2013 R/T steering wheel leather cracking... - Dodge Charger Forums
Interior Discussion/Modifications Discussion about modification of the interior of the vehicle. Such as the addition of mp3 players, dash kits, etc.

#1 Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Splat

(Thread Starter)
2013 R/T steering wheel leather cracking...

Hey gang,

The leather on my steering wheel has started to crack around the 6 o'clock posistion and is spreading. Took it to the dealer and they are saying its my fault because I scratched it and the tightness of the leather has started to make it crack and peel...which I said was BS and pointed out other lines around the whole steering wheel where it appears the leather is starting to crack.

They are taking pics and sending it to Big Dodge to see if its a warranty item or not but in the mean time...

Anyone know a good place to get a steering wheel cover? I went to AutoZone and spent like an hour trying to find one that I like and FIT because most of them didn't...is there a certain size we are looking for???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Stumblin Steve
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Hey gang,

The leather on my steering wheel has started to crack around the 6 o'clock posistion and is spreading. Took it to the dealer and they are saying its my fault because I scratched it and the tightness of the leather has started to make it crack and peel...which I said was BS and pointed out other lines around the whole steering wheel where it appears the leather is starting to crack.

They are taking pics and sending it to Big Dodge to see if its a warranty item or not but in the mean time...

Anyone know a good place to get a steering wheel cover? I went to AutoZone and spent like an hour trying to find one that I like and FIT because most of them didn't...is there a certain size we are looking for???
I found that the covers you buy at AutoZone and the like are terrible quality. What I mean by this is, my brother used one from there and over time it put all these indents on his leather wheel that could not be removed. I guess it had to do with the construction of the cover, possibly support ribs or something.

So my advice, try using Wheel Skins though more expensive (about $40-$45) it's genuine leather and you have to sew it onto your steering wheel. So not only are you protecting it, it looks good too and not tacky. The only ***** is sewing the cover takes a lot of time.

Just your friendly neighborhood...Charger
'08 SXT Bright Silver. Dark slate interior. OEM MOPAR pedals/hood struts/CAI/Chin Spoiler. R/T true dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow tips. SRT8 rear diffuser. Predator 93 Tune. Lots of B.T. Stuff!
Comprehensive V6 Performance Thread
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
#3 Old 01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Splat

(Thread Starter)
I actually took it to the dealership today and the service department took pictures but they said it looks like I did something to it, like I dragged something against the leather to make the scratch and now its seperating...BS, didn't do anything to it and its cracking in places besides just the 6 o'clock posistion.

I bought a cheap 5 dollar neoprene stretch cover for now just to protect it from getting damaged more, it looks like crap but its functional.

I did check out the Wheel Skins but don't know if I like the idea of sewing what looks like a leather bag around my stearing wheel, looks kinda funky.
#4 Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM
hskr

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
I don't know why you would put a leather cover over a leather steering wheel anyways. They work good for covering the old cheap plastic or rubber ones though.

Brian

#5 Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
TheTrooper

White Knuckler

You sure you didn't let some little ricer driver get behind the wheel?... He probably was holding on for dear life once he hit the peddle..

2010 R/T AWD: Diablo Predator, 20inch Reso's No Muffler, AFE CAI,170,Homemade Catch Can.
#6 Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
POWERMAN

@Splat: how many months have you had your car now?

Do you have any pics of this?
#7 Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM
jp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Hey gang,

I have one from Advance Auto Parts, smooth black leather with gray/white stitching. Doesn't even look like a cover.
#8 Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Splat

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
@Splat: how many months have you had your car now?

Do you have any pics of this?
I've had it since end of September...so we are going on 4 months and less than 3000 miles. I can take pics easy enough I guess...

@ JP13, I've seen that one at Autozone and other places but they just don't seem to fit right and are a hell of a stretch to get on...don't want to damage the leather more either.

I'm going to see what Dodge says and keep on the look out for a cover, looked at a whole new steering wheel and they were about $300 bucks, no thanks.
#9 Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM
WhiteChargersrt8

Humm. Can you show us some pictures? Make sure I know what to look for on mines.

Last edited by WhiteChargersrt8; 01-03-2013 at 05:29 AM.
#10 Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 AM
POWERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteChargersrt8 View Post
Humm. Can you show us some pictures? Make sure I know what to look for on mines.
The only other thing I can think of that led to this was frequent use of the heated steering feature in freezing climates..

Then again, I'm sure the Chrysler engineers took this into consideration..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Interior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List