Changing shifter from dash to floor - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Changing shifter from dash to floor

I have a 2006 5.7 Hemi Police Interceptor. It came with the shifter that's mounted in the dash (column shift?). What do I need to convert it to a floor shift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM

My Charger: 2009 TORRED RT w/ R&T
A ton of ****... Just leave it alone and buy go fast goodies. IMHO. Also I don't know if the chargers are like the old crown Vic's, but they had calibrated trans and you could back up and throw it in drive or opposite. They were calibrated so cops could make abrupt maneuvers.

Name is brad
All GO FAST and NO SHOW
"If one day speed kills me, do not cry because I died smiling"

Last edited by WTFO09R/T; 01-24-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Shifter Swap

First of all, why in blazes are Chevy ads injected between posts in a DODGE forum????

The dash shifter is obtrusive and obnoxious, and just plain ugly. At least for me, it's actually easier to control any manual shifting with a floor shifter than via a column/dash unit.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 AM

You could find a wrecked car and get the shifter and parts out you need, that's about the only way I could see doing it.

Name is brad
All GO FAST and NO SHOW
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 PM

My Charger: 2010 R/T with road and track group package
Man If I were to buy a police Interceptor I would bring it back to all as it was intended to be, an interceptor. of cause the special lights and sirens would be illegal but to have fun on the highway and people thinking you were the law an slow down would be a good thing.
Back in my day I owned a 1988 Plymouth Gran Fury that was a highway patrol vehicle with the side search light and the two mounted brake lights that were mounted on the rear inside deck. I use to work in the worst neighborhoods in NYC and know body would mess with that car. If I was working in Manhattan traffic would always open up for me when they saw me coming up from behind. Like I said let them think what they wanted as long as I kept it with in the law..

Big John
2010 Dodge Charger R/T with Road and Track group package,tinted all around. Black Crystal Pearl coat paint. 1966 Pontiac GTO tripower 4spd, 390posi. GTO made the cover of High Performance Pontiac Magazine Dec/92

Last edited by R/T MUSCLE; 01-26-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM

That's a good idea... Have a bad ass cop car that will go!!!!

Name is brad
All GO FAST and NO SHOW
Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 AM

I was going to do the same with mine too but opted for the dash shifter, it keeps it "special" and truly the only thing left on my car that's noticeable that it was a cop car. I turned that empty space into an Ipod dock with some ingenuity, and a cheep part from Ebay. Cost me about 10 bucks...notice the line in jack on the factory stereo above in the pic.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 AM

If you have driven a Charger with a column shifter, you would not question why he wants a floor shifter.The column shifters suck. Good luck finding a replacement
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM

i'd have to agree, they do seriously Suck.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/T MUSCLE View Post
Man If I were to buy a police Interceptor I would bring it back to all as it was intended to be, an interceptor. of cause the special lights and sirens would be illegal but to have fun on the highway and people thinking you were the law an slow down would be a good thing.
Back in my day I owned a 1988 Plymouth Gran Fury that was a highway patrol vehicle with the side search light and the two mounted brake lights that were mounted on the rear inside deck. I use to work in the worst neighborhoods in NYC and know body would mess with that car. If I was working in Manhattan traffic would always open up for me when they saw me coming up from behind. Like I said let them think what they wanted as long as I kept it with in the law..

Big John
Yeah!
I do this every day driving through traffic my 2008 Charger Police.
I like all things in my Police baby(include dashboard shifter)!
I installed trunk digital antenna 2".It help me,not so much cars passing my Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.