Next Gen Charger - Page 8 - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#71 Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 PM
MCaesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
I've heard the same thing about the Daimler licensing thing, also heard they charged them $250 for each one..which to put it lightly is insane. The ZF 8-speed costs them much less than that.

But what I don't buy from it is that Daimler had a gun to their head saying they had to buy so many of them a year. Yeah right, you are forced to use this transmission that will cause all your V6's to perform poorly and get poor fuel economy and rank the lowest on a competitive scale. I'd walk up to Dr Z and rip that contact up right in front of his face and laugh at him while doing so.

I was kinda kidding about the 8-speed "maybe" showing up behind the 5.7L for 2017, but there ARE some real issues holding back its production right now. AFAIK Chrysler only builds the one for the V6's (their version of the HP45) the HP70 that gets used behind the V8's and diesels is built by ZF in NC and thats the one thats in short supply.

For all we know the TFT screens are in short supply too, because the HP70 and the TFT were to be used in the 2014 SRT8's and now NEITHER will be, but they'll be in the Ram and Grand Cherokee..their bread and butter vehicles. Actually this I am not sure of, the TFTs could very well still be in the 2014's..
I am starting to believe that the real issue is the 8 speed just didn't provide the performance and MPG gains as expected.

Only a broke company would take this long

2006 SRT8 228,000 miles+ (ordered with F1s and options)

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#72 Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM
rattler

Y'all are just haters (jealous)

Current: Pitch Black 2012
Retired: 2010 SXT
Retired: 2006 Inferno Red RT

#73 Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
ttonyy

I've owned both gens and absolutely love the 2011+ models better.
although my opinion could be skewed because my 07 was a 3.5l v6, and my '12 is the Hemi.

2012 RT
previous: 2007 SXT
#74 Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM
blackRTnTN

Automobile magazine just did their wrap-up of their long-term Charger SXT in the April issue and the 8 speed transmission wasn't exactly their favorite feature of the car. The biggest beef they had was it seemed geared too tall and was programmed to go for the highest gear possible. Obviously, that is for EPA numbers. They also remarked that the ZF unit in Audis and BMWs performed much better. As for the shifter, they didn't like it very much either. I remember when I test drove a V6 model last summer, I found the E-shifter tricky to use. Yeah, it's cool that it's all "by wire" once you get used to it, but there is something about being able to easily shift the old 5 speed in and out of park without looking at it(or the EVIC) or thinking about what button you have to push and how to pull it.

As for the cost of the NAG1, I too had read this is costing Chrysler serious cash as it is a holdout from the Daimler era. My guess is they really didn't have anything else to take it's place at the time so they really had no choice but to go with it. We'll see once the 8 speed sees use across the line-up, but right now I'm glad they stuck with the NAG1. Heck, they are putting it in the Jeep Wragler now so it must be a pretty robust unit!

2012 Charger R/T Max. Black on Black.
#75 Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 AM
MCaesar

just because the 8 speed may not be sorted out well does NOT mean the 5 speed is a good, modern transmission
#76 Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Mcharger

This thread shows all the more reason to have 2 separate Charger sections. One for the first gen. and one for the newer second gen. They do it on just about every other car forum except this one. My guess is the powers that be are a little stubborn or thick headed.

2012 Charger R/T - Silver/Black
#77 Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Hriv

Re: Next Gen Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcharger View Post
This thread shows all the more reason to have 2 separate Charger sections. One for the first gen. and one for the newer second gen. They do it on just about every other car forum except this one. My guess is the powers that be are a little stubborn or thick headed.
Huh? There are separate sections already.

Sent from my "HD" Pantech Breakout using the free version of AutoGuide

Current: Blaze Red 2008 Charger R/T
Previous: Steel Blue 2008 Charger SE. Traded in and missed.

U.S. Army 15F Aircraft Electrician
South Korea: '07-'08. Iraq: '08-'09. Afghanistan: '10-'11 and '13-'14. And No More To Come

#78 Old 02-26-2013, 05:55 PM
TurboAWD
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcharger View Post
They added them, but way after the fact and now nobody cares. The other reason is because this forum isn't owned and run by an enthusiast, its owned by a company that is only interested in selling ads.

I think it was started by an actual Charger enthusiast, but they sold it years ago to Vertical scope.
#79 Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM
TeeJizzle

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
They added them, but way after the fact and now nobody cares. The other reason is because this forum isn't owned and run by an enthusiast, its owned by a company that is only interested in selling ads.

I think it was started by an actual Charger enthusiast, but they sold it years ago to Vertical scope.
Yeah It was started by Ekool and others...one thing I can say is there are less politics by it not being run by an enthusiast now, but just about everything else sucks....the only thing keeping it good is that some of the old folks are still around

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List