Painted Brake Calipers ~ help - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

#1 Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Mikedezzy!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Painted Brake Calipers ~ help

Hey guys,

I have just bought me a 2013 Charger SXT with the apperance package on it.

LET THE MODDING BEGIN.

First, I want to do a cheap fast mod and paint my calipers. I searched around th forums trying to find a Do IT yourself sticky but no lucky.

I want to paint it RED. I will use a high heat engine enamel or actual caliper paint. I am just wondering what all does it involved in painting the calipers?

Do you remove everything and spray or mask it of?
A link on how to take it all down would be a great help

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
ttruckinon

I just masked and sprayed with caliper paint. Be sure to paint the "top hat" also.

This is the best pic I have of mine:

Mods:Arrington Heads, Cam, Stainless Works Headers, High Flow Cats, Underdrive Pully, Daytona Wing and Grill, Rider Grafix, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Predetor, Cross Drilled Rotors
Darrell
"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull
fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely
games." Ernest Hemingway
07 R/T, The Lady In Red
#3 Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just used cheap throw away brushes. IMO, it's good enough

High temp engine paint is what I used, G2, has premixed colors. For me, their purple is more Fuscia then purple.

Did you know that - Thread
How do I everything - Thread

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat the outcome is never good for the cat.
#4 Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
CHARGER-08(RT)

There are many different brands of high heat/caliper paint out there with a wide variety of colors. I used the G2. It's the most expensive and it's a paint on type with a brush. If you know what you are doing, taking the calipers off is probably best. I however do not so I taped everything off. Just make sure EVERYTHING is covered well and take your time. GL bro !!

2008 Dark Titanium Metallic RT
KW V2 Coilovers - 20" Daytona chrome clads - Daytona seats - 6000K HID's (lows/fogs) - Predator w/ 91 CAI tune - AirAid CAI - G2 painted calipers -
Stack Performance catch can - Stack Performance Chubby Pro adjustable sway bars -TruFiber SRT style hood - hood struts - demolded -
LED's (interrior/trunk/license plate) - Danko '69 Style grill w/ honeycomb inserts - Edelbrock 12" tips - Flowmaster Super 10's w/ reso delete - rear strut brace
#5 Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Stumblin Steve
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Stumblin Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedezzy! View Post
Hey guys,

I have just bought me a 2013 Charger SXT with the apperance package on it.

LET THE MODDING BEGIN.

First, I want to do a cheap fast mod and paint my calipers. I searched around th forums trying to find a Do IT yourself sticky but no lucky.

I want to paint it RED. I will use a high heat engine enamel or actual caliper paint. I am just wondering what all does it involved in painting the calipers?

Do you remove everything and spray or mask it of?
A link on how to take it all down would be a great help

Any help would be appreciated.
Didn't look hard enough I see
How Do I Do Everything?

Three links to threads showing you how to paint your calipers and what products they used

To make it easier to find in the thread just click "Ctrl+F" and search the page for "calipers" it'll pop right up.

Just your friendly neighborhood...Charger
'08 SXT Bright Silver. Dark slate interior. OEM MOPAR pedals/hood struts/CAI/Chin Spoiler. R/T true dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow tips. SRT8 rear diffuser. Predator 93 Tune. Lots of B.T. Stuff!
Comprehensive V6 Performance Thread
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
#6 Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Shots

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's really quite easy. I've done many many cars/trucks. I use Rustoleum with a brush. Jack the tire up you want to paint (or all 4 tires if you've got enough jack stands), take the tire(s) off. I use a wire brush to remove the heavy stuff, then scotchbrite to remove the looser stuff. Take a lint free rag with mineral spirits to clean the caliper and then make sure it's good and dry. Then just brush the paint on. Let dry add another coat or two, and you're done.
Here's photos of some of my projects raging from my Ram to my Steeda Mustang. Yes the correct Rustolem will hold up to the heat just fine, a 1 quart can cost about $10, and you can paint a LOT of calipers with 1 can. Total cost of supplies with paint, brushes, cleaning supplies, etc should come to less than $25.

My 2012 Charger -

My 2010 Charger -

My 2003 Dakota -

My 2005 Ram -

My 2007 Ram with Off-Road rims -

My 2007 Ram with stock 20" rims -

My 2007 Ram with PD on stock rims -

My 2005 Grand Am -

My 1997 Steeda (the calipers were originally red, I painted them yellow) -

All of these were done with Rustoleum. It took me a few hours on each and cost next to nothing to do. No need to remove the caliper from the car. You can either tape everything off or just keep a rag at hand to wipe off any areas that you didn't intend to get paint on. It wipes off easily, but once it's dry it's very hard/durable. It holds up to everything from high temp on performance brakes, to road salt and mud on the truck.

Shots: 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Mods: Rear window louvers / Rear spoiler / Black grille / chin spoiler / LED fog lights / Window tint 50/20 / Sunrise red calipers / Tinted tails
.........................buzzed driving, IS drunk driving
#7 Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Mikedezzy!

(Thread Starter)
Re: Painted Brake Calipers ~ help

Thanks shots..

You gave the confidence and info I needed. Looks like imma be in the shop for a while this weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#8 Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 AM
Shots

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No problem, glad to help. It really is an easy mod. It's dirt cheap and is one of the things that people seem to notice the most. Of all the stuff I've done to car/trucks this mod is the best bang for the buck. Could be because there's hardly any "buck" involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List