8.4 Touchscreen Issues - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +) You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 AM
Jrappleguy

(Thread Starter)
8.4 Touchscreen Issues

I have a 2012 SXT Plus AWD and I am having a problem that is pissing me off. Since the weather has changed and it has been getting colder here in South Jersey, my touchscreen is not responding almost completely at times. When I start up my car the screen allows me maybe one touch and then nothing else. This is especially annoying when you have your heated seats on full blast during a remote start and when they finally get too warm you cant shut them down. Is anyone else having this issue. Also, I've noticed that when it does lock me out, I can use the radio knobs to partially unfreeze the screen for the radio but all other controls are still stuck. I do hope this is a fix the dealer can do cause I really hope i don't need a new screen. Cause i know it'll have to be ordered and take more time.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 AM
FORSETI

No problems with mine, and I live in Michigan, so we haven't had a day above freezing in awhile now. Even a couple days in the low teens. Its been flawless.

2012 Charger SXT, 3.6L, 8-Speed, Rallye, Tungsten Metallic
#3 Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM
KJT38

Probably time to go to the dealer (which is a pain). Live in upstate NY and it has been cold and I have not had any problems with the screen.
#4 Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Jrappleguy

(Thread Starter)
thanks guys and i'm heading there on wednesday, so i'll post after i get back...
#5 Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Try licking your finger before using the touch screen...seriously.

The touch screen works on conductivity and if your skin is too dry, it won't respond. It's an old problem that first showed up on the touch pad mouse on laptops. People in Arizona would complain in the winter that their touch-pad stopped working. Turned out their skin on their fingers was too dry to provide enough conductivity and the techincal solution was to lick their fingers before using the touch pad. Kinda like licking you fingers to turn the page in a magazine (in that case it's friction, but same idea).

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#6 Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Jrappleguy

(Thread Starter)
Well to update this post, problem was too big for the dealer and when speaking to Chrysler, dealer was told to hook up car remotely so ECM can be observed by the home land. And that's it. No more on this cause I traded in the car that day and got a hell of a deal on a 2012 Pitch Black V6 Sxt plus RWD charger with almost all options I was missing from my AWD. Has every thing but adaptive cruise package. So, that's it for this thread.

One final note if anyone has this problem don't hesitate and go tell the dealer cause they may not know what is wrong yet.
#7 Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
AK47

Same problem with 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrappleguy View Post
I have a 2012 SXT Plus AWD and I am having a problem that is pissing me off. Since the weather has changed and it has been getting colder here in South Jersey, my touchscreen is not responding almost completely at times. When I start up my car the screen allows me maybe one touch and then nothing else. This is especially annoying when you have your heated seats on full blast during a remote start and when they finally get too warm you cant shut them down. Is anyone else having this issue. Also, I've noticed that when it does lock me out, I can use the radio knobs to partially unfreeze the screen for the radio but all other controls are still stuck. I do hope this is a fix the dealer can do cause I really hope i don't need a new screen. Cause i know it'll have to be ordered and take more time.

Jeff

I have had a 2013 SXT+ AWD since last October... yesterday the touch screen stopped responding to touch for the most part. When it does recognize a touch, it thinks I'm holding the button down. I tapped on a radio station favorite until it finally recognized me touching it, but stayed lit up like I was holding my finger on it and reprogrammed the station. I replicated that several times. Not being able to turn off heated seats definitely sucks when you don't want them on. I haven't made it to the dealer yet but this unit is definitely getting replaced.
#8 Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 AM
acilis1

8.4 Touchscreen Issues

Mine did the same thing. More than once. Car is scheduled for a new radio this week...which will make my third radio!

Must be a common issue.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#9 Old 01-28-2013, 09:08 AM
djtuzik

crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acilis1 View Post
Mine did the same thing. More than once. Car is scheduled for a new radio this week...which will make my third radio!

Must be a common issue.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
My NAV does not work, I have a 2013 HEMI.
I can't put in the address.
I took it to the dealer, they don't know, they contacted Chrysler. It has been a week.
I called Chrysler for an update, the guy told me no answer, I told him I need a timeline. He told me " Sir, do you think I have a magic wand to fix your gps?"

wow, and than people ask why Detroit is going bankrupt. In case they didn't realize, I got the car to drive it to work, not walk while they are diagnosing the issue...
#10 Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
lokerola

Yea, mine is the dealership a second time due to power cutting out to the Nav. They've replaced the Nav unit once and it didn't fix it. I'm hoping for the best, but honestly; I'm expecting the worst.

"a powerful engine that is not as made as SRT8 but no dull as a hybrid; it lies in the comfort zone somewhere in the middle."

2011 R/T R&T STP, Flowmasters, tint, K&N filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Charger Problems/Assistance (2011 +)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List