OK but is detecting a less than expected change across the CATS. That is why the cat efficiency code is coming up. As mentioned, all emissions related parts are covered longer (80K miles I think) and would be replaced under that warranty. I'd hate to see you buy 2 or 4 O2 sensors and still have the same problem. Most auto parts stores will read the codes for free and let you know what they mean.

#12 ·
i don't think the o2's are the problem. I think the system can detect an o2 signal fault and give the code for that. In this case, it is reading the o2 signals ok but is detecting a less than expected change across the cats. That is why the cat efficiency code is coming up. As mentioned, all emissions related parts are covered longer (80k miles i think) and would be replaced under that warranty. I'd hate to see you buy 2 or 4 o2 sensors and still have the same problem. Most auto parts stores will read the codes for free and let you know what they mean.
x2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.