Projectors or OEM housing? - Dodge Charger Forums
Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

#1 Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Jaynapier

(Thread Starter)
Projectors or OEM housing?

Hey guys!
I'm planning on replacing my halogen regular bulb with HID lights. I'm thinking about replacing my headlights housings with ones with projector in them(with or w/o halo's). What i'm wondering is, do you regret putting HID in OEM housings instead of using projectors, or is it OK with just the bulb replacement?

Is using projectors makes a big difference with visibility versus regular HID in OEM housing?

I looked at lights housing on different website such as ebay, ect... that have leds and projectors. Any comments on what to avoid, and ones that could be a good buy?

I will have to work on the fog lights after since one bulb died after only 12 months of life...

My ride's a 2010 R/T.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Martok

Don't buy the HIDs until you decide either way. My projector headlights are a different bulb type than my stock OEM. If you go the e-bay route, look at various sellers. You want to buy from the seller with the best feedback. Cheaper isn't always better. If you see 12 sellers selling something for $160 and 1 is selling it for $100 it's probably a return.

Light quality? Well it's kind of like comparing a Mag light with a $3 Walmart flashlight. You can turn the lense on the Mag light and focus the light into a tighter more concentrated beam. The Walmart flashlight just scatters the light everywhere.

I upgraded in the following order:
  1. Projector headlights - Came with halogen bulbs that were not as bright as what I had.
  2. HID fog lights - Provided a scatter of light. Stock bulbs are just for show. HIDs really make them functional.
  3. HID headlights - completed package and looks awesome!

In essence, I have the best of both. I have a finely focused beam that projects light down the road and off to the side. I also have my fogs to provide a scattered light to fill in areas my headlights don't quite reach. I wouldn't recommend running the regular halogens on projector lenses very long without HID on fogs. HIDs solves the weak halogen problem.

Does this help?

2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5

Spyder Halo/LED/Projection lights, 5k HID Lows & Fogs
K2 Black Honeycomb Grill w/ 1969 Charger Emblem
Custom Black Billet T-Shift w/ "Charger" engraving
30% Tint, all 5 windows, Class III Receiver
Diablosport (93 tune) CAI (generic/fender) R/T Exhaust.
#3 Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
sconnell80

I had HID's in my halogen housings at first, and what a difference. They were super bright and didnt need to use my highs at all. The only downfall is that the light is scattered everywhere and you see hot spots on the road. I switched over to oem projectors and what a difference that was. It puts the light on the road and to the side and looks amazing. It gives the front end a mean look and even meaner at night with the projectors. Alot of people are against putting HID bulbs in halogen projectors as it blinds oncoming traffic. If you are going to look into getting projectors hold off on getting bulbs cause some housings use different types of bulbs. You can get OEM projector repro's for the price of the aftermarket housings with the leds in them. If you want, you can take a look at my pics in my albums and see the difference in what the front end looks like, if it helps you make a decision.

2006 Charger SRT8 Brilliant Black, Options I, II, III with Sunroof. AIR HAMMER CAI, DiabloSport Predator Perf 93 CAI Custom Tune, 170* Tstat, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, Custom Reso Delete w/4" SS Rolled Tips, Mygig RER Navi with Lockpick and Backup Camera, OEM Projector Headlights w/HID 5000K Low, High and Fog Kit, Full Interior Led Mod, 5% Rear Window-15% Front Window Tint, Tinted Tails and Front Turn Signals, Double Tail Light Bulb Mod, Front Turn Signal Mod, LED Reverse Lights, BT Satin Oil Catch Can, Polished SRT Rims
#4 Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Jaynapier

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the comments!

I don't have money to waste, so next step for the exterior will be new projector housing with HID, and HID in fog lamps. I'm getting my InTune this week, so the project for the projectors will have to wait a bit...but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track!

Thanks!
#5 Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 PM
MotoAce51

I had HID's in the OEM housings and as stated above it was a world of difference. You can see everything and its awesome. I loved it. The down side is you blind other drivers. Sometimes you get flashed, then you really piss them off when you flash back. Its a common courtesy to install projectors with HID's.

After a few months I went with a set of projectors. I decided to go with the Spyder lights as you see on a bunch of sites including ebay. I wanted halo's and projectors so they worked for me. First, these were nice because they take the same bulb size as OEM. That way, if you had the HID's first, no need to get another set. Next they were easy to install. Once installed it took some adjusting to get the projectors to point right where they were supposed to. Once they were setup the light was focused and shined perfectly on the road and dont blind other drivers. A lot of people complain about eBay projectors but to be honest, they are right there with the expensive retrofit I did for my wife's vibe. I highly recommend them. Especially if you can get them at a good price. If you don't want to hook up the LED's or halo's, just keep them disconnected.

Another option is OEM projectors or a retrofit. OR an OEM projector retrofit. A little more in depth but they look good in the end.

2006 Charger R/T
- Carbon Fiber LMI Hammer Intake - Boss 22's - Blastin' Bobs 7db Reso Delete - Tranzformer Shift Kit - K&N CAI - DiabloSport - inTune CAI Tune - BT Catch Can - Tinted Marker's - 10000K HID - Halo & LED Headlights - CF Vinyl Dash & Door Pillar Overlay
#6 Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Martok

I think that's why HIDS are technically illegal. HID in a regular OEM housing are blinding. Put them in projectors and they are under control. If you see factory HIDs in premium vehicles they have technologies to keep the light in check so they don't blind ppl. I've had to recently lower my beam because I was getting too many flashes.
#7 Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
MotoAce51

Yes thats why they are illegal, but not a lot of people can tell whats OEM and whats definitely illegal. You will get away with it 99% of the time. Even OEM light housings react different with HID's. My 97 Lumina had HID's in the stock OEM housings and I never got flashed, and if I pulled up to a wall the light was decent without a lot of scattered light all over. My wife had a PT cruiser at the time and wanted pink headlights. So I installed HID's in her car. Pull up to the same wall and there was light scattered absolutely everywhere. You could even see some light spots hitting the peak of the garage 2nd story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List