Noise coming from the front end. - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

#1 Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Razorx

(Thread Starter)
Noise coming from the front end.

I know it could be a thousand things but thought I'd give it a try. When I accelerate and brake normally I hear a slight clunk on the passenger side wheel. Any thoughts? I know I'm getting it fixed but just want to make sure it's not something that could mess my car up more if I drive it. Also anything I need to look for? I checked it out and everything looks pretty normal, no bare metal or missing rubber grommets.

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona #1964
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 AM
MotoAce51

It seems like a useless check but check the lugs. I had a car broken into, and later that day when I was on campus I had a issue where something felt like a clunk. Then again. And again. I checked the lugs and they were loose. Its likely not the issue, but it takes 2 sec to check.

2006 Charger R/T
- Carbon Fiber LMI Hammer Intake - Boss 22's - Blastin' Bobs 7db Reso Delete - Tranzformer Shift Kit - K&N CAI - DiabloSport - inTune CAI Tune - BT Catch Can - Tinted Marker's - 10000K HID - Halo & LED Headlights - CF Vinyl Dash & Door Pillar Overlay
#3 Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Razorx

(Thread Starter)
Re: Noise coming from the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoAce51 View Post
It seems like a useless check but check the lugs. I had a car broken into, and later that day when I was on campus I had a issue where something felt like a clunk. Then again. And again. I checked the lugs and they were loose. Its likely not the issue, but it takes 2 sec to check.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into it
#4 Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
MotoAce51

Anything else it should be fine. I wanted to mention the lugs because that could be a catastrophe.
#5 Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM
sector 2

Hey Buddy,
I feel for you, but take it from a guy who spent 18 months chasing the clunks. If you have a 2006...you may as well replace all of the following...
-upper and lower control arms
-tension struts...these guys are the main culprits in the clunk/rattle
-ball joints
-sway bar endlinks
-sway bar mount bushings

I would bet it is the bushing that is worn out in your tension strut, or a ball joint.

I got tired of "chasing the clunks" Buy Moog fittings from Amazon or Rock Auto. You may as well do it now, one time or it will drive you nuts. I changed all the aforementioned components in my driveway in about 8 hours. Car handles like new again. Good luck....and let us know.

Andy

2013 Charger R/T: (Super Track Pack, Forged Aluminum Wheels) DS catch can / Mopar CAI / SLP Loud Mouth II /powder coated calipers & R1 brake package {slotted rotors - Stop Tech pads - SS lines} ACES IV & QB oils....
Gone and missed...2007 RT

Marine Corps Combat Vet Plates...Live Free Or Die!!
#6 Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Razorx

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector 2 View Post
Hey Buddy,
I feel for you, but take it from a guy who spent 18 months chasing the clunks. If you have a 2006...you may as well replace all of the following...
-ball joints
-sway bar endlinks
-sway bar mount bushings

I would bet it is the bushing that is worn out in your tension strut, or a ball joint.

I got tired of "chasing the clunks" Buy Moog fittings from Amazon or Rock Auto. You may as well do it now, one time or it will drive you nuts. I changed all the aforementioned components in my driveway in about 8 hours. Car handles like new again. Good luck....and let us know.

Andy
Well that's my next step, warranty is up at 100K so I'm taking my car to get looked at before it expires. Gonna have my mechanic look at everything since my deductible is only $300. So thanks for wishing me luck, we'll see how it goes.
#7 Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM
MzJandiace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sector 2 View Post
Hey Buddy,
-ball joints
-sway bar endlinks
-sway bar mount bushings

Andy
Hey Andy! I have the 06 RT that I am ready to drive off a cliff, cause of this clunk! I have changed the sway bar end links, tension strut, and strut and mount! I am headed in for the bushings and ball joints next week. I put the on the sway bar links and she was purring like a kitten for 2 days, then as soon as the mechanic calls me, she started making noise! I was outdone! But here's to two more new parts!
#8 Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 AM
POTTER

I just replaced the upper ball joints and outer tie rods (in addition to tension struts and strut mounts, and end links...also, new steering rack as well) no more clunks! Coirse, now I am getting a creaking in the steering it is back on the shop for...good luck!

- Sent from a phone booth in 1985 -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Name is Chris
2006 SRT8 *** Options I, II, III *** AEF CAI *** Zoomers *** Various Custom touches *** Plasti Dipped Body and Wheels *** Attitude from MOPAR
#9 Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Razorx

(Thread Starter)

Well after having replaced the engine mounts, transmission mounts, both tension struts, torsion arms, and greased sway bar bearings. I still have the clunk after driving the car for a while. Only when I stop and go. Was gonna try to replace the struts. What else am I missing?

Also anyone know if I take my car to a shop and I tell them that I have the clunk and they repair $2500 dollars worth of stuff and I paid them the deductible from my warranty company and the clunk is still there. They told me if it was more things to replace I had to pay another $300 dollars, is that right? Or is there like a grace period?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#10 Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Have you done this yet?

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ront+end+clunk

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List