Winter MPG on 2006-up 5 spd 5.7 Chargers? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Winter MPG on 2006-up 5 spd 5.7 Chargers?

Okay, looking to compare MPG notes with other 2006 & up 5 spd 5.7 ltr Dodge Charger owners. I have noticed a significant change in MPG since the gas changeover from summer to winter gas and since the weather change in October. So I wanted to find out what other owners are getting.

Year: 2006
Fuel being used: 87 octane
Current Mileage: 57,000
Type Of Tires being used: Winterforce Snow
Current Driving Pattern: city 30% hwy 70%
Current MPG average "actual" (not computer computed): 14.0 MPG

Last edited by Cruel Intentions; 02-28-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
Usually get 20mpg

The winterForce tires, same as mine, are killing your mileage.

I'm getting 15.

It is more the tires than the gas, but the gas has an effect too.
I've switched over the tires and noticed an immediate improvement with the same tank of fuel.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM

My Charger: 2006 R/T Black
I use 93 octane and I get a solid 18.5mpgs with the stock goodyear tires on it. 26k on the clock.

Just put in an octane boost with my last full tank of 93. I would never put 87 in my tank. Honestly I would never put in lower than 91. It comes out to be a $2-$4 difference between a full tank of 87 compared to a full tank of 93.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Debadged/Demolded. Tinted Tail Lights/Corner Markers. DiabloSport Predator 93 Oct CAI tuned. Ram-Air CAI. AACStyle Amber Colored CCFL Oracle Halos. Daytona Grille with R/T badge. Hurst Shifter. BT Oil Catch Can. BT Hood+Trunk Badge. Blastin Bobs 5db Resonator Delete Mandrel Bent w/SSR Tips.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparRT View Post
I use 93 octane and I get a solid 18.5mpgs with the stock goodyear tires on it. 26k on the clock.

Just put in an octane boost with my last full tank of 93. I would never put 87 in my tank. Honestly I would never put in lower than 91. It comes out to be a $2-$4 difference between a full tank of 87 compared to a full tank of 93.

Without a tune you are not doing any good using anything above 89. (It will actually give you less power and MPG using a higher octane than needed)

As far as the octane boost, what are you hoping that will do?

Very few of them raise the octane more than a few points. A point is .1 octane, so using a booster that raises the octane 5 points may take you fuel from 91 to 91.5 They put some harmful stuff in most of those, too.

I was running 87 with a tune for 87, in my area the price differential has been more like $8/tank between 87 and 93. Finding 91 around here is rare. 87, 89 and 93 predominantly are what's available.

Switched over to my 93 tune today.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Re: Winter MPG on 2006-up 5 spd 5.7 Chargers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Without a tune you are not doing any good using anything above 89. (It will actually give you less power and MPG using a higher octane than needed)

As far as the octane boost, what are you hoping that will do?

Very few of them raise the octane more than a few points. A point is .1 octane, so using a booster that raises the octane 5 points may take you fuel from 91 to 91.5 They put some harmful stuff in most of those, too.

I was running 87 with a tune for 87, in my area the price differential has been more like $8/tank between 87 and 93. Finding 91 around here is rare. 87, 89 and 93 predominantly are what's available.

Switched over to my 93 tune today.
The manual right in your glove compartment suggests no lower than 89 octane fuel. That being factual, in my life I've been taught "high performance" vehicles call for high performance care. Which is why we run Synthetic Oils, or some members of the forum run the ACES fuel addatives.
It's just common practice for me, my family has owned powerful V8's forever. If the fuel is finer (thinner?) then naturally the gas will be of better quality and won't gunk up injectors and will burn cleaner providing better throttle response and more power. 93 with an octane boost is to clear the system because there isn't a higher octane available than 93, except close to racetracks.
It's more important WHERE you get your fuel rather than WHAT fuel you get. ExxonMobil and Shell are the best places. So my answer why run 93... For overall performance and health of my car, so it lasts longer.

That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, I'm alright with what I'm doing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The manual right in your glove compartment suggests no lower than 89 octane fuel. That being factual, in my life I've been taught "high performance" vehicles call for high performance care. Which is why we run Synthetic Oils, or some members of the forum run the ACES fuel addatives.
It's just common practice for me, my family has owned powerful V8's forever. If the fuel is finer (thinner?) then naturally the gas will be of better quality and won't gunk up injectors and will burn cleaner providing better throttle response and more power. 93 with an octane boost is to clear the system because there isn't a higher octane available than 93, except close to racetracks.
It's more important WHERE you get your fuel rather than WHAT fuel you get. ExxonMobil and Shell are the best places. So my answer why run 93... For overall performance and health of my car, so it lasts longer.

That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, I'm alright with what I'm doing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Read your manual again. It says 87 is acceptable, 89 preferred.

The following is my opinion, based on experience:

Synthetic oil is no better than dino oil, this, based on years of having used oil analysis done with all kinds of oils. Walmart conventional "Supertech" is the cheapest oil you can buy, and performs remarkably well past 6k miles in my car. I generally use a full synthetic, for about 8k+

Fuel additives: The manual states not to use fuel additives. Many high performance publications, (That aren't benefiting from the makers of such product i.e. sponsorship/advertisement/partnerships) that additives are a waste of money and generally do more harm than good. No comment on the ACES other than I've tried it myself... I no longer use it.

Octane has ZERO relationship to cleaning ability. It is a measure of the resistance to detonate/knock. The higher the compression ratio, the higher octane you need. If you advance spark timing, you effectively increase compression ratio (not mechanically), and require a higher octane. (No need for high octane in our cars without a tune)
Higher octane fuel burns slower, which is basically how it resists detonating... without the higher compression, it may not fully burn, so you actually get less MPG and less power running too high of an octane fuel....

You live in NY, just like I do. NY years ago mandated all grades of fuel carry detergents. Used to be you only got that with premium, which is why all the "oldtimers" think you NEED premium, when they may not.

2006 LX/Charger manual, page 241:

"The 3.5L and 5.7L engines are designed to
meet all emissions regulations and provide
satisfactory fuel economy and performance
when using high-quality unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating of 87 to 89.
The manufacturer recommends the use of
89-octane for optimum performance. The routine use of
premium gasoline is not recommended. The use of
premium gasoline will provide no benefit over highquality
regular gasoline or mid-grade gasoline and in
some circumstances may result in poorer performance.
"
Old 02-26-2013, 11:09 PM

My Charger: TorRed 2007 RT
I have noticed a drop in my mpg with winter fuels
Year: 2007 5.7
Fuel being used: 89 octane
Current Mileage: 55,000
Type Of Tires being used: Michelin MXV4
Current Driving Pattern: Town driving 100% (not city not highway)
Current MPG average on EVIC: 13.7 MPG

I like to use Autostick at times and enjoy my rides, so I guess you can call it a bit of spirited driving.
Strut Bar V 2.1
"Being a good fiend is like being a photographer, you have to search for the right moment!"
Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 AM

Winter fuel mileage drop would more likely be related to the blending in of ethanol. In my 3.6 I have also seen a difference on the same tank of gas, no mods, or fancy stuff, with decreased temperature. Happens also with mods and fancy stuff, so I think it has something to do with the fuel trim and a big temp swing.
Interior: OEM Rearview Camera
JBL GTO3EZ/504 Amps /PAC Audio C2A-CHY5 HU Adapter/MiniDSP 2x4 Sound Processors
Infinity Reference 3032 Dash 3.5"
Infinity Reference 9632 Door/Rear Deck 6x9"
Infinity Reference 1062W 10" sealed sub
Old 02-27-2013, 01:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot Infinity
Quote:

What manual are you reading? The 5.7L hemi was optimized for 87-89, or it wouldn't say it in the manual.

2008 Dodge Charger R/T w/R&T
Instagram: @patriotinfinity for pictures of my Charger
Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM

Honestly I switch between 91 or 93 depending on if the station I'm at carries 93 (Shell does). But the reason for that is Regular: 87[$3.99], Premium: 89[$4.19], Super: 91[$4.39], Shell V-Power: 93[$4.41] Prices are pretty close and it will save me from having to use high octane later mileage wise.

When I used 87 in my last Hemi, it dealt with it okay, but it felt resistent a lot of the time. I can literally 'feel' the difference between Regular and Super. Explain how I lose power by using a fuel that I've experienced more power using, please.

Also, with my last hemi I saw no change in MPGs using 93 compared to 87 or 89. That was a comparison Stock and with my Tuner on "Tow/Hall, Performance 91, 87 and Mileage XS" using different types of gas from mom+pop stations, to Stewarts, to Shell, to Sunoco, to Xtra Mart. And my conclusion was... 91-93 octane from Mobil(i.e. Xtra Mart) and from Shell gave me the most responsive throttle, the most power and no difference in gas mileage. So, I will not be swayed to use a lower grade of fuel. It works for me and I don't have a problem being alienated for it. You use what you use, I'll use what I use fellas.

Last edited by MoparRT; 02-27-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.