SRT AWD 8 Speed -Chicago Show?? - Page 5 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaesar View Post
Not a big fan of the GT-R though obviously I respect its performance capabilities.

1. Styling is plain ugly to me - not sexy at all

2. It almost takes the driver out of the equation. It is the new Porsche 959 where it is so good you have to be a complete idiot to mess up. There is less talent involved in driving one fast than a Viper or ZR1

I love the AMG line - especially the big ones. And the new AWD E63 might just be perfect IF it has enough back seat room. Otherwise I might lean towards the S8 - at least until the next generation S63 comes out.

Right now the S8 is faster and has AWD over the S63. Of course it also is nose heavy since Audis are converted FWD platforms.

For sports cars, I have a feeling the next Gen Vette will be another performance value
The Vette will be held back by the transmission choices. No twin clutch is really going to hurt them as more and more competitors are using them. Unless they do a fairly major running change, the Vette wont have a twin-clutch until 2020+. They said that they cannot fit a twin clutch in the current C7 due to size. I do love the styling of the new Vette (they seriously ripped of the Ferrari 599 styling). The rear end I am not sure about, but I don't hate it like many of the "old school" Vette guys do.

And have you driven a GT-R? I used to think I wouldn't like it, but it is very impressive to drive. 0-60 in 2.7 is no joke speed. I wouldn't buy one, but they are a really, really impressive car. And the car feels VERY light on it's feet- unlike the Vette, Viper or SRT8. The styling isn't great I would agree. I do think they look great from behind, but the other views are just ok (the opposite of a 6.1L Charger SRT8).
1969 Roadrunner in Red Gone, but not forgotten! <beep, beep>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM

My Charger: 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Twin clutch transmissions could very well be a passing trend. If you look at what cars they are trying to put these in on a mass scale they aren't being appreciated at all (Ford Focus, Dodge Dart, various VW's), which is sad, but then again - what makes the TC good are really only 2 reasons. #1 lightning quick shifts and #2 efficiency over a hydraulic factory, torque converter using automatic. (old automatics, and simply old thinking)

The ZF 8-speed in particular shifts just as fast as a TC and is just as efficient, so is the coming 9-speed from them for the Chrysler FWD cars. Good review on the ZF 8-speed (in the 135i) here from one of the very rare noteworthy reviewers today http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2xwecTp91-o

I've driven TC cars at length, and while I thought it was cool to go through the gears and feel the clutches engage / disengage in normal driving, while also feeling the rear calipers electronically clamp to hold the car at stop lights + hill hold assist to launch away from a hill-stop, the normal driver certainly does not! Just go read any review.

GM has their own 8-speed auto they are working on and I am certain thats all you'll see in the vette in lieu of their 7-speed manual.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaesar View Post
Right now the S8 is faster and has AWD over the S63. Of course it also is nose heavy since Audis are converted FWD platforms.

For sports cars, I have a feeling the next Gen Vette will be another performance value
I believe none of the Audis are FWD based anymore except maybe the A3.

The issue now is the AWD adding front end weight.

Totally agree on the new C7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
Twin clutch transmissions could very well be a passing trend. If you look at what cars they are trying to put these in on a mass scale they aren't being appreciated at all (Ford Focus, Dodge Dart, various VW's), which is sad, but then again - what makes the TC good are really only 2 reasons. #1 lightning quick shifts and #2 efficiency over a hydraulic factory, torque converter using automatic. (old automatics, and simply old thinking)

The ZF 8-speed in particular shifts just as fast as a TC and is just as efficient, so is the coming 9-speed from them for the Chrysler FWD cars. Good review on the ZF 8-speed (in the 135i) here from one of the very rare noteworthy reviewers today http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2xwecTp91-o

I've driven TC cars at length, and while I thought it was cool to go through the gears and feel the clutches engage / disengage in normal driving, while also feeling the rear calipers electronically clamp to hold the car at stop lights + hill hold assist to launch away from a hill-stop, the normal driver certainly does not! Just go read any review.

GM has their own 8-speed auto they are working on and I am certain thats all you'll see in the vette in lieu of their 7-speed manual.
Agree on some points except the DCT is here to stay.

No sports car will go with an automatic only and autos cannot handle more than 8000rpm due to fluid physics anyway. It is unsuitable for the road circuit too.

Also, as AWD seems to be trending (E63) and with exotics with hybrid tech. (P1 & F150) and the insane gear ratios and power require a DCT.

Domestic sub-compact buyers are not keen on DCTs but VW has seen success and the automatic mode works well.

I'll be curious how the weight and complexity of a 9speed starts to compare to the DCT.

Silver SRT-8 413whp/432wtq 12.71 @ 111mph SOLD!
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
60 – 130mph Replaces the Quarter Mile, Lower Those Lifted Trucks!, The End of the Horsepower Race
all at
Examiner.com
Old 02-28-2013, 02:09 AM

SRT AWD 8 Speed -Chicago Show??

To all of this I read - I could of bought RS5 or AMG merc here in Europe, but chose to hunt down Charger SRT8 2012 from US. For me, most german cars are kind of plain. I have owned BMW and driven Audis, but still would go with 5-speed Charger SRT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-28-2013, 04:08 AM

My Charger: 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post

No sports car will go with an automatic only and autos cannot handle more than 8000rpm due to fluid physics anyway. It is unsuitable for the road circuit too.

Also, as AWD seems to be trending (E63) and with exotics with hybrid tech. (P1 & F150) and the insane gear ratios and power require a DCT.

Domestic sub-compact buyers are not keen on DCTs but VW has seen success and the automatic mode works well.

I'll be curious how the weight and complexity of a 9speed starts to compare to the DCT.
On the high end they will likely stick around but I bet in a year or 2 it'll be nothing more than a distant memory in the Dodge Dart and possibly US bound Focus's.

About Audi they are all FWD based cars, the engine sits in a north-south arrangement (like the FWD Chrysler LH cars) but they are still FWD. They add AWD with a RWD torque bias and call it a day. All their platforms are derived from simple FWD VW's.

VW is a cash cow king right now because of this, platform R&D is what costs hundreds of millions and they use their VW platforms across the board right to Porsche in some cases (Toureg > Q7 > Cayenne, VW Bug > Audi TT etc etc.

Chrysler is going the same direction (hence the recent delay for new models) because the new platforms will start out at Maserati and Alfa Romeo and end up back at Dodge/Chrysler.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
To all of this I read - I could of bought RS5 or AMG merc here in Europe, but chose to hunt down Charger SRT8 2012 from US. For me, most german cars are kind of plain. I have owned BMW and driven Audis, but still would go with 5-speed Charger SRT.
yea, the charger is a big girl over here (in germany too). i definately get a lot of looks/glances when i pass by - especially if i make her "purr" and not the bad kind (of looks) lol
Old 03-04-2013, 04:41 PM

I really wish my RT had a sixth gear overdrive because my gas mileage is sooo bad. Butter than my sisters truck tough. Lol

Maybe the youngest on the forums? 15 years old when I got my charger...
2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
Daytona Grill...R/T Grill Emblem...Rear Spoiler...Danko Chin Spoiler...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike398100 View Post
I really wish my RT had a sixth gear overdrive because my gas mileage is sooo bad. Butter than my sisters truck tough. Lol
Wouldn't matter if 5th and 8th are the same ratio. If the engine or drivability cannot sustain a higher ratio, then the final ratio will remain unchanged.

The 8speeds and upcoming 9speeds are stepped with multiple ODs but the top gear isn't going to change in ratio unless something else changes.

Silver SRT-8 413whp/432wtq 12.71 @ 111mph SOLD!
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
60 – 130mph Replaces the Quarter Mile, Lower Those Lifted Trucks!, The End of the Horsepower Race
all at
Examiner.com
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
The Vette will be held back by the transmission choices. No twin clutch is really going to hurt them as more and more competitors are using them. Unless they do a fairly major running change, the Vette wont have a twin-clutch until 2020+. They said that they cannot fit a twin clutch in the current C7 due to size. I do love the styling of the new Vette (they seriously ripped of the Ferrari 599 styling). The rear end I am not sure about, but I don't hate it like many of the "old school" Vette guys do.

And have you driven a GT-R? I used to think I wouldn't like it, but it is very impressive to drive. 0-60 in 2.7 is no joke speed. I wouldn't buy one, but they are a really, really impressive car. And the car feels VERY light on it's feet- unlike the Vette, Viper or SRT8. The styling isn't great I would agree. I do think they look great from behind, but the other views are just ok (the opposite of a 6.1L Charger SRT8).
It is ugly, not just ok in my book.

It looks too much like a fast and furious car rather than a high priced GT

Heck, even the old Supra was more attractive than this

From a standstill a Vette will never touch it - AWD vs. RWD

But on a roll a ZR1 will pull away (stock to stock)

As for the new Vette, it looked great until I saw the Camaro tailights on it!

So, Caddy can get 6.1 hemi power out of a 3.6L V6 - What could we get out of a twin-turbo 5.7L hemi?

That is the stuff SRT should be doing
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuuuce View Post

They all are FWD based

Look at the weight distribution

So, Caddy can get 6.1 hemi power out of a 3.6L V6 - What could we get out of a twin-turbo 5.7L hemi?

That is the stuff SRT should be doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.