Replacement Key - Page 4 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM

My Charger: 2010 SXT
According to this thread you should read your owner's manual, supposedly you can reprogram it yourself; the tips outlined above seem to have worked for others as well.

I wonder if it will work for me...as I do not have a key, just a fob with a contoured tip that coincides with the aperture in my dash...there is a key inside it that I can use to manually unlock the driver's door (and ONLY that door it seems) but that's about it.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM

bad key

what type of problem could i be looking at if both my keys are broke but both of them still work manually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 06:35 AM

My Charger: 2010 SXT
What do you mean...the FOB is broken but the actual key is fine, or the key broke but the FOB itself still works?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM

fob broke on both........ i can still start the car with both....... but i cant unlock the doors and other stuff i should be able to do with the key........will that mess up the computer or the car
Old 12-19-2011, 12:38 PM

keyless entry doesn't work anymore

I've had my Charger since 2006 and in that time I must have dropped both of my keys too many times because the clamp that holds the battery down to the chip inside my keys doesn't connect. So now I have to manually insert the key into the door to unlock which wouldn't be that big of a problem except that some jackass tried to break into my car with a flat head about a year ago so now when I open my door the alarm goes off until I start the car (which can be embarrassing in grocery store parking lots with an audience of people who think I'm stealing my own car).

I found a blank key on ebay for $55. Do I need to get it cut at the dealership and can I reprogram the new key even though both my other keys don't unlock wirelessly? I would really rather avoid the dealership... Can anyone help?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Dealers are blood sucking scumbag leeches!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:24 AM

Keys will work to start the car even if the buttons don't work. I learned this after my first fob broke after a misunderstanding between me and replacing that stupid little battery. And the second one went swimming with me. So the unlock didn't work on either. Instead of buying two new keys, since the dealer could reprogram neither, for like $500, I spent $400 on a remote start that came with two new keys. This is for an '08 though. '07 and before has different keys and different systems.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2008 Brilliant Black SRT8
Option Group III
Corsa Xtreme
Predator
Lots of BT and BND

'I don't need to go fast, but I need to know I can go fast...'
Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 PM

OK So I have a 2007 charger and I'm down to ONE key. My mechanic used to work for a dealership and says he can program my key for a half hour cost of labor which is significantly cheaper than the dealership. However, everything I'm reading says I have to have 2 keys already in order to avoid the dealership.

They suggested I just buy a cheap blank one and have it cut and then take it to them for programming....Can anyone confirm that with just one key my mechanic could probably program the new key I order and have cut?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureheart1975 View Post
OK So I have a 2007 charger and I'm down to ONE key. My mechanic used to work for a dealership and says he can program my key for a half hour cost of labor which is significantly cheaper than the dealership. However, everything I'm reading says I have to have 2 keys already in order to avoid the dealership.

They suggested I just buy a cheap blank one and have it cut and then take it to them for programming....Can anyone confirm that with just one key my mechanic could probably program the new key I order and have cut?
I have a 2008 but I think the concept is the same, yes the dealer can do it with one key because they have a programming tool to interface with the car. We can do it ourselves but you need two programmed keys to program a blank one. Some shops won't cut these keys, i thought especially on the pre-08 keys. I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM

new charger keys

I just had two new keys made. I lost one before and my other key remote doesnt work and the screw to the battery is stripped. Each unprogrammed uncut key is 175. Programming is 60 total. Grand total from las vegas dealer is 445.87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.