Why SRT is falling behind - Page 9 - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.

#81 Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Firegod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13WhiteSRT View Post
Either way, styling MUST be at the forefront.
I'm in full agreement there. Styling (both exterior and interior) are by far my primary factor in purchasing a car. Power and speed only play a factor after the first two are taken care of.

I love the exterior of the new Camaro......hate the interior. Hate the exterior and interior of the new Mustang. Love both on my Charger.

After reading through this thread, I would highly recommend reading Bob Lutz's book "Car Guys vs. Bean Counters." While primarily GM based (and a little self-aggrandising) Lutz does a good job of showing the mind set of the automotive world when it comes to car design and engine decisions.

It's a good and easy read, even for us color and comic book types.

FG

"Victorious warriors win first, and then go to war....
while defeated warriors go to war seeking to win."

-Sun Tzu

Last edited by Firegod; 01-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#82 Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
TurboAWD
Banned User

Quote:

Perhaps the answer is keeping a larger model with a wee bit less performance (or at least two performance levels-N/A and SC versions) and the smaller platform to compete on a level playing field with the smaller Camaros and Mustangs?
Either way, styling MUST be at the forefront. I, for one, will not buy a Camaro or Mustang wanna be, no matter if it had 800hp. Would love to see the 99 Charger concept come to life. JMHO, Tom
Your analogy is actually what is believed to be happening. The new 2015 Challenger is said to still be large (but not as big as it is now), and the 'Cuda will be the smaller Camaro and Mustang fighter (those both shrinking themselves for 2014 / 2015). If Ralph and team can style a modern 70 Cuda that beats the Camaro and Mustang at their own game, I think they'll have a winner on their hands.

New Challenger just has to lose some mid section and girth to be perfect IMO. Done right it'll look even more like a 70 Challenger and likely lose a few hundred pounds in the process.
#83 Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM
MCaesar

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAWD View Post
Your analogy is actually what is believed to be happening. The new 2015 Challenger is said to still be large (but not as big as it is now), and the 'Cuda will be the smaller Camaro and Mustang fighter (those both shrinking themselves for 2014 / 2015). If Ralph and team can style a modern 70 Cuda that beats the Camaro and Mustang at their own game, I think they'll have a winner on their hands.

New Challenger just has to lose some mid section and girth to be perfect IMO. Done right it'll look even more like a 70 Challenger and likely lose a few hundred pounds in the process.
They also need a factory convertible

Chrysler should become a leader for a change and have a convertible that actually seats 4 adults

2006 SRT8 228,000 miles+ (ordered with F1s and options)

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
#84 Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
...Would love to see the 99 Charger concept come to life. JMHO, Tom
Yep, but with a more retro twist...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger Concept Ddaddy 8.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	72398  

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#85 Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
13WhiteSRT

My favorite color, only needs a white R/T rear stripe and it's perfect!! I'm sold!! Might even say bye to my SRT. Ralph, you listening?
#86 Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
Quote:
My favorite color, only needs a white R/T rear stripe and it's perfect!! I'm sold!! Might even say bye to my SRT. Ralph, you listening?
As you requested...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charger Concept Ddaddy 12a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	72412  
#87 Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM
MCO_Death

Send a message via AIM to MCO_Death Send a message via Yahoo to MCO_Death Send a message via Skype™ to MCO_Death
Quote:
I think we, as enthusiasts, are threading a very fine line in indicating we want lighter, smaller versions of what we already have. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it.
I have a 2010 Challenger R/TC and a 2013 SRT Charger. One of the main reasons I decided on these cars rather than the competition, in addition to the styling, was the size. I have taken my Challenger on three, over 2500 mile trips, and cannot express how great the car is as a tourer. I have spent time in both the Camaro and the Mustang, and there is no way I'd like to spend that much time/mileage in either.

Perhaps the answer is keeping a larger model with a wee bit less performance (or at least two performance levels-N/A and SC versions) and the smaller platform to compete on a level playing field with the smaller Camaros and Mustangs?
Either way, styling MUST be at the forefront. I, for one, will not buy a Camaro or Mustang wanna be, no matter if it had 800hp. Would love to see the 99 Charger concept come to life. JMHO, Tom
Just about everyone I know who has driven a Challenger, says it would be their car of choice if they were going on a long trip over the other cars in the same 'category'. It is definitely much more of a touring car at heart.
#88 Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
13WhiteSRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
As you requested...

I wonder...if I eat all my vegetables.........and say all my prayers....will Dodge have pity and make one? Make mine w/ a 392 and a six speed, please
#89 Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
Quote:
I wonder...if I eat all my vegetables.........and say all my prayers....will Dodge have pity and make one? Make mine w/ a 392 and a six speed, please
Perhaps...but just to be sure you have a full dream image, I added a few details...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charger Concept Ddaddy Best 4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	72413  
#90 Old 01-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Keavdog

from a friend of mine who is a huge srt fan....

Just saw the most recent Car & Driver mag at the grocery store tonight - the feature article was a head to head test of the Viper vs the ZR1... CD's test results were similar to Motor Trends which Ralph Gilles was grousing about a few weeks ago.

Car & Driver also tested the cars.at Laguna Seca... the ZR-1 lapped 2 seconds quicker than the Viper... which is a huge disparity in performance, and consistent with the times that Motor Trend saw there.

Also, the Vette slalomed faster, and could pull higher lateral Gs than the Viper.

The only edge the Viper has is at the 1/4 mile - where it nipped the Vette by 1/10th. You'd think with a brutish V-10 it would dominate in the straight line. However, trap speed for the Viper was a couple mph lower showing that it's running out of steam in a race against a Vette. In fact, the Vette was 2 seconds quicker in 0-150 mph acceleration than the Viper. In 1/2 mile or longer drag races, the Vette will win.

Yet the Viper is $10,000 more expensive than the Vette. Very disappointing. I was expecting a world-beater, but it can't even beat it's domestic competition. The Viper is a beautiful car, but can't hang with the Corvette.

Like I said - SRT needs to step up or drop the moniker...

John

09 RT. 11.796 @ 113.15
11 IE Challenger 392 #787 (Sold)
13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392
15 Challenger Hellcat <- soon....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List