Why SRT is falling behind - Page 10 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 AM

My Charger: 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Don't worry about the Viper, I bet next year it comes out with 700+ HP and enough oats all around to spank the Vette. The world beating Viper was the ACR - and the new version of that is still yet to come.

Be happy there is actually competition and HP wars going on between auto makers. ASIDE from that I am willing to bet the "normal" Viper bagged the ZR1 in Chrysler testing, and these ones might be ringers judging by the dyno numbers that edmunds posted for the car they gave them.

With a blower and mag suspension its a few keyboard clicks to make that car anything they want and it showed 20 more WHP in the tests. Chryslers own ZR1 put down 529 WHP, the edmunds press car put down 578.

Its like the 60's all over again when GM use to give out press tri-power 389 GTO's that actually had 421's in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Death View Post
Just about everyone I know who has driven a Challenger, says it would be their car of choice if they were going on a long trip over the other cars in the same 'category'. It is definitely much more of a touring car at heart.
Which is why its kinda odd they skinned such a car as a "Muscle car" Challenger. Everyone sells their tourers as personal luxury coupes, but would a 300C Coupe sell as well as the Challenger? Its possible, but I'd personally rather have a Challenger with suspension settings and an attitude that can change it from a grand tourer to a race car at the push of a button, which is kinda what they did with it for 2012. Still needs to lose some bulk IMO.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 AM

My Charger: 2008 Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
Still needs to lose some bulk IMO.
Yes it does.

Sent from my "HD" Pantech Breakout using the free version of AutoGuide

U.S. Army 15F Aircraft Electrician
South Korea: '07-'08. Iraq: '08-'09. Afghanistan: '10-'11 and '13-'14. And No More To Come

Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
Don't worry about the Viper, I bet next year it comes out with 700+ HP and enough oats all around to spank the Vette. The world beating Viper was the ACR - and the new version of that is still yet to come.

Be happy there is actually competition and HP wars going on between auto makers. ASIDE from that I am willing to bet the "normal" Viper bagged the ZR1 in Chrysler testing, and these ones might be ringers judging by the dyno numbers that edmunds posted for the car they gave them.

With a blower and mag suspension its a few keyboard clicks to make that car anything they want and it showed 20 more WHP in the tests. Chryslers own ZR1 put down 529 WHP, the edmunds press car put down 578.

Its like the 60's all over again when GM use to give out press tri-power 389 GTO's that actually had 421's in them.
The new Viper gets owned by the CURRENT Corvette

When the C7 comes out it will crap all over the Viper

The Viper was cute for a couple generations but that old technology can't match modern engines and suspensions

The Viper should cost much less

Not like it has much technology in it

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keavdog View Post
from a friend of mine who is a huge srt fan....

Just saw the most recent Car & Driver mag at the grocery store tonight - the feature article was a head to head test of the Viper vs the ZR1... CD's test results were similar to Motor Trends which Ralph Gilles was grousing about a few weeks ago.

Car & Driver also tested the cars.at Laguna Seca... the ZR-1 lapped 2 seconds quicker than the Viper... which is a huge disparity in performance, and consistent with the times that Motor Trend saw there.

Also, the Vette slalomed faster, and could pull higher lateral Gs than the Viper.

The only edge the Viper has is at the 1/4 mile - where it nipped the Vette by 1/10th. You'd think with a brutish V-10 it would dominate in the straight line. However, trap speed for the Viper was a couple mph lower showing that it's running out of steam in a race against a Vette. In fact, the Vette was 2 seconds quicker in 0-150 mph acceleration than the Viper. In 1/2 mile or longer drag races, the Vette will win.

Yet the Viper is $10,000 more expensive than the Vette. Very disappointing. I was expecting a world-beater, but it can't even beat it's domestic competition. The Viper is a beautiful car, but can't hang with the Corvette.

Like I said - SRT needs to step up or drop the moniker...
You don't even have to go to a ZR1

A 2013 Z06 will mop the floor with a Viper on a road course
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Randy thought that the Viper felt quicker than the ZR1 in a straight line. Carlos chalks that up to the near complete lack of sound deadening in the cabin. The noise is brutal. Regardless, we know the cars are just as quick as each other. It was the SRT’s inferior shocks and brakes that prevented Randy from going totally flat in the Viper. Years ago, a Ferrari engineer was explaining to Randy, Angus and I that they (Ferrari) simply couldn’t figure out how the Nissan GT-R is able to lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife so quickly. “Oh, I know why,” Randy piped up. “Confidence. You can drive it faster because you’re more confident.” This seems to be exactly the case here with these two muscle-bound freaks. While eerily similar in almost every respect, on the track the ZR1 is the clear winner. Of course, we’ve known how good big-dog Corvettes are as track monsters for some time. Remember, the second-fastest car Randy’s ever flung around Laguna Seca is a 2012 Corvette Z06. Of course, this generation of Corvette is going out of production very soon. Moreover, this is SRT’s first effort with the new Viper. I can assure you that in a few years’ time we’ll be staging the new Viper ACR against the C7 Corvette Z-whatever. Until then, the Corvette ZR1 is the King of the Hill.
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2Gv1zsAwm
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 AM

Ddaddy, the only thing your missing to make it look like a TRUE 70's throwback world eater we all know and love is a blower sticking out of the hood
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 AM

The true test between these cars will be on battle of the super cars or something of that nature, not in some gay ass magazine test which are always B.S no matter which brand of car you like! I remember the old battle of the super cars between a 2010 Viper@605hp vs the 2010 ZR1@638hp and the Viper wore the Vette out 0-140 then the Vette came back and went by the Viper for the win at like 150-160 because the Viper's top gear was more like overdrive which isn't the case anymore, but how much mile or more racing does anybody do. The Viper also beat the Vette on the road course because the guy driving it said you can't be afraid of the Viper. The Viper also won the 0-60 with more weight and less power and TQ. The new Viper interior is way better than the Vettes and the Viper's new technology is amazing as well. It's funny how people who don't understand the Viper wish to bash on it. The Viper is meant to be a real mans car, like Ralph Giles said when this new version was complete it was meant to still retain the beast like nature it has always had and thats what the buyer's and enthusiast of a Viper have grown to love, but it will have much improved performance to be able to build and grow from. Viper is meant to be it's own breed and not try to be like Ferrari, Porsche, Audi, etc. It is not meant to be totally refined and make it so you can drink Champagne with your pinky out while driving a road course. Also I love how the article boasts how a 2012 ZR1 bested a 2010 Viper's record, well it took them 2 years and a car that has been revised and improved since 2005. Can you imagine where the new Viper will be in 7 years? To me Viper is like the SRT line you either like it or don't. Personally I love them.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaesar View Post

The Viper was cute for a couple generations but that old technology can't match modern engines and suspensions

Nurburgring fastest times: http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Check out number 4: a VIPER, 2008 at that! ZR1 is "just a few spots" down, and a 2011 ZO6 is even further down the list. Point of this reply is that quote what you want to, there is ALWAYS something that can be found to refute what you have to allege. "Viper gets owned by a Vette?" I think not. At least not in this case.

It's obviously clear, you dislike (hate) anything SRT, but before you spout off further, maybe you'd like to refute this? Or are you going to ignore, just as you did in my prior posting refuting your assumptions with FACT (it's post #53 on page 6, should you need a reminder)? I guess I'm just not that "intellectually inclined" for you?

Saying a car "gets owned" and proving it are two different things.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaesar View Post

What old technology? Adaptive Brembos? 640 HP VCT V10? Please point out the "old technology" thats somehow less superior than the simple-as-it-gets roots blown pushrod V8 in the ZR1??

I am sitting here laughing at how butt hurt you are about SRT lol. Are you mad that they updated the 06-10 Charger or something? Or did YOU get mopped up by a 2012 Charger R/T?

Last edited by TurboAWD; 01-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.