2013 R/T steering wheel leather cracking... - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Interior Discussion/Modifications Discussion about modification of the interior of the vehicle. Such as the addition of mp3 players, dash kits, etc.

#11 Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 AM
SXTPLUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
The only other thing I can think of that led to this was frequent use of the heated steering feature in freezing climates..

Then again, I'm sure the Chrysler engineers took this into consideration..
Hope all works out with the dealer!! If Dodge won't replace it, may I suggest using mink oil on your wheel to keep it from getting worse and condition the leather. I've used it on my Nissan SE-R and Charger for years and it still looks and feels new.

I got it at Walmart. I applied the paste on thick with a rag. Let it soak for a few minutes and buff it off. (doesn't leave the wheel sticky or clammy)

I know dodge recommends not to use anything on their leather but if it's cracking, it couldn't hurt and it might just stop future cracking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
michiganpat

are you married? does your wife drive it? I know my mom's wedding ring used to tear up the steering wheels on our cars growing up...

just a thought

'11 Toxic Orange Charger R/T
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
'76 Plymouth Duster
#13 Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Splat

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post
are you married? does your wife drive it? I know my mom's wedding ring used to tear up the steering wheels on our cars growing up...

just a thought
Ha no, this car was my Happy Your Divorced present to myself lol.
#14 Old 01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
jking280

Same Issue With My Steering Wheel

Hey I bought a 2013 Charger back in October and now the steering wheel is cracking. Both corporate and the dealership say there is no fix. I was wondering what outcome you got. Did they repair it? If so what did you do to get them to do so? Please let me know.
#15 Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM
HemiMedic

What kind of cleaners did you use on it, if any at all? Some are known to potentially dry out and crack leather, those with alcohol based products in the ingredients.
#16 Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 AM
RT_HEMICHARGED

Why is the dealer giving you a hard time about replacing it? Your car is under warranty for 3 years/36,000 miles for that kind of stuff. It doesn't cost the dealership anything to replace it, as they get paid by Chrysler to do warranty repairs like this.

Just a little side story... My dad has a 2013 Dodge Dart. My mom was sitting in the passenger seat while my Dad was driving one day, and the sun was in her eyes, so she pulled the Visor down hard and snapped it off the post where it goes into the roof. It was replaced under warranty.

2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus - SOLD
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye Multiair Turbo - SOLD
2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 - The new whip
#17 Old 02-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Eleanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post

just a thought
My first thought too. Also why many used cars have a notch in the wheel near 12 oclock

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Black 2006 SXT - CAI, NOESP Mod, Tinted Tails, Tinted Windows, Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS.

West Michigan Charger Owners (Group)

#18 Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Stevens12

My steering wheel did the same thing at the 12 position. The first dealership I took it to pulled the same thing with me and said it was my fault and my wedding ring was "nicking" the leather. Now.. like you I was under warranty and felt it should be covered because I know it wasn't my fault. I called another dealership that has seen this before and had NO problem replacing the wheel under warranty. They claimed it's from the heated steering wheel causing the leather to delaminate from the steering wheel causing the issue. Dodge had no problems replacing.

Fairfield Dodge In Muncy Pa, Chip is the service manager. Maybe he can shed some light on the topic on how to get it covered at your dealership.

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
#19 Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 AM
jking280

Thanks guys. I haven't used any type of cleaner on the wheel. I am going to contact another dealer like Stevens12 suggested. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Interior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List