OEM projectors...whats needed exactly - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

#11 Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 PM
sconnell80

Yeah I like OEM also. The nice thing about these OEM repro's is that they dont have any logo's or any aftermarket on them. They are even DOT labeled on the front just like OEM. Why are you getting the wire harness from The Retro Source? As far as I could see that was for mopar vehicles that the low beam turns off when you turn on high beams. That doesn't happen in the chargers. When you turn your high beams on the lows are on also. Your 08 still has to be wired up for the new housing. You have a low beam and high beam harness, and the new housings only have one input. You will need to order the parts in the post I listed in order to have it plug n play. You will need the canbus eliminatiors though or you will have problems. It is actually an easy job to do the switch, just take your time. If you have any questions when you do it, just hit me up. Also what do you mean you don't have the car anymore?

2006 Charger SRT8 Brilliant Black, Options I, II, III with Sunroof. AIR HAMMER CAI, DiabloSport Predator Perf 93 CAI Custom Tune, 170* Tstat, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, Custom Reso Delete w/4" SS Rolled Tips, Mygig RER Navi with Lockpick and Backup Camera, OEM Projector Headlights w/HID 5000K Low, High and Fog Kit, Full Interior Led Mod, 5% Rear Window-15% Front Window Tint, Tinted Tails and Front Turn Signals, Double Tail Light Bulb Mod, Front Turn Signal Mod, LED Reverse Lights, BT Satin Oil Catch Can, Polished SRT Rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM
soupa-bee

(Thread Starter)
they have a couple different mopar harnesses. the one i have been using for a standard HID kit and the one ill be using for the new lights is a relay harness, multiple grounds, and the capacitors to prevent the flickering...same as they have in their flicker eliminator harness. nothing to do with lows going off with highs or anything like that.

i know ive seen a lot of discussion about the 08s not needing the home made harness but i dont believe i heard a confirmation on that.

i will definitely ask if i run in to any issues. no doubt and thanks! reason i cant check is because its 120 miles away at the shop...hense the " dont have the car " statement hah.

#13 Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM
hskr

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
On my '08 runnign the D2S set up in the aftermarket projector housing I am just running a relay powered by the factory headlights to control the HIDs. No canbus eliminator, no capacitors, no anti-flicker harness. Switch on the headlights, it triggers the relay and the HIDs turn on. Power for HIDs come off the positive power post under the hood through the relay, not the factory harness. Never had an error code or anything.

Brian

#14 Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
soupa-bee

(Thread Starter)
Re: OEM projectors...whats needed exactly

So good news! Got the lights today. All is well.

Heres the situation. It looks like on these that there is only one input for both the lows and the highs. All the extensions ive seen made are only for the highs to work. No other socket to plug it in. All thats left is the three prong for the turns.

So, im assuming im going to need to do a variation of the harness but have a 9006 and a 9005 pigtail hanging off and just use the two top pins for lows and the bottom two for the highs.

Didnt see that issue mentioned when you guys got the aftermarkets...

sent from my samsung galaxy note 2
#15 Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 PM
hskr

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupa-bee View Post
So good news! Got the lights today. All is well.

Heres the situation. It looks like on these that there is only one input for both the lows and the highs. All the extensions ive seen made are only for the highs to work. No other socket to plug it in. All thats left is the three prong for the turns.

So, im assuming im going to need to do a variation of the harness but have a 9006 and a 9005 pigtail hanging off and just use the two top pins for lows and the bottom two for the highs.

Didnt see that issue mentioned when you guys got the aftermarkets...

Look above, one of my replies mentioned having to make a custom harness to go from your stock separate headlight connectors into the single OEM style plug on the projectors. There is a parts list in the one thread that lists the connectors and pins you will need. You have to assemble the connector yourself by crimping the pins on the wires and then inserting the pins in the headlights. Just make sure you have the polarity correct for the HIDs.
#16 Old 01-19-2013, 01:29 PM
soupa-bee

(Thread Starter)
^^^im pretty sure i ready through all the informative posts there. especially the first few with the parts mentioned. thing is, im not using the aftermarket ballast. so the green and black harness in the light is already being used by the oem ballast and cannot be hooked up to the harness on the car or anything. there no connection to the low beam other than the 4 cavity connector.

no issue making the harness but i wanted to make sure that i wasnt missing anything when it came to wiring it in. the picture just shows the hook up for the high beams. the pictures and instructions werent assuming the user had oem ballasts from what i see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0051.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	72652  
#17 Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 PM
hskr

If you want to do like I did, then you need to do exactly like in the pic for your high beams, and for the HIDs, power from the relay to the positive for the ballast, and ground I hooked to the grounding lug behind the headlight on the fender.

Basically just need to use the other two holes on the connector
#18 Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
soupa-bee

(Thread Starter)
Re: OEM projectors...whats needed exactly

Oh ok I gotcha. Saw that whole discussion a while back with xkr or whatever it is about relays. I like the idea but I want it to be as clean as I can. Ill stay with the ece harness.

Appreciate it! Love the cleverness of some of the things people come up with on this site!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List