2011 Dodge Charger R/T blue smoke -opinions please (long post) - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM

2011 Dodge Charger R/T blue smoke -opinions please (long post)

I have a 2011 Charger R/T Road & Track package, with 34k miles, and the honeymoon is officially over. About 2000 miles ago it began to periodically belch out puffs of blue smoke (sometimes more like CLOUDS).

I took it to the dealer and they pulled and inspected the plugs, and gave it a clean bill of health. I took it back again a week later with the same issue, and was told it was because I was running it on synthetic oil. I asked the service coordinator to provide anything in the product literature that prohibits the use of synthetic oil in the 5.7 Hemi, but he was unable to do so. He claimed one of his veteran mechanics said that synthetic oil clings to the cylinder walls. When I pointed out that their service center were the ones to switch the vehicle to synthetic (at my request), and why would they allow me to potentially harm the engine, he claimed I wasn't hurting anything, but it was causing the car to smoke.

I asked for an oil change to a synthetic blend (which he said would be OK). They also put me on an "oil consumption test" requiring me to bing it in every 500 miles (a P.I.T.A.).

Well, it's still smoking, and oil usage is minimal. The smoking always occurs when the car has been running on 4 cylinders for a while (MDS active), typically at highway speeds, and when all 8 cylinders engage POOF, a cloud of blue smoke belches out of the exhaust. It almost sounds like oil is making its way past the rings on the inactive cylinders. When you override MDS by using autostick, it never smokes.

They are trying to tell me this is normal, and there is nothing wrong with the car. I also have 4 warped rotors, and had had 2 sets of door handles replaced (keyless entry system), 1 oil sensor went bad, the adaptive cruise control sensor went, and I've had 2 wiring issues (trunk and glove compartment lighting). I love the looks of the car, but I am ready to roll thins thing off a cliff.

I can add some aftermarket rotors, and the dealership has taken care of the other stuff, but I have had enough of the smoke clouds. Has anyone ever heard of his before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM

My Charger: 2013 SRT8 crystal granite Charger
That is definitely NOT normal, I would contact Chrysler corporate right away. I have been running synthetic oil ever since my first oil change...a year ago.

2013 Charger SRT8 HellBoy red interior, Black SRT8 Jeep rep rims, Billet catch can, Mopar CAI (purchased 7/25/14)
2011 Charger R/T plus, HellBoy red interior (purchased 8/2/11) Gone but not forgotten
2013 Dart Rallye, (purchased 12/19/12)
RETIRED...2006 Charger R/T, 22" Maas rims, L.E.D tinted color matched tails,20% tint, K&N CAI ,modern muscle billet catch can, diablo 93 octane CAI tune, Flowmaster 44/4" tips, matte black spoiler,blacked out trunk,matte grill,mopar chin,HEMI tattoos.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM

how soon did you switch over to synthetic? if you switched over too soon, you may not have allowed the rings to seat into the cylinders fully, getting a little oil in the cylinders
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Go back to regular oil and change every 3k miles and add a catch can then switch back to syn. oil at 10k miles..
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM

Generally you get this when it is off and first starting it up. Does it do that or just when it comes off of the MDS?
It is also generally caused by the valve guides (seals) and not the rings. It is also generally on one that is just started, so I don't know..

Oil will leak past worn seals/guides and when you start it it smokes for a second.. Yours should definitely not be doing that for another 120k miles though..

I'd be calling corporate on it right quick like..

Griz
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, the car *never* smokes when starting up, or when running on all 8 cylinders. It only belches out a smoke cloud when the car has been in MDS (ECO) for a few minutes, and then disengages MDS, and switches to all 8 cylinders (either from acceleration or climbing a hill).

I have noticed a 2-3 MPG loss of fuel economy as well. The dealer said they looked at the PCV line and said it was dry (no oil), so I hadn't considered installing a catch can.

If I recall correctly, I switched to synthetic around 12K miles ago. I have almost exclusively highway miles on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.