Replaced my plugs today- very easy! - Page 13 - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#121 Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Sprintfan95

Send a message via Yahoo to Sprintfan95
Indexing the plug?

As we can see, this topic has been covered a lot and I just have one question. When we put the plugs in my brother's sprint car we do something called indexing the plugs. This is marking where the gap is and pointing the gap at the piston so you get the most spark and thus power pointed in the right direction. With these plugs dropping in from the top is there a correct direction to place them, or does it even matter that much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Jed's OCD

thanks to this thread, changed plugs today in just over 2 hours. couple of helpful hints.
1. coil pack on # 7, slide the vacuum canister type up and its much easier to get your wrenches in that tight space.
2. I stuffed a towel between the coil packs and the space just above the exhaust manifold and it saved me much agony when dropping a socket...it would just lie there on top of the towel waiting to be picked up
3. do this job on a cold engine in the am.

Jed's Obsessive Charger Disorder
Stone White Charger R/T R&T ~ Fully Loaded ~ Born June 20, 2008

Mods: Rear Tint, Daytona Cross Hairs, Demolded, Debadged, Halos, Ram Eyes, Bezel Switches, Seq Turn Signals, BT Goodies, BT Catch Can, Hood Struts, Tinted Tails, Custom Half Covers with LED's, Airaid CAI, Predator, Street Edge Coil Overs, Aces IV, 100% QB Fluids
Future Plans: Exhaust system

Winning pic: Oct-08 Picture contest
#123 Old 08-01-2009, 01:30 PM
carchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintfan95 View Post
As we can see, this topic has been covered a lot and I just have one question. When we put the plugs in my brother's sprint car we do something called indexing the plugs. This is marking where the gap is and pointing the gap at the piston so you get the most spark and thus power pointed in the right direction. With these plugs dropping in from the top is there a correct direction to place them, or does it even matter that much?
Some people have tried it over on LX forums... I don't remember it getting them much to make the shimming(i guess that's the only proper way to do it) of the plug worthwhile

2006 Inferno Red Charger R/T|Zoomers|C&L Intake|Retro Mag 500 Wheels|General Grabber UHP 255/55/18|Pedders Touring Plus w/ adjustable camber|Flat Black Daytona Grille|BT Catch Can|SRT-8 Rear Diffuser|Mopar Chin Spoiler|Hood Struts|No Side Moldings
#124 Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Sprintfan95

Send a message via Yahoo to Sprintfan95
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchitect View Post
Some people have tried it over on LX forums... I don't remember it getting them much to make the shimming(i guess that's the only proper way to do it) of the plug worthwhile
Cool, I won't worry about it then.
#125 Old 09-05-2009, 10:07 PM
closer9

Just wanted to say thanks to mnunes for such a great writeup. Just got to 30,000 in my '06 and it went really well.

Man, they sure looked like they needed to be replaced. O_O
#126 Old 09-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Jed's OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer9 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to mnunes for such a great writeup. Just got to 30,000 in my '06 and it went really well.

Man, they sure looked like they needed to be replaced. O_O
I think that is exactly what plugs should look like at 30K. Your not to rich or lean...right on the money!
#127 Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
rexrcr

Plug replacement

Hi Guys, I've benefited from many threads here and just giving a little back about my spark plug change experience on my '09 ex-Police Charger...

I've owned the car about one year and had only recently had a chance to change the plugs. I suspected they'd never been changed and discovered I was right. I pulled the original plugs out with over 107,000 miles on them and the car's been running great for me this past year. Gaps on the OE plugs were on average about 0.055". They didn't look much different from other used plugs pulled from 5.7's posted on this forum (other than big gaps).

I put in Champion 9055 Iridium plugs, purchased from Rock Auto for $5.56 each.

Job took less than 90 minutes and below is a photo of the tools I used. The Mac Tools spark plug install tool does speed things up without worry of cross tread as it's just rubber, has enough grip to spin the plugs as long as there's not much friction, meaning if you're cross threading the tool will loosen on the plug.

That's a 1/4" drive speed wrench, 6" long 1/4" drive extension and u-joint all for coil pack r&r. I did need the longer lever arm of the 3/8" drive socket wrench to remove such old plugs and was nervous with each tug as it made the typical dry thread screech I was saying prayers for a clean removal (and was granted!). I did not use a u-joint for actual plug r&r, just different length extensions on the plugs close to the firewall.

Best,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-20-10.25.44web.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	72586  
#128 Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
06Daytona

You'll get dinged for wasting money on the Iridium plugs. They probably won't hurt but since you just saw your car go 107k on OEM plugs, why mess with that record?

Top Banana Daytona #2700/4000
#129 Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
rexrcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Daytona View Post
You'll get dinged for wasting money on the Iridium plugs. They probably won't hurt but since you just saw your car go 107k on OEM plugs, why mess with that record?
Hmm, didn't know that they were original until pulling them, plus it seems Dodge has switched to Iridium as OE for '12. That and I barely have time for an oil change...
#130 Old 02-23-2014, 09:41 PM
SparksRT

I'm reviving an old thread because I have a relevant question that I didn't see addressed yet in this thread or the several other good spark plug threads. I'm getting ready to change my plugs. The owner's manual says gap should be .043. The Champion Copper Re14mcc4 plugs come with gap set to .045.

My question is whether you folks are actually slightly reducing the gap out of the box to the .043 spec, or are you calling .045 close enough and installing as they come?

2008 Inferno Red Charger R/T
Diablo Predator / JBA Cat-back Exhaust / Roto-fab CAI / BT Oil Catch Can / BFGoodrich g-Force KDWS 245/55ZR18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List