blacktop 3.06 rear axle ratio on the HEMI - Page 4 - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#31 Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
mblock66

Also regarding the shifting, I assume the Diablos and other programmers as well at the Sport Mode 2 allow you to raise the shift points to a higher RPM then stock.

This should allow the user to tweak them just enough to shift right after the trap I would think. If that is possible like other cars I have had, then it can substancially improve times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Jonny
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblock66 View Post
I will have to take your word on the shifting at the trap. I have no first hand exp. however the rest of your post is what I am talking about. 0-60 and just normal getup and go will be faster. Highway passing, etc.

MPG at 80mph should be only 1-2 mpg loss. I personally normally drive between 70-75 so I don't think it will be a big deal at all. The AWD chargers are heavier and have 3.06 stock and they don't really even report much worse mileage overall. They get a little help from the 19's vs 20s but not much.
Quote:
Also regarding the shifting, I assume the Diablos and other programmers as well at the Sport Mode 2 allow you to raise the shift points to a higher RPM then stock.

This should allow the user to tweak them just enough to shift right after the trap I would think. If that is possible like other cars I have had, then it can substancially improve times.
Good luck!

Sounds like you have it all figured out. (despite what anyone else tried to tell you.)

I am the Stig

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
#33 Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
mblock66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Good luck!

Sounds like you have it all figured out. (despite what anyone else tried to tell you.)
No reason to be condescending. I am just trying to add to the conversation and give different viewpoints. I have lots of experience with muscle cars, tuning, etc and gears. No not on the charger but torque multiplication works the same way and there are so many factors that go into a 1/4 mile run that you can't really pull them apart. But real world driving is a difference experience.
#34 Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Jonny

Quote:
No reason to be condescending. I am just trying to add to the conversation and give different viewpoints. I have lots of experience with muscle cars, tuning, etc and gears. No not on the charger but torque multiplication works the same way and there are so many factors that go into a 1/4 mile run that you can't really pull them apart. But real world driving is a difference experience.
Not condescending... wishing you luck. I also have experience with muscle cars, and the exact change you are talking about. I explained what my experience with that change was... you choose to ignore what I said, that's fine.

Perhaps your experience will be different than what I experienced....
#35 Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
mblock66

Quote:
Not condescending... wishing you luck. I also have experience with muscle cars, and the exact change you are talking about. I explained what my experience with that change was... you choose to ignore what I said, that's fine.

Perhaps your experience will be different than what I experienced....
It wasn't ignored just questioned due to others with this difference, reporting significant "seat of the pants" difference and slightly better 1/4 times.

The OP was asking what the difference might be and from other evidence I have read on the 3.06 RWD chargers and my personal experience with gears (on camaros with auto trans) i have been commenting.

I meant no offense, its just talk man.
#36 Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Jonny

Quote:
It wasn't ignored just questioned due to others with this difference, reporting significant "seat of the pants" difference and slightly better 1/4 times.

The OP was asking what the difference might be and from other evidence I have read on the 3.06 RWD chargers and my personal experience with gears (on camaros with auto trans) i have been commenting.

No reason to be offended, its just talk man.
I'm not offended, by any means.

Curious, where did you get other reports that it is significantly better? Not from anyone in this thread, that I can see. Everyone but you said don't waste your money... one guy with the OEM/stock 3.06 said he got 18 mpg and 24 highway, that's about what I get. I used to get 23 city and 28 highway.... that's significantly worse with the 3.06 over the 2.65
#37 Old 01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
mblock66

Quote:
I'm not offended, by any means.

Curious, where did you get other reports that it is significantly better? Not from anyone in this thread, that I can see. Everyone but you said don't waste your money... one guy with the OEM/stock 3.06 said he got 18 mpg and 24 highway, that's about what I get. I used to get 23 city and 28 highway.... that's significantly worse with the 3.06 over the 2.65
Just searching all of the possible charger forums over the past week or two as I tried to decide on what car I wanted. So correct no one in this thread. I would agree that 5 mpg in the city is significant but I have seen guys put 4.10's in cars and not see that sort of decrease so not sure whats going on there.

I can try to dig up some of the other threads I found on the subject specific to this exact issue. I believe a few were on the chargerz forum. And the significant I was referring to was overall experience and improved acceleration not significant 1/4 times those were more like I stated 2-3 tenths (again from what I read)
#38 Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Jonny

Quote:
Just searching all of the possible charger forums over the past week or two as I tried to decide on what car I wanted. So correct no one in this thread. I would agree that 5 mpg in the city is significant but I have seen guys put 4.10's in cars and not see that sort of decrease so not sure whats going on there.

I can try to dig up some of the other threads I found on the subject specific to this exact issue. I believe a few were on the chargerz forum. And the significant I was referring to was overall experience and improved acceleration not significant 1/4 times those were more like I stated 2-3 tenths (again from what I read)

There's your problem, order of best performance info: lx, chargerforums, then the "z" dead last. Not to bash, but I think they still subscribe to TB spacers as legit, performance increasers (in modern cars)
#39 Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM
mblock66

Quote:
There's your problem, order of best performance info: lx, chargerforums, then the "z" dead last. Not to bash, but I think they still subscribe to TB spacers as legit, performance increasers (in modern cars)
Dude those give like 15 whp what are you talking about

Here is one quote from a guy on lx about the mileage: "When I swapped in the 3.06 for the 2.82, I dropped about 1 MPG on the hi-way, but mixed & town driving stayed about the same or perhaps improved a tad." This was for the 2.82 vs the 2.65 but should be about the same.

Another from 300cforums: "I'm quite sure just going up to the 3.06 will get you at least .3 in the 0 to 60mph and quarter"

there are a bunch of others that I have read too but I just don't feel like finding them right now lol
#40 Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Jonny

The guy with 2.82 had the previous gen Hemi, different animal.

I wish it did give me a few tenths, I'd be well into the twelves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List