I refuse to believe that there is nothing we can do to stop this! - Page 27 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Anything not Charger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here, as long as it is work-safe. **Please post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in Charger Chat ONLY!**

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
The kids loved ours, he actually played in the school band with the kids...
The unarmed security guards in our HS were either having inappropriate relations with female students or selling drugs to the kids!

Guess you get what you pay for

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat the outcome is never good for the cat.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS837 View Post
Some would say that politeness would be a sham based on fear, me, I think it would be based on respect for the fact that a citizen would be able to defend his freedom from being assaulted. As a law abiding citizen, I would not fear other law abiding citizens.
Mutually assured destruction?

If somebody's afraid to assault or rob me, then I'd say it worked.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM

The usual goal of any kind of security plan is not always to "stop" a criminal, but to make other options appear easier and better to go after. They might not "fear" you, but they know it would be easier and safer to look elsewhere. That deterrent is something that can not be measured, but must be considered. I've seen articles with interviews of prisoners and one thing they do fear is civilians with guns!

2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten.
2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue
2007 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7l V8. mods have started...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Deux View Post
Mutually assured destruction?

If somebody's afraid to assault or rob me, then I'd say it worked.

If find it funny, as an old Cold Warrior, that the intelligentsia spent decades assuring that MAD was just insane, and could produce no good results. Then I watched as the nuclear threat to the planet faded....... felt pretty damn good.

Me, personally I think armed guards are not a good solution, I would be much happier letting willing staff take training and practice concealed carry on campus. Guards get bored, and a a visible single point failure. You know, as a bad guy, that taking out that one person, who is very visible, that you then have free reign over the rest of the school. And the high cost of such a program means it would be the first thing on the chopping block.

A sign out front that says "Please be aware that an unknown number of the staff of this facility are armed and trained to engage any threat to the facility. They are authorized to meet any threat with deadly force" would serve much better, I think, from a deterrence standpoint.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
Saratoga, NY gun show this weekend. I couldn't even get in, the lines were longer than I've ever seen.

My gun club sent an email warning of the protesters, three groups would be there, so please be civil and watch what you say.

Reality:
Pro second amendment rights group of at least 50 people.
Anti-gun group of one man with a sign, "Jesus, No Guns"
Soccer moms against violence, maybe 15-20 people.

Media slant, as reported: Ignored the sizable pro-2nd amendment group, focused on the soccer moms message, didn't show the HUGE line to get in the show... made it look like the majority want guns to go away, which was far from the reality.

Bottom line: You can't always believe what the media shows/tells you... take it with a grain of salt.

The city had two petitions, one supporting the show, one wanting it cancelled. The petition supporting the show far outweighed the opposition, the city council approved not just this show, but also the rest of the shows planned for the remainder of the year...

Whatever side you are on, let your voice be heard:

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-l...your-reps.aspx

Write/call your representatives and let them know how you feel. This is supposed to be how our system works, for US.

The truth about assault weapons:

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
Bottom line: You can't always believe what the media shows/tells you... take it with a grain of salt.
Really?

I was just reading the news story about that very show, in fact.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFO09R/T View Post
Guns don't kill people people kill people I exercise my rights to carry a firearm everyday to protect myself and family if everybody carried a gun stupid people would be far put weighted by good citizens who would stop them. I believe it's better to have it and never have to use it then need it and not have it. Rights not exercised are rights lost. I open carry 99% of the time and conceal very seldom
The fact that you cannot clearly type a sentence or use punctuation but still somehow qualified to carry a weapon is exactly the point. We arm idiots in this country then act shocked when they act like idiots.

Outlaw guns, stiffer sentences for illegal possession. Life terms for idiots that carry.

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON ....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM

Self-protection
The effectiveness and safety of guns used for personal defense is debated. Studies place the instances of guns used in personal defense as low as 65 thousand times per year, and as high as 2.5 million times per year. Under President Clinton, the Department of Justice conducted a survey in 1994 that placed the usage rate of guns used in personal defense at 1.5 million times per year.[69]

Between 1987 and 1990, McDowall found that guns were used in defense during a crime incident 64,615 times annually (258,460 times total over the whole period).[70] This equated to two times out of 1,000 incidents (0.2%) that occurred in this period.[70] For violent crimes, assault, robbery, and rape, guns were used 0.83% of the time in self-defense.[70] Of the times that guns were used in self-defense, 71% of the crimes were committed by strangers, with the rest of the incidents evenly divided between offenders that were acquaintances or persons well known to the victim.[70] In 28% of incidents where a gun was used for self-defense, victims fired the gun at the offender.[70] In 20% of the self-defense incidents, the guns were used by police officers.[70] During this same period, 1987 to 1990, there were 46,319 gun homicides,[71] and the National Crime Victimization Survey estimated that 2,628,532 nonfatal crimes involving guns occurred.[70]

McDowall's study for the American Journal of Public Health contrasted with the 1993 study by Kleck, who found that 2.45 million crimes were thwarted each year in the United States by guns, and in most cases, the potential victim never fired a shot.[72] The results of the Kleck studies have been cited many times in scholarly and popular media.[73][74][75][76][77][78][79]

McDowall cited methodological issues with the Kleck studies: (1) Kleck used a very small sample size and (2) did not confine the definition of self-defense to attempted victimizations where physical attacks had already commenced.[70] Kleck and Gertz said they used an anonymous random digit dialed telephone survey, and did not know the identities of the 4,977 interviewed. They said the quality of sampling procedures was well above the level common in national surveys, using a large, nationally representative survey.[80] A study of gun use in the 1990s by Hemenway at the Harvard Injury Control Research Center found that criminal use of guns was far more common than self-defense use.[81] According to the Kleck study most successful preventions of victimization were accomplished without a shot being fired, which are not counted as a self-defense firearm usage by either the Hemenway or McDowall studies.[70][72][81] Hemenway considered that the Kleck figure was inconsistent with other known statistics for crime, citing that Kleck's figures apparently showed that guns were used many times more often for self-defense in burglaries than there were reported incidents of burglaries of premises whose occupants were awake and armed with firearms.[82] Hemenway concluded that under reasonable assumptions of random errors in sampling, because of the rarity of the event, the 2.5 million figure should be considered only as the top end of a 0-2.5 million confidence interval, suggesting a highly unreliable result that is probably a gross overestimate, with the true figure one tenth that amount or less. Alternative explanations could be that many more burglaries occurred than were reported to police, and/or people overreported their use of their guns for self-defense in burglaries.

States in the highest quartile for gun ownership had homicide rates 114% higher than states in the lowest quartile of gun ownership.[83] Non-gun-related homicide rates were not significantly associated with rates of firearm ownership.[83]

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM

Here is some info for those of you who favor free guns

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Which is all well and fine. But would you let an argument about the misuses of free speech vs the amount of time free speech has been used to actually save someone sway your opinion of the validity of the first amendment.

Remember, all this talk of self defense and hunting aside, there is one real reason intended by the founders for the second amendment. The most important one, which none of your stats have any bearing on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.